Bike- wrenching/maintenance/miss being at the track- fest - NEoh edition

jbot

i'm just going to mount my paintball tank to the shock. i'll get it to work somehow.

Get the tank filled with nitrogen, put on a reg, attach an air chuck via whip, set the pressure behind the chuck and fill up the shock.

I have a little 22ci tank that will work perfect to dedicate for this.

I wouldn't do it myself, my ass is worth more than the $150 is costs to do it.

$150? For just oil and nitrogen? I need to start doing shocks...

edit: I see 35 Motorsports only charges $100 for that.

Edited by brn6604
Looked up "pro" pricing

I wouldn't do it myself, my ass is worth more than the $150 is costs to do it.

I'm not seeing how it would be any more risk than having someone else fill it???

I'll verify the pressure after filling as well, so the risk of on-the-bike failure shouldn't weigh in.

If you mean risk while filling by having something go boom; I haven't looked into the pressure raitnigs on standard air chucks, but I planned on putting a burst disc inline. Can't remember the fill pressure for the shock, but I'm pretty sure it was under 200psi.

$150? For just oil and nitrogen? I need to start doing shocks...

edit: I see 35 Motorsports only charges $100 for that.

Sorry, $100-125 but that is to take it apart and clean everything, and put it back together how it should go. Filling it would be easy, getting everything where it should go and knowing it works is a different story.

I'm not seeing how it would be any more risk than having someone else fill it???

I'll verify the pressure after filling as well, so the risk of on-the-bike failure shouldn't weigh in.

If you mean risk while filling by having something go boom; I haven't looked into the pressure raitnigs on standard air chucks, but I planned on putting a burst disc inline. Can't remember the fill pressure for the shock, but I'm pretty sure it was under 200psi.

I believe it's 175 lbs. on a Penske.

Remember guys, suspension is probably the 1 thing that you dont want to jack up. In the end it is one of the most important components on the whole bike, besides maybe the engine :)

I am still planning to take my stuff to Pegrams this spring when Craigypoo helps me and have them at least do the rear spring for me. I have charged, plenty of late model shocks, but when there are 5 of them, and they are only like 21 inches long, it's a lot different than 1 main shock right under you butt. Not to mention going 100+mph every lap a few times in a leather suit vs. a full cage is a lot different.

It is not like I'm talking about using a bicycle pump to fill the shock, I only use that to seat beads on my tires.....once.

But is all seriousness, all I'm going to do is put in fresh fluid and repressurize the shock so I know the starting point and can make adjustments in the future.

Ohhhh, not planning to go in that deep. Actually might not even pull the body apart if the oil can be cycled out while it is together. It would be nice to give the internals a once over while it is depressurized, but I wouldn't consider breaking the stacks apart at this point.

just as an update, i sent facebook invites to those of you who said you were coming assuming you're on my facebooks. not that you HAVE to be on my facebook to show up, but just wanted you to know.

also, brandon and i were talking, and since there will be a shortage of front pin stands, we're gonna try to take his and my forks off before people get here so we can be more efficient about this. i think that's the only way we'll have time to go to the bike show without being hurried.

i think by this time next year, i might have purchased a sizable plot of land nearby so we can do a shooting excursion too. mwaahahahahahahahahaaaaa

just as an update, i sent facebook invites to those of you who said you were coming assuming you're on my facebooks. not that you HAVE to be on my facebook to show up, but just wanted you to know.

also, brandon and i were talking, and since there will be a shortage of front pin stands, we're gonna try to take his and my forks off before people get here so we can be more efficient about this. i think that's the only way we'll have time to go to the bike show without being hurried.

i think by this time next year, i might have purchased a sizable plot of land nearby so we can do a shooting excursion too. mwaahahahahahahahahaaaaa

Wow no FB invite here? I see how it is.