Never fly with this guy

cmh_sprint

lol, nice landing. Looks ex-Navy.

So I'm guarding an Army C-130 we landed at Subic Bay. Pilot says "watch the end of the runway". We hear a howl, and a Navy F-4B Phantom pops over the top of the mountain and roars down the side of the mountain aimed at the runway, gear up. Screams down the runway to the mountain on the other side and pulls up into an inside loop. Rolls out and dives at the other end of the runway, pulls out, snaps gear down and lands. Pulls in beside us with a full load of Sidewinders. Show off.

Edited by ReconRat

lol, nice landing. Looks ex-Navy.

So I'm guarding an Army C-130 we landed at Subic Bay. Pilot says "watch the end of the runway". We hear a howl, and a Navy F-4B Phantom pops over the top of the mountain and roars down the side of the mountain aimed at the runway, gear up. Screams down the runway to the mountain on the other side and pulls up into an inside loop. Rolls out and dives at the other end of the runway, pulls out, snaps gear down and lands. Pulls in beside us with a full load of Sidewinders. Show off.

This would have given me a big chub. The F4 is and will always be at the top of my list.

Seems he had done that a time or 2. Pretty damn impressive to get the plane on the ground BEFORE the jumpers landed! Wondered what was going on after the jumpers leaped out and he stood the plane on its nose. Badass......I'd be his rio anytime :D

Seems he had done that a time or 2. Pretty damn impressive to get the plane on the ground BEFORE the jumpers landed! Wondered what was going on after the jumpers leaped out and he stood the plane on its nose. Badass......I'd be his rio anytime :D

landing before the jumpers was the best part of the video. i guess when you are taxi for a dozen jumps a day you get your reference points down and can push your landings. kind of like circling mid ohio a couple hundred times.

I think that's pretty typical. When I went skydiving the pilot would bring that thing down from 14k+ in a similarily impressive fashion and beat everybody to the ground. Some of the instructors would pull really low to get back just in time to catch the next lift.

Looks like a standard simulated emergency landing over a field. Cut the engines, get below maneuvering speed, bank it over to 70 degrees and hold it, line up for downwind -base- to final landing. That guy had probably done that a thousand times

Dont forget the emergency decent. As soon as he rolled it after the last jumper I knew exactly what he was doing. And as you can see doing a emergency decent can get a plan on the ground faster than freefall. I used to take me friends up and do them for them.

Pull power (and feather props in his case), push nose, roll into steep bank, and pull back on the yoke to spiral down at speed. Just dont overstress the plane and rip the wings off. :)

They are fun and a good way to teach people what a few G's feels like. That was a helluva turn/landing from base to final. Impressive!

The last time I did an emergency decent with friends, I actually lost the engine on the way down so it went from fun to O shit. I was just about to roll out of the e-decent and heard a loud pop and saw smoke. Rolled out quick turned toward the airport and started to climb, Gained about 2500 ft and Bang.. another pop and now the engine was running really rough and I couldnt hold altitude. Luckily was high enough that I could limp to the airport. Got it there and on the ground. Turns out they had just replaced 2 cylinders in the plane which were not in the maintenance logs when I checked it out. Needless to say, I never rented a plane from them again.

Edited by flounder