If you buy hay, get it now.

Gump

Normally I bale my own or pay $1.75/bale from the guy I let cut my field. Just paid $4.50/$5/ bale at auction in Carrollton. It's going higher elsewhere.

At $5/ bale, I'll be baling my own damn hay next year.

sure someone (the person selling it)didn't run up the price on you?

nobody ran it up. Its called cause and effect, the cause was the draught and the effect is higher hay prices. We just ordered some over in PA for $4.50 per

And this is just orchard grass mix. 1st or 2nd cutting didn't seem to matter none this year since its so high already. Alfalfa went at $6/7 but it was wet. Someone got screwed.

The last hundred bales we bought were $7/ bale. Prices are expected to top out at $12/$15 bale by the time spring roles around. We just found some for $3. The key is to find small hay farmers. They are much more reasonably priced. Our neighbor needs 2000 bales to get him through. That is a big nut to crack.

The last hundred bales we bought were $7/ bale. Prices are expected to top out at $12/$15 bale by the time spring roles around. We just found some for $3. The key is to find small hay farmers. They are much more reasonably priced. Our neighbor needs 2000 bales to get him through. That is a big nut to crack.

Yea thats the market. No run up that auction. If the hay was decent its a pretty good price right now. I dont think many people will run up the price on a load of hay. If they are bidding on hay its because they need it or believe they can sell it else where for more.

My dad usually makes a few thousand bales each year to sell locally. He didnt want to increase his prices much because he has regular customers. However I think he could have doubled the price and the customers still would have been glad to pay it. My mom's mad because he made much less than normal due to the low production.

This year the market is going to be very expensive, though I cant imagine $12-$15. Most farmers will cull herds before paying that much as it would put them out of business. Especially as corn will be going up too.

Craig

^buy all you can and have tomcat move it to the auction for yeah?

I wont be back up there again for a couple weeks. Plus I drive a BMW. Can't get much hay in that lol. I remember seeing a sign for it by the Van Wert County fairgrounds.

The auction guy was talking that some days it's high somedays it's low. You just have to come and see how the bidding's going I guess if you have time to try and get a better deal.