Two cargo containers turned into a cabin

Casper

The only thing I really like about the cargo container is that it eliminates the need to pour a foundation.

but you can accomplish almost the same thing by building a cabin on stilts... The lumber may cost a bit more, but you're not locked into the floor-plan restrictions of the cargo containers, which I think is a huge benefit.

And you could add a garage door, which I think would be nice.

I sketched out a 'cabin' design during class on a saturday a few months ago. Nothing elaborate. The thought was to really use it as a place to store toys, but with accommodations for sleeping and cooking if I wanted. No plumbing, but insulated.

Problem with a cabin is the lack of security when not there. And the cargo storage has a much stronger structural base to it then wood does.

Yeah, I guess I was looking at it from the perspective of it being easier to get lumber to remote locations than it is to have cargo containers delivered...

from a structural standpoint, I assume people will get in if they really want to. If you go without windows and install a heavy-duty door, you're probably a bit more secure than my glorified shed idea, but in a remote location, thieves have a lot of time to work without being observed.

underground-shipping-container.jpg

Before you dig a hole and hide one under the dirt, you might want to do a little research first.

"There are two primary reasons that containers are unsuitable for burying underground as any form of structure – The first is the issue of corrosion and the second is the problem of structural integrity and we are going to look at both of these issues in detail but before we do I wanted to briefly mention why I think this common misunderstanding..."

http://containerhome.info/underground-shipping-containers.html

Edited by JackFlash