Lane splitting: Not addressed in codes or statutes?

Mc_spirited

• 3 years later...

Last I heard in Ohio you may not have two vehicles side by side sharing the same lane at any point. Or you may not occupy two lanes or something of the sort. There isn't a law per say directly directed towards lane splitting but there are some out there that you could easily be cited for if doing it.

If I was in stopped traffic or slow traffic I would make my way to the front. It kept my conscious clear of someone rear ending me.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Also... catch-all laws exist to provide officers with the ability to ticket for dangerous actions that are not specifically outlawed. An officer friend of mine will ticket people for drinking soda while driving IF they do it dangerously (eyes off the roads for several seconds or weaving while drinking). There is no law against drinking soda while driving so instead they get a ticket for "driving without due care and attention".

I don't split lanes. I *would* if the circumstances required it, but only in a situation where I don't care about the ticket. (Get away from imminent accident etc).

Jesus I just read this whole thread. It sucks that people can't just get along. I've had good and bad experiences with the po po. Recently got let off in Delaware on old 315 doing 70 in a 45 and he had been following me with his lights and sirens on for 3 miles(he claims, I have no reason to believ anything else bc I didn't see/hear him). Cop asked me why I didn't stop I explained I didn't see or hear him with my mirrors not being adjusted properly and my headphones in. He asked me to put my headphones in my bag(I did), watch my mirrors, and slow down. Probably one of the nicest most relaxed guys Ive met.

Jesus I just read this whole thread. It sucks that people can't just get along. I've had good and bad experiences with the po po. Recently got let off in Delaware on old 315 doing 70 in a 45 and he had been following me with his lights and sirens on for 3 miles(he claims, I have no reason to believ anything else bc I didn't see/hear him). Cop asked me why I didn't stop I explained I didn't see or hear him with my mirrors not being adjusted properly and my headphones in. He asked me to put my headphones in my bag(I did), watch my mirrors, and slow down. Probably one of the nicest most relaxed guys Ive met.

ive had good and bad....one cop busted me for speeding up to change lanes to hit an exit ramp, then immediately slowing back down...81 in a 65...said he only gave me a ticket because a kid my age (17 at the time) shouldnt have a nice car (i was driving my mustang)...what a prick, sure i guess i deserved the ticket since i was speeding (for all of 5 seconds), but his attitude is what irritated me...he got pissed when he asked who paid for my car and i told him i did

then had a cop let me off on the bike after running a red light (accidental noob mistake on my part), lane splitting to the front of a couple stop lights because i was in a hurry, and doing 85 on the freeway...after all that, he got me about 5 miles from the inital red light i ran - i had no mirros on the bike so i never saw him, and he actually pulled up next to me on the freeway and pointed for me to pull over.......it was a paddywagon too lol...the guy was cool, told me to be more careful (talking about the red light) and told me to ride safe and have a nice day

so it really does go either way, i dont judge all cops by the actions of a few...ive ran into more good ones than i have bad ones

It's amazing to see how many people judge an officer by how much laws they can break without having enforcement action taken against them.

Hope that wasn't directed at me, people who do what youo just stated don't even need to be breathing the same air as people that respect our LEO's

yea, because its so much more dangerous than sitting still in traffic and letting someone run you over because they arent paying attention :rolleyes:

Yes, it absolutely is more dangerous than sitting in traffic. I dont know if this was sarcasm and i just didnt pick up on it but if it is not sarcasm i would love to hear your argument that lane splitting is safer than sitting in traffic.

Yes, it absolutely is more dangerous than sitting in traffic. I dont know if this was sarcasm and i just didnt pick up on it but if it is not sarcasm i would love to hear your argument that lane splitting is safer than sitting in traffic.

I think he's hinting at getting ran over by someone sippin on a latte

my argument is common sense.

lets say you pull up to a stop light and theres 5 cars in front of you in each lane waiting at the red light.

a. you pull up to the front between both lanes, and when the light turns you go on your way, picking a lane, and thats the end of it

b. you sit in the back with your single tail light and run the risk of the person behind you not paying attention and only seeing the tail lights of the car in front of you.

the chances of being rear ended and sandwiches between two cars is greatly reduced by lane splitting to the front as opposed to sitting in traffic and relying on other people to pay attention to you.

what ever happened to the saying, "ride like you're invisible"...if im invisible, i surely dont want to rely on someone else seeing me.

A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-nht-212-motorcycle/motorcycle51.html

Edited by Steve Butters

It's amazing to see how many people judge an officer by how much laws they can break without having enforcement action taken against them.

if thats all you got from my post then your reading comprehension sucks.

if the first cop would have treated me like a person and not some punk kid who had a nicer car than he had, then i wouldnt have had a problem with him. ive gotten more tickets than i can count, and i only listed that one officer that i had an issue with. the other comment was posted to show that some officers can recognize a mistake that was made and gave me a break about it. the officer who wrote me up for 71 in a 45 was cool as hell and just doing his job - didnt see me mention anything negative about him, even though he gave me a ticket. i realize the concept of "if you break the law, you deserve the ticket" and i have no issue with that, its their attitude during the stop that makes all the difference in my mind

I think he's hinting at getting ran over by someone sippin on a latte

So that means you have to worry about that 1 car behind you instead of splitting lanes and having to worry about every car you come up on switching lanes in front of you while sipping a latte numbers dont lie

numbers dont lie

show me the numbers youre talking about?

i showed results from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's .gov website.

wheres your results that say its more dangerous?

Nobody is talking about splitting lanes at freeway speed. We're talking about filtering stopped traffic.

my argument is common sense.

lets say you pull up to a stop light and theres 5 cars in front of you in each lane waiting at the red light.

a. you pull up to the front between both lanes, and when the turns you go on your way, picking a lane, and thats the end of it

b. you sit in the back with your single tail light and run the risk of the person behind you not paying attention and only seeing the tail lights of the car in front of you.

the chances of being rear ended and sandwiches between two cars is greatly reduced by lane splitting to the front as opposed to sitting in traffic and relying on other people to pay attention to you.

what ever happened to the say, "ride like you're invisible"...if im invisible, i surely dont want to rely on someone else seeing me.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-nht-212-motorcycle/motorcycle51.html

Let me lead with this disclaimer: I do believe that lane splitting should be legal.

However while it is not legal I believe in certain situations it is way more dangerous than waiting especially on the highway. In both situations you gave i can see how that would be safer, I was thinking more of a highway back up situation.

Hope that wasn't directed at me, people who do what youo just stated don't even need to be breathing the same air as people that respect our LEO's

What do you mean by "people who do what you do"? What did I do?

It was not directed at any one person. That's why I said "So many people."

My observation is that when people talk about "good" cops their example is of an event where they were cauight breaking the law and did not get a ticket. And their example of a bad cop is an event where they DID get a ticket for breaking a law in a way that they didn't think deserved enforcement.

if thats all you got from my post then your reading comprehension sucks.

It was not directed at any one person. That's why I said "So many people."

My observation is that when people talk about "good" cops their example is of an event where they were cauight breaking the law and did not get a ticket. And their example of a bad cop is an event where they DID get a ticket for breaking a law in a way that they didn't think deserved enforcement.