Paint bike - PlastiDip ?

NinjaDoc

Been looking at several stuffs online about plastidip, seems like a reasonable, economical and correctable mistake to try new colors on bike. I remember thread by brown plastidipping the rims, came out good. Any body actually did it on the fairings?

Nothing important, just some random thought in mind as i am sitting at home NOT RIDING due to the suckanova weather killing some time off which i took for riding 2 weeks earlier. This is the outcome of idle hands, didnt know where to head to, just wanted a red black color scheme. Should have chose a better picture to work on and not with hefty bags and tank bag.

color-scheme-copy.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY&feature=g-vrec

Edited by NinjaDoc

Its probably no different than just paint......... Make sure the surfaces are well cleaned and scuffed. Should stick just as good. I did a accord hood with rattle can primer and power washed it all that summer..... Never came off. Its all in how well prep the surfaces are.....

Its probably no different than just paint......... Make sure the surfaces are well cleaned and scuffed. Should stick just as good. I did a accord hood with rattle can primer and power washed it all that summer..... Never came off. Its all in how well prep the surfaces are.....

Thats the thing, most people are using plastidip because they DONT want to scuff the area, like myself. I want to be able to take it off at some point and have the original paint intact, which I think is what Doc is wanting to do.

I was going to plastidip the wheels on the colorado a few months back and opted not too. Apparently it leaves a rubbery feel to it, and doesn't wash well. Another thing I had read was that goo gone will actually remove it. So if you do wash it, you probably want to be very careful to pick a cleaner that will not remove the dip. I never did come across anyone who had done it, and completely removed it, so I don't know how well it removes.

Find my thread of me doing my wheels on my car.

It has held up great do far! I did not scuff the rims before hand just wiped them down and started spraying. I power wash them every time I clean the car and no problems so far

The PlastiDip Videos on YouTube make it look like it would be worth a go. You now have me thinking about it. They also have a gloss coating to make it as shiny as you choose, or you can stay with the matte finish.

As for it's durability, I think if enough coats are applied, it would hold up quite well, according to what I've seen on the videos. I'd like to see the finished result in person, and after a year, also, before I try it myself. I did see that it's easily repairable.

I'm not thrilled about the paint scheme on my bike and if I could easily change it without damage to the original finish there just may be some appeal here for me.

Just from a painters stand point i wouldnt do it..... Never seen something that was put over a finish that didnt damage it in some way. If this stuff can just be "peeled off" its not gonna stay and will look like crap after a period of time. Moisture will work in that void if its not actually adhered to the surface. Guess the only thing is its a cheap fix when it does go south.......

Just from a painters stand point i wouldnt do it..... Never seen something that was put over a finish that didnt damage it in some way. If this stuff can just be "peeled off" its not gonna stay and will look like crap after a period of time. Moisture will work in that void if its not actually adhered to the surface. Guess the only thing is its a cheap fix when it does go south.......

You may have a point when it comes to the body parts, but wheels are probably OK. Those tend to have the toughest clear coat possible from my experience. The GF actually curbed the shit out of one of my wheels on a gas pump concrete island and I was able to buff all of the scuffing off except where it actually dug into the aluminum on the lip.

I Plastidipped the rims on my GTI and the finish has stood up with no issues. I've washed it several times since doing it. If I had some extra cash and the right facilities, I wouldn't mind spraying the entire car matte black.