The best advice

motociclista

When discussing story ideas with the editor of Accelerate recently, we decided to do an article about the best motorcycling advice. I put some thought into it and came up with a list of my top five, but I'm sure other experienced riders have other opinions. And some new riders may be even more in tune with what advice really helped them the most.

So here's my take. In the interests of constant improvement, I'd like to hear other opinions, whether you think my choices are good or lousy. What's the best motorcycling advice you've ever gotten (or given)?

The normal one I tell everyone.

All the gear, all the time. I have been down and my gear saved me from getting any uglier than I already was.

The one my dad told me when I started riding;

Use your brain, not your feet. Always check how much gas you have before you drive off.:rolleyes: A 500lb bike triples in weight when your pushing it to a gas station.:p

From my Mom;

Ride safe and don't act like an idiot. If I have to pick you up from the hospital, I will beat you so hard you will need to go back. :D

your #1 is what i was going to say, one of the things i actually retained from an MSF course years ago: "You have two sets of handlebars, the ones on your bike and the eyes in your head."

Told to me by a mid-50's female instructor who could whip her Electra Glide around like those Japanese gymkhana cops you see on the You-Tubes...

Edited by jblosser
'by', not 'be'

From Dad:

Pretend you are invisible, car drivers are looking for other cars and will see right through you.

You go where you are looking, as in, you see a pothole or something in the road, you say to yourself, "don't hit that pothole, don't hit that pothole" and next thing you know, you drove right into that pothole.

The best advice: take advice with a grain of salt

Overheard the typical Harley guy giving advice to some newbs last week, describing tight pack riding as the ultimate goal of riding. He justified it withe amount of trust you have to have in the other riders.

In a perfect world I may agree that tight riding takes skill and trust, but all it takes it a little turtle to turn a tight pack into a pile of scrap.

Defensive Riding:

#1) Ride like you are invisible

#2) Always have an out

#3) you go where you look

#4) slow in, fast out

#5) Old and Bold riders, no old bold riders

#6) ride where they ain't (less traffic roads)

#7) buy a damn patch kit, keep it on the bike

#8) gear is cheaper than grafts

#9) go as fast as you can stop

#10) your only as good as your next ride (ride to ride again).

The best advice: take advice with a grain of salt

Overheard the typical Harley guy giving advice to some newbs last week, describing tight pack riding as the ultimate goal of riding. He justified it withe amount of trust you have to have in the other riders.

In a perfect world I may agree that tight riding takes skill and trust, but all it takes it a little turtle to turn a tight pack into a pile of scrap.

Well stated.