And so it begins....

RHill

Just watch out for the closeouts, they may already be past the 5 year mark.

I was concerned about the mfg date and figured I'd lose out on a little life with the closeout. I think the date on mine was late 2011. If it was earlier I would have requested credit toward a different helmet.

I don't really understand the 5yr limit. I've read that mfgrs claim sweat and use can degrade adhesives, but they still warranty for 5 yrs from purchase date(assumed first day of use). If the helmet is sitting in a box, why does it have a limited shelf life?

I was concerned about the mfg date and figured I'd lose out on a little life with the closeout. I think the date on mine was late 2011. If it was earlier I would have requested credit toward a different helmet.

I don't really understand the 5yr limit. I've read that mfgrs claim sweat and use can degrade adhesives, but they still warranty for 5 yrs from purchase date(assumed first day of use). If the helmet is sitting in a box, why does it have a limited shelf life?

What was once explained to me that made a little bit of sense was the shelf life of the EPS inner shell. Think of a styrofoam cooler. How over time, even without use, the pellets become disconnected. That loss of structural integrity over time is the reasoning behind that. Most helmet manufacturers won't warranty a lid beyond that timeframe due to that. So to cover their own asses, a sanctioning body won't allow you to ride at their event with a lid the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind. I am sure it's the result of some lost litigation sometime.

What was once explained to me that made a little bit of sense was the shelf life of the EPS inner shell. Think of a styrofoam cooler. How over time, even without use, the pellets become disconnected. That loss of structural integrity over time is the reasoning behind that. Most helmet manufacturers won't warranty a lid beyond that timeframe due to that. So to cover their own asses, a sanctioning body won't allow you to ride at their event with a lid the manufacturer wouldn't stand behind. I am sure it's the result of some lost litigation sometime.

Foam is a lot more robust than what we give it credit for. They use EPS "geofoam" for building support beds for roadways. The problem is containimates, like gas for a roadway, that the foam could possibly be exposed to. In a box, inside a store, the helmet shouldn't really be exposed to anything that would degrade the foam.

I guess it doesn't really matter, just find it contradictive the warranty is based off sale date and use for racing is based off mfg date.

Foam is a lot more robust than what we give it credit for. They use EPS "geofoam" for building support beds for roadways. The problem is containimates, like gas for a roadway, that the foam could possibly be exposed to. In a box, inside a store, the helmet shouldn't really be exposed to anything that would degrade the foam.

I guess it doesn't really matter, just find it contradictive the warranty is based off sale date and use for racing is based off mfg date.

Agreed. Like I said it makes a little sense, but I know I have a 5+ yr old lid that I would completely trust saving my head. I guess as a sanctioning org you have to have some form of limits on safety gear, especially for racers.

Again, it's because the org doesn't know when you purchased it. To make it easy on them and probably to help with insurance they cut it at 5 from the sticker.

It is probably better having a concrete rule than having people coming up and saying they lost their receipt, but the helmet is only 2 yrs old, but was mfgd in 2005.

The date is only for racers.

Wrong. It apparently applies to everyone. I was told to replace my old Arai or run the risk of not being able to do future track days with MS.

I'll even give you three guesses who it was that ratted me out to Todd and the first two don't count (no it wasn't our new skinny friend, Marty).

No shit? Cuz I asked last year and they said I could ride with it but not race, BUT I don't disagree with that, becasue if you tech Fri/Sat you really dont "have" to Sunday, although, maybe that should change... ?? And just make everyone retech Sunday AM? Recruit some of us non MS guys to help with it.

Wrong. It apparently applies to everyone. I was told to replace my old Arai or run the risk of not being able to do future track days with MS.

I'll even give you three guesses who it was that ratted me out to Todd and the first two don't count (no it wasn't our new skinny friend, Marty).

Wrong, the 5 years is only for race. The snell date is for everyone.

Wrong, the 5 years is only for race. The snell date is for everyone.

Wait....what? You're saying that the mfg. date is used for racers only and the snell date is used for everyone else?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But you could still get that rouge "MS representative" that will tell you to pack up your shit and go home.

Wait....what? You're saying that the mfg. date is used for racers only and the snell date is used for everyone else?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But you could still get that rouge "MS representative" that will tell you to pack up your shit and go home.

For trackdays they require snell (or equivalent) 2005 (this may have changed) or newer. To race the helmet can't be more than 5 years old from the date it was manufactured. Next time tell Nick to stuff it. :D