Power is out for several days...

r1crusher

So the power goes out around 12:30pm today here and it's still out. Called the power company to see how long before they restore the service. And I quote, "The outage on your street has been reported and it's our suggestion that you seek alternate housing as it will probably be several days before service is restored." Several days? Really? A medium sized pine tree needs cut off the power lines and then connect the line back together is "days"? There about 70 houses here without power and everyone else around us has power. Hell, I left to go work from someplace with power and I'm sure we're the only casualty in our entire little city.

I'm tempted to just drive down the street with my chainsaw in the car and save them the extraordinarily long time it's going to take to cut it down so they can get to fixing it faster.

I know...there's people out there with bigger problems but I'm important too.

:(

Sucks man, got a genny or a nice neighbor that would allow a couple extensions to run the fridge and other necessities?

All the houses next to us are on the same line and out as well. Our neighbor behind us would probably let us at least run a line to keep the fridge going.

Cold enough outside to put food in a cooler and leave it outside.

If the lines are still connected dont mess with it.

It's still in the mid 40's here right now but we're trying to stay out of it to keep things as cold as possible.

If things aren't fixed by morning I guess I'll have to schlep it out to the local stores and see if anyone has any generators left. I know enough guys that race that have them but they're hours away to even ask to borrow one.

We lost power for almost 24 hours. It seems that it is just our street and street behind us that lose power. There is one apartment building and maybe 25 houses. I have a generator and a detached garage. I do not have the generator wired into the house through and quick panel yet. Currently, I fire up the generator in the detached garage and then plug the fridge into my extention cord from the camper we used to have. The only provision for heat I have is either a small space heater or a larger radiant heater. So, if i am home I can manually plug in whatever device, heat or refridge. The generator is gas powered, 4000 watt. I may look for a whole house unit or at least a generator that can run on gas, propane or natural gas.

If power goes out in the winter and it would several days to weeks, how long before the concern about the water pipes freezing?

i'm gonna finally plunk down for a decent sized inverter genny i think (after the craze and they are over stocked, i mean). how much power do you suppose is good for keeping heater, fridge, tv, and a couple lights on?

So the power goes out around 12:30pm today here and it's still out. Called the power company to see how long before they restore the service. And I quote, "The outage on your street has been reported and it's our suggestion that you seek alternate housing as it will probably be several days before service is restored." Several days? Really? A medium sized pine tree needs cut off the power lines and then connect the line back together is "days"? There about 70 houses here without power and everyone else around us has power. Hell, I left to go work from someplace with power and I'm sure we're the only casualty in our entire little city.

I'm tempted to just drive down the street with my chainsaw in the car and save them the extraordinarily long time it's going to take to cut it down so they can get to fixing it faster.

I know...there's people out there with bigger problems but I'm important too.

:(

Youve got a track generator right? Can you wiire it to the house?

Yeah, definitely getting a throw out switch on the new house and wired for a genny plug in when we build, just enough to power the fridges, water pump/heater/geo thermal or whatever, and a few lights. Hopefully add a whole house genny a few years after building and have it wired for everything.

Well...I awoke last night to the sound of the furnace coming to life around 12:30am. Winds have died down a lot so I hope things are about over.

Thanks, Steve and Jeff for the offers. I wen't over to a coworkers yesterday to work and probably would have just done the same today.

Aaron, no I don't have one...yet. If I had that sucker would have been fired up for sure.

I'm def. going to have do some homework to find something that can power just what's essential and wired into the house if need be.

for those considering generators, if you want a dedicated one for your house get one that runs on natural gas. After convincing my parents to put one in their house, they couldn't be happier I talked them into it

Little outages like 70 houses in a neighborhood are put on lower priority than big outages. Thats why it takes so long for a simple job. Its because they dont have a crew available to do that little job.

I have noticed in recent years power, phone and cable companies either dont give estimates or give very conservative estimates.

Glad to see you got power back earlier than expected.

Craig

Yeah, definitely getting a throw out switch on the new house and wired for a genny plug in when we build, just enough to power the fridges, water pump/heater/geo thermal or whatever, and a few lights. Hopefully add a whole house genny a few years after building and have it wired for everything.

It's probably most economical to have a 2nd breaker box wired in with your throw out switch. The secondary breaker (off th power grid) only needs to be wired to certain outlets and essential appliances.

I need a furnace and fridge, but I can go a week or two without a toaster or a dryer... A generator large enough to really power a WHOLE house is just overkill IMHO.

A lot depends on if you have gas or electric appliances too though. I have gas appliances, so all my generator really has to power is the electric spark to start it, the fans, and the thermostats... That's for oven and furnace. Can't be more than a few hundred watts.

Well...I awoke last night to the sound of the furnace coming to life around 12:30am. Winds have died down a lot so I hope things are about over.

Thanks, Steve and Jeff for the offers. I went over to a coworkers yesterday to work and probably would have just done the same today.

NP Kevin,your always welcome !

i'm gonna finally plunk down for a decent sized inverter genny i think (after the craze and they are over stocked, i mean). how much power do you suppose is good for keeping heater, fridge, tv, and a couple lights on?

Assuming your house has a fairly large blower on the furnace. At least 5000W if you want to power all that.

I'm still without power since Monday evening. Surprised they haven't came to fix it since the line that is down is also blocking the road, and the road is closed. I'm using Craigs generator that is 3500W running/4000 peak and it is barely enough to run the fridge, furnace, and sump pump. It struggles a bit when the furnace blower first kicks on.

Special thanks to Blue03636 for leaving his generator in my trailer for us to use at the track. It's currently keeping my food cold and my house warm! I'll make sure I do an oil change on it after running it for a few days plus track time. Hoping you have power and aren't needing it right now.

Ya I have a fireplace but no insert. I just turned the furnace on for a couple hours before we went to bed and set it at 75 so it only kicked on once. Then I turned the generator off for the night and it was still 67 when I woke up.

Jinu, if the power is still off tonight after work I might take you up on that. It's not that bad though, still have heat, hot water, and plenty of candles for light. It's kind of nice with no phone/wifi Sam is forced to talk to me instead of watching youtube videos.