Here We Go Again, Florida Man Shoots and Kills Young Man Over Loud Music

magley64

Then He Claims the Teen Brandished a Shotgun :nono:

Invokes "SYG" law

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-death-black-teen-puts-florida-law-back-004720741.html

Shooting death of black teen puts Florida law back under spotlight

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida man appeared in court on Wednesday to face charges in the shooting death of an apparently unarmed black teenager in a case putting Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law back under the U.S. media spotlight less than a year after the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Michael Dunn, 45, is being held without bail on charges of second-degree murder for the Friday night shooting of Jordan Davis, who was also 17.

According to authorities, Dunn pulled into the parking lot of a Jacksonville, Florida, gas station alongside the SUV where Davis and three friends, all of them young African Americans, were listening to music.

Dunn asked them to turn their music down and, after an apparent exchange of words with Davis, he produced a gun and fired eight or nine shots at the SUV. At least two of the bullets hit Davis, causing his death.

Dunn, who was in Jacksonville for his son's wedding, sped off after the shooting but he was arrested on Saturday in Brevard County, Florida, police said.

Dunn's lawyer, Robin Lemonidis, told reporters that someone in the SUV brandished a shotgun and Dunn opened fire on the vehicle in self-defense.

"It will be very clear that Mr. Dunn acted responsibly, and as any responsible firearms owner would have acted, under these same circumstances," Lemonidis said.

She could not be reached for further comment on Wednesday but appeared to indicate that Dunn will invoke Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law in his defense.

The law gives legal protection to anyone, anywhere, to use deadly force in a case where a person is attacked and believes his life or safety is in danger.

Critics say the law, adopted under former Florida Governor Jeb Bush after a big push by pro-gun advocates, has been used to allow some Floridians to shoot and kill with impunity while also encouraging vigilante justice.

The law fell under a firestorm of criticism earlier this year when police in Sanford, Florida, cited it for their initial refusal to arrest George Zimmerman to face murder charges in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

Police say no shotgun or other weapon was found in the SUV where Davis, a high school student, was shot and killed.

Formal charges against Dunn will be filed at a court appearance set for December 19, said Jackie Barnard, a spokeswoman for the State Attorney's office for the Fourth Judicial District of Florida.

"The investigation is ongoing and we're waiting for the sheriff's office to finish their investigation," she said. "We'll review the evidence and the State Attorney's office will make the appropriate charging decision."

Then He Claims the Teen Brandished a Shotgun :nono:

Invokes "SYG" law

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-death-black-teen-puts-florida-law-back-004720741.html

so you don't know anything, haven't read the official report (since it's not out yet) but you know what happened. do i have that right?

• Upvote 1

so you don't know anything, haven't read the official report (since it's not out yet) but you know what happened. do i have that right?

I have my ideas/thoughts about what happened... But I don't "know"...

I just loved the debates surrounding the M Vs. Z case so much...

Bet your dick tingled when you saw this story Mags. Probably trembling in excitement cutting and pasting it.

If the guy is guilty of murder, good, he'll fry when the facts come out.

If he's not guilty, good, he'll walk when the facts come out.

SYG is still good legislation that has kept many people who rightly defended themselves from undue prosecution and legal burdens. And when someone doesn't legitimately defend themselves, the facts come out and they get prosecuted.

• Upvote 2

Bet your dick tingled when you saw this story Mags. Probably trembling in excitement cutting and pasting it.

SYG is still good legislation that has kept many people who rightly defended themselves from undue prosecution and legal burdens. And when someone doesn't legitimately defend themselves, the facts come out and they get prosecuted.

QFT +rep

Didn't you know that's the Libertarian way? Immediately make a judgement based on presumptions and zero facts. All firearms are evil, and thus anyone who uses one for any reason is guilty of something. Self defense? You could've talked your way out of it.

Oh wait....

Since when are you guys logical about this stuff?

what happened to blindly believing the shooter's story? Most of you did last time...

Innocent until proven guilty.

The media circus is a joke. Unfortunately it fuels hatred, bigotry, and condemnation.

Dunn pulled into the parking lot of a Jacksonville, Florida, gas station alongside the SUV where Davis and three friends, all of them young African Americans, were listening to music.

Not saying the shooter was right or wrong, but is a gas station the place you should be sitting listening to music in your SUV? Seems a little odd.

Dunn pulled into the parking lot of a Jacksonville, Florida, gas station alongside the SUV where Davis and three friends, all of them young African Americans, were listening to music.

Not saying the shooter was right or wrong, but is a gas station the place you should be sitting listening to music in your SUV? Seems a little odd.

I listen to music while filling up, especially if I have friends in the car...

I will wait until the facts come out.

I don't think it went down this:

Loud music playing

Shooter guy " hey turn down the music"

SUV guys " No"

Shooter guy "bang"

Even if words were exchanged, did anyone in the SUV exit the vehicle and approach shooter guy? Disparity of force? I'll wait till the facts come out.

Possible video from the gas station?

Not related, but didn't another forum member has an incident at a Jacksonville gas station?

Maybe the music was than just loud, maybe the lyrics were rude, mean, nasty, and maybe there were kids or grandkids present. I know people are upset to hear about our second amendment rights or our faith, they say keep our faith to ourselves. Each one of us has to admit we are forced to hear music and lyrics we would not listen to and absolutely don't want our kids to here.

He is innocent until he's proven guilty by a jury of his peers.

Another opinion....

Agree with these statements.

At first glance, with no weapon being found in the car and the shooter fleeing the scene he appears guilty, if the story is indeed accurate. Did the kids in the SUV stay at the gas station until police arrived? Did one of them run and ditch the alleged shotgun? Were the three preparing to jump him? I want facts and surveillance video footage before we condemn this guy.

The evil place I speak of is anytown USA. If it is warm enough for the windows to be open the lyrics can be heard very well.

People can listen to whatever they want and it is none of my business however, I will protect my kids from lyrics that you could label "R" rated. Again just suggesting if you see. An old man that acts crazy, ask yourself, is it worth it?

Just kidding. I think this is a possible side of the sereno.

Really, playing the "blame the victim" card already, eh? You're inferring that people don't normally listen to music at a gas station, and that's unusual behavior? Just because you sit in silence, doesn't mean the rest of the population does.

People can listen to whatever they want and it is none of my business however, I will protect my kids from lyrics that you could label "R" rated. Again just suggesting if you see. An old man that acts crazy, ask yourself, is it worth it?

Just kidding. I think this is a possible side of the sereno.

So does "protecting your kids" entail opening fire on me just because I gave you some sass when you asked me to turn my stuff down? No one is forcing you to be there, and if my actions or my music, dickheaded as they may be, are offending you in a personal and legal matter then I suggest you protect your kids by removing them from the situation instead of escalating it further. And what does that mean, "An old man that acts crazy, ask yourself, is it worth it?" Just because your making a scene automatically means I have to bend to your will? Not everyone is as scared of the rappity-rap as you, Grandpa. I'll grant you that the kids that were bumpin' this were probably doing so at retarded levels totally oblivious to everyone around them. But for a 5 minute fill-up until you remove yourself from the situation anyway, ask yourself, is it worth it?