iPad mini vs iPad 4: Which one would you pick?

APCh8r

Alright so I am looking at getting a tablet over the holidays and have been looking at the iPad's. We all know the iPad mini and iPad 4 have both been released recently and hit stores last week. The reason for this threads is to get people's opinions because I could go either way on this decision. I am looking for pro's/cons, suggestions, etc.

I went and looked at them both in the store the other day and was astonished by the weight difference by the two. Also i tested some of the for game and web loading speeds and didn't know much of a difference. I also compared photos and videos on both and yes there is a noticeable difference but it is not earth shattering.

For those of you that don't know I am a physical therapist for University of Cincinnati athletics, so I am looking to use the tablet for both work and travel when we are on the road for events. Looking to use it to shoot video, edit video, listen to music, watch tv and movies, and be able to read literature and magazines, and browse the internet. I will play games time to time but that will not be my main purpose.

So I am looking for help in this decision process.:D

The mini is more suited for reading. Its much easier to hold 1 handed than the full size. Its getting great reviews for its size. Dont let the retina screen lead your decision because you wont even notice the difference if you arent comparing them side by side.

I wish people would make up their minds what they want in tech already!

First their were pc's...

- then people wanted smaller... laptops

- then people wanted even smaller... netbooks

- again, even smaller... smartphones

- oh wait, maybe bigger is better... ipad/tablets

- or maybe smaller... mini ipad

For the love of god pick a damn size already! :nono:

Oh and and what about headphones??

- big

- then small

- then buds

- now back to big again

WTF man :o

I just bought a 32GB iPad Mini in black and I love it. I came from an original iPad 1 and the speed difference is very noticeable. I was trying to decide between a refurbished iPad 3 or the Mini (since they are priced similar) and the Mini won out due to the form factor. I find the smaller tablet size is just about perfect, not quite as cramped as a traditional 7 inch tablet and not as bulky as a full size tablet. The fact that the iPad experience is the same and not scaled back was a big selling point for me as well. The lack of retina display was not a deal breaker for me since even though the mini has the same screen resolution as an iPad 2, the condensed size makes the images much sharper. I would recommend the iPad mini whole heartedly, unless you are after pure processing power then go for the iPad 4.

Edited by drew95gt

i dunno if they're still being sold, but refurb ipad 3's were going for like 375 on apple's site.

ipad mini is essentially a smaller ipad 2. which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

that said, ipad mini will almost certainly be replaced by ipad mini with retina display and whatever other crap in like 6 months, so i would keep that in mind.

if it were me, i'd pick up an refurb ipad 3.

Psssst..... Lots of companies make tablets.....and they have a bunch more features and cost like half of what iPads run.

And then you're not supporting crapple, which is the really important part.

Yes the other tablets are considerably less for the same or better functionality.

However it may be that the OP requires an iPad. I know the apps my wife uses for speech therapy are iPad only and they use iPads at her school.

My opinion is it depends on your need. If this is a laptop replacement use then screen realestate is a preimum and the larger form factor will work better. If portability is priority then the Mini works better. Basically same screen resolution as Ipad 2 with the other hardware from Ipad 3.

Craig

I have the original Ipad and I barely use it. except maybe to watch netflix at work or something. But outside of that. It just sits in my apartment. I've considered getting something from a different company because I have a feeling I would like it more and probably use it more.

My wife has one of the Gen 3 iPad's and it's very nice (especially the screen res.), although a little too large for my tastes. I had considered an iPad mini, but wound up picking up a Nexus 7 16GB when the price dropped to $199 last week and have been really pleased so far.

I like the slightly smaller form factor, and the Android OS is very nice. I recommend checking it out as a possible alternative based purely on the cost savings, but if you prefer the Apple, I think the Mini would get my vote.

If you want a mini tablet then the Kindle Fire HD or the Nexus 7 are better choices and less espensive.

If you want a full sized tablet then the Samsung Note 10.1 or the Newer Ipad would be my choices.

I wouldn't even consider the IPad Mini as you can get much more from another company for less money.

From what I've read the Ipad Mini, although lacking in value, hardware bullet point per hardware bullet point is still a much nicer device than the droid tablets. Having said that, I have an iPad 3 with the retina display and it's an amazing tablet. The display alone is worth it. I guess what I'm saying here is, droid tablets are cheap apple knock offs. ;)

My 2 cents, if you don't mind the added cost of the bigger iPad, the retina display alone makes it worth the extra cost, as it's great for photos but also makes text look amazing. if you want to save a few bucks or require a smaller tablet, than the mini looks to be a great device. My only thought on the mini is I bet their will be a retina or at least HD version next year.

Or you could get a Nexus 7 with better specs for $80-$130 less that'll do the same things better.

But working for Best Buy (I actually know my stuff unlike most of the associates), I would definitely say the 7" (more like 8" for iPad Mini) would be better for your uses. iPads are too bulky for constant carrying and using at the same time in my opinion.

Here's some reading on the subject.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/ipad-mini-display-judged-very-capable-but-falls-short-of-ipad-and-android-competitors/

Personally, I would go with the iPad 3 and save some $$ (even better, get a refurb unit though Apple). Doesn't sound like you have a need for the extra horsepower on the 4.

On an unrelated note, your daily commute from Mason to UC must suck :(

Here's some reading on the subject.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/05/ipad-mini-display-judged-very-capable-but-falls-short-of-ipad-and-android-competitors/

Personally, I would go with the iPad 3 and save some $$ (even better, get a refurb unit though Apple). Doesn't sound like you have a need for the extra horsepower on the 4.

On an unrelated note, your daily commute from Mason to UC must suck :(

If you have other iOS hardware the iPad 3 uses the legacy connector also, so no need for a converter.

Sounds like youll want the larger ipad 4 with the A6 processor. The mini is great for portability, but sounds like you could use the extra horsepower if you plan on doing some light media editing. The mini will probably be a christmas present for the wife since the smaller form factor is perfect for her small hands and portability in her purse.

Problem with the other tablets is nobody has really perfected the GUI quite like Apple. Apple may be more expensive and not have faster/lighter/cheaper attributes, but theyre overall package from the use of the laptop to itunes and App store blow Android out of the water.

Sounds like youll want the larger ipad 4 with the A6 processor. The mini is great for portability, but sounds like you could use the extra horsepower if you plan on doing some light media editing. The mini will probably be a christmas present for the wife since the smaller form factor is perfect for her small hands and portability in her purse.

Problem with the other tablets is nobody has really perfected the GUI quite like Apple. Apple may be more expensive and not have faster/lighter/cheaper attributes, but theyre overall package from the use of the laptop to itunes and App store blow Android out of the water.

There really is no comparison. The only people you'll hear countering this opinion are people that bought droid hardware and are trying to justify their cheaper purchase to themselves. I know a fair number of people that have owned both droid based and iOS based products and every single one of them prefers apple after owning both.

There really is no comparison. The only people you'll hear countering this opinion are people that bought droid hardware and are trying to justify their cheaper purchase to themselves. I know a fair number of people that have owned both droid based and iOS based products and every single one of them prefers apple after owning both.

I owned my iPhone 4 for a year and Droid for 4 years. I hated my iPhone, love my droids.