Lights for home defense

idodishez

Dads getting a gun for home defense. 1st time he will have owned a gun. It will be a .38 special revolver. Likely a Taurus. I was originally thinking of getting him a laser for it for Christmas. But have since thought a good tactical light might be smarter. Since its a revolver, I'm kind of limited on gun mounted lights from what I've found . S&W makes an adapter, but those revolvers prob arent on his list. He's 73 years old, and I'm just looking for what will benefit him and his wife the best.

Am I thinking right w a light over a laser? Am i right that a gun mounted option is clise to impossible? Any recommendations for a good light?

He's already taken the CCW course, though he has no intention on carrying for now.

Nobama 2012

i find your avatar offensive... that is all.

I find the upside down flag quite appropriate for our times. Here's a bit I copied from the web that reflects my feelings. I think we should all fly our flags upside down, at least until the White House is vacated by the current inhabitants.

The upside down U.S. flag is an official signal of distress. It is not meant to be, and is not officially recognized as any type of disrespect when so displayed for the right reasons. To the contrary, here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE FLAG CODE

Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10

As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress

Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a)
The flag should never be displayed with the union down,
except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Most individuals who have served in the military service of our nation will (or should) recognize this signal. As a result of the many traitors and enemies we as a free people have, both foreign and domestic, as a result of the many unconstitutional acts, legislation and atrocities passed and/or committed against US citizens and their life, liberty and property, and as a result of policies that have allowed (and continue to allow) enemies of this nation to enter in large numbers through a porous border policy, I believe the life, liberty and property of US Citizens are in dire danger and distress.

...that is all.

• Upvote 2

You took the bait. that's what the troll likes you to do. Now there will be four threads he has ruined in the firearms thread.

Back on topic I am also in the mind set of non mounted lights. I have a cheapo 100 lumen light thats has a strobe feature. There are a few revolvers that come with a rail on them but they are not cheap.

And like stated shotgun for home defense.

Amazon.com: new olight M21-X Warrior 600 Lumen tactical flashlight on sale, 3 brightness plus strobe: Everything Else

This is what I use. I prefer not to go mounted with a pistol.

You could look at the streamlight TLR series if you want it mounted. They also have laser/ light combos.

This or similar would be best imo. SureFire makes nice flashlights too.

Consider this, if a thief is armed and you have a light mounted to your weapon, its gives away your head/body's position. I know if I saw an intruder's flashlight pointed at my eyes, thats where my shots are going. If you have a seperate light source, you can hold out your flashlight to one side or the other and still blind the intruder without giving away your head/body's exact position, giving you a bit of an advantage.

^^ This. Buddy at work who have been in combat says you shoot for the muzzle flash or just below it in low light. Gun mounted light the same. I was told to hold it away from your body off to the side a bit.

Edit or get a shotgun and forget the light.

Edited by speedytriple

Leave the hall light on?

Never been a fan of weapon mounted lights in a home defense scenario. Better off putting a bright flash light on the dresser and waiting for the perp to enter the bedroom. He immediately tur.s his attention to the light on the dresser and you can be on the other side of the room drawing a bead on him. That was the suggestion from my ccw instructor.

If using the flag in a non-intended manner is your thing' date=' then more power to you. It's a distress signal... like, for real emergencies. It's not a political statement. It's more important than that.

For the OP... I'd say something that strobes would be fun. Not too sure about useful. I have a cool light that strobes for my gun. I mostly use it to blind my co-workers when they're being extra cunty.[/quote']

I guess the question of whether or not we ARE in a "real emergency" is up for debate. Me personally, there's no question.

NoBama 2012

I picked up a flashlight at a police auction. It's small and handheld but will reach the clouds and kill small mammals. When you narrow the beam all the way down the light is in the shape of a boxed silhouette. It says CREE on it. $15.

So it looks like the consensus is no gun mounted, and to go w a shotgun instead. I get the non rail/gun mount arguments. And I hadn't head those arguments before, so good info.

On the shotgun points. Im just not sure I can see him and his same aged wife using one. I admit I know nothing about them though. visiting grand kids are an issue. Can a shotgun be as easily utilized as a handgun from a locked safe status? Can they be as easily used in a close quarters, around corners, etc?

If he were to go w a shotgun, what would be a good choice for a first time owner? At his age? As a new gun owner years ago, I always heard a .38 spcl for a handgun. I heard the same when asking for him at his age. Is there a "go to" for a shotgun, similar to the .38?

NoBama 2012