I was saved by "a" Iron Pony

jdonn

So, since it was such a nice day today, I decided to ride to work. My kids are with my parents up in Toledo and after work, I was going to go for a nice long ride (since my wife would be at work as well). Well, while on 270 N, I must have hit a nail or something cause... While going ~70ish, my bike started acting... funny. I tried to change a lane and there was a swaying feeling. So, I pulled over to the side of the road, turned on the hazards, and pushed against the rear tire. Well, to my amazement, I was able to press the tire to the rim. Luckily, the guy that drives the trailer was still at Iron Pony cause, they came and picked me and the bike up then took us to the shop!

Now, I am sooo appreciative of them providing that type of service... they saved my ass HARD! When I was at the shop, they priced a new Michelin Pilot Road 3 installed for 309.00! Yeah, I had Hoblick change my tires a few months ago and put the original PR3's on for around 300 ... FOR BOTH TIRES! At motorcycle-superstore, they are only 176.00 bucks for the rear tire. So, if that is the case, and they cost ~ 180, you're tell me that service costs are 120.00?! CRAZY!

Well, whatever, what choice did I have... I really appreciate the pickup and amazing service but I will never buy tires from Iron Pony unless I ABSOLUTELY have to (as in this case lol).

Thank you IP, you saved my ass but... You definitely made me pay for it! ;)

Ah, well then crap. I take it back. They did charge you out the ass! :nono:

lol... But, I will say that having the ability to call them and the bike is taken to the shop is really good. They just need to be more reasonable with their pricing on things like installation. I mean, 79 bucks for "On bike tire change" is retarded. It took 35 min.

Guys - it's not just 35 minutes labor. Can you even imagine what their overhead is, to provide us with a facility like that? I can't EVEN IMAGINE what their rent & electric bill is for that building. Just speaking from the point of view of a person that's spent the last 30 years self employed, it's a lot tougher than you think to make a buck with the cost of overhead now-a-days.

Do you guys not have insurance plans that offer roadside assistance? It cost like $10/year to add roadside on to my policy.

Exactly, and trip interruption is another ten bucks and covers extra expenses like hotels or long distance towing. Got me back from Canada once. Covered a one way uhaul, hotel, gas and food.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I normally stay out of/dont post but I had to jump in as I use lots of tires since I am blessed (or cursed) to currently own 4 rides. Comparing the Pilot Road 3 120/70x17 & 180/55x17, IP instore price $346.98, Superstore mailorder (as of this morning) $320.98 so a whopping $26 (8%) diff on the pair, not sure what the definition of "way cheaper" is but what will Superstore do for you on the side of the road on Friday night & are they keeping 60+? local residents (fellow riders) working?

Also if this had turned out to be a warranty issue then what?

You might want to check your reciept on that $30 pick up fee as they (IP) normally delete it for close by local pickups in the winter months as long as the bill is paid promptly & is over $250 (my case anyway).

As to the comment above regarding overhead I manage maintainance on a similar building, & the electric alone is $15K-20K a month depending on season.

That brings me to another point, I only have Sundays off right now, so you can imagine my delight when I was able to get my tires installed recently on a perfect November Sunday morning @ 10am and spend my day riding.

I guess it is all relative but value comes in many different forms.

I normally stay out of/dont post but I had to jump in as I use lots of tires since I am blessed (or cursed) to currently own 4 rides. Comparing the Pilot Road 3 120/70x17 & 180/55x17, IP instore price $346.98, Superstore mailorder (as of this morning) $320.98 so a whopping $26 (8%) diff on the pair, not sure what the definition of "way cheaper" is but what will Superstore do for you on the side of the road on Friday night & are they keeping 60+? local residents (fellow riders) working?

You might want to check your reciept on that $30 pick up fee as they (IP) normally delete it for close by local pickups in the winter months as long as the bill is paid promptly & is over $250 (my case anyway).

As to the comment above regarding overhead I manage maintainance on a similar building, & the electric alone is $15K-20K a month depending on season.

That brings me to another point, I only have Sundays off right now, so you can imagine my delight when I was able to get my tires installed recently on a perfect November Sunday morning @ 10am and spend my day riding.

Pretty sure he only got the rear replaced.

I guess you didn't read my post... I paid 300 for two tires from shop dog cycle. At IP, I paid 300 for one tire. Now, convinance and availability is something to be appreciated... I purchased one tire.. Not two. Also, it should be noted that I was about 5 miles out. I am not trying to down play the fact that I was stranded on the side of 270 and they saved my ass. I was just saying that the price for one tire was high.

Edited by jdonn

Give us a breakdown of what you paid. Did you pay $300' date=' total.. or $300 for the tire/labor, only?

FTR, Yes, $300 is a bit too much to pay for a single tire install. Now, if you'll excuse me.. I am going to go adjust my labor prices to match the current market trend.[/quote']

I'll take a pic of the receipt and post it when I get home...

All I know is sometimes you have to pay a little more when you're stuck. The last time I called AAA for a bike tow from the side of the road, I only had to sit there for 2 and a half HOURS while they located a tow company that even knew how to strap a bike down. When they DID show up, Jethro and Clem weren't my first choice of who I wanted strapping my bike down to their flatbed, but again, when you're stuck, you're stuck. The fact that Pony was willing and able to come and get you, regardless of whether you were at the end of their driveway or 20 miles away is a blessing in itself. What time of day was this? Try calling the local American V twin dealer around town on a Friday night for an emergency pick up and tire change. All you'll get on the other end of the phone is crickets. I'd have happily paid for this "inconvenience" of needing a tire put on pronto. It's December, we're riding all day and night, I'd say it was worth it. I agree with the other poster too, who else this side of the Mississipi is going to have the tire you have in stock, ready to go? Juuuust sayin....