FYI--Older Chinese SKS for sale (not mine)

Bubba

Just in case you AW guys are looking to add to your collection. I have no experience as to whether this is a good price or not. Just figgered I'd post it in case there was interest...

SKS w/synthetic stock currently

30 round clip

10 round clip

150 rounds of ammo

Has original stock with matching serial #'s

Has original bayonet

BSA 9 x 24 scope

Lowered to $400 this morning

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?22074-SKS-for-sale

Why not?

922r says it is illegal to assemble a semi-auto firearm from foreign parts that would have been illegal to import. SKS with detachable mag is illegal to import. There only way to to this legally is to assemble a rifle of US parts with no more that 10 foreign parts. There are 20 enumerated "parts" that fed law identifies, and 14 of them exist in the SKS. therefore 4 of those have to be replaced by marked US-made parts in order to make the rifle "us-made" and no longer covered by 922r. For the most part this makes the SKS no cheaper than an M&P 15 Sport once you have sourced enough US parts.

I'm not talking about the '94 awb.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=4&f=83&t=58374

Dear [sir]:

This refers to your letter to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), Firearms Technology Branch, dated September 24,2003, asking about the modification of an SKS rifle to permit acceptance of a detachable "duckbill-style" ammunition magazine.

Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 44, Section 922®, states, in part, that it shall be “unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under Section 925 (d) (3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes….”

Currently, SKS rifles capable of accepting a large capacity ammunition-feeding device are prohibited from importation. Therefore, modifying an SKS to accept a large capacity ammunition-feeding device would be a violation of 922 ®.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

Sterling Nixon

Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

If you can explain why an imported SKS with a detachable magazine is not a 922r violation, despite what the ATF said above, then I'm all ears because I'd also like to replace the wood stock with synthetic pistol grip style stock.

You are not assembling it. It was imported a complete legal rifle. Please let this nonsense stop.

The ATF said importing an SKS with the detachable mag is illegal?

I'm not trying to be obtuse - if it IS legal then great, for my own personal reasons.

The folding stock / pistol grip "evil features" thing is a '94 AWB concept so that's not a problem in and of itself. The problem is that the ATF considers replacing key parts on an imported rifle as "assembling an imported rifle" which is illegal IF the resulting rifle would have been illegal to import. If you use less than 10 key foreign parts then you're good under 922r.

Here's where I get my info from... If it's wrong then tell me.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#TEN_OR_LESS_DISCUSS+

Jesus dude! IT'S NOT ILLEGAL.

It was imported as a fixed mag sks.

Jesus nothing! :nono: It is BECAUSE it was imported with a fixed mag that installing a higher capacity mag is illegal.

If the ATF says it is illegal to put a high capacity mag on an SKS then upon what (other than skyfaries) do you base your asserting that the ATF are wrong?

Not angry at all, but I, as well as many others, do find your constant armchair lawyering to be extremely annoying.

Do you really think there would be so many aftermarket parts made for these if they were illegal?

I don't care if you find me annoying. I'm a little amused that it makes you so crazy.

How many car parts can you buy that are illegal to use? The difference is that blue led washer nozzles won't get you x years in federal prison.

The law is there for you to read. Interpret it as you wish. Say hi to Bubba for me.

I don't care if you find me annoying. I'm a little amused that it makes you so crazy.

How many car parts can you buy that are illegal to use? The difference is that blue led washer nozzles won't get you x years in federal prison.

The law is there for you to read. Interpret it as you wish. Say hi to Bubba for me.

Wut? :wtf:

We're not talking about cars here. If the gubment doesn't want you buying aftermarket SKS magazines, they won't be sold by retailers like Tapco.

Who is this Bubba you speak of?

Wut? :wtf:

We're not talking about cars here. If the gubment doesn't want you buying aftermarket SKS magazines, they won't be sold by retailers like Tapco.

Who is this Bubba you speak of?

I could explain it, or is my armchair lawyering annoying?

Scruit you are trying to say my SKS with 12 30 round mag is illegal. So be it oh no dragon off stock is to dam. and my scope crap need to get ready for the popo to come and get it. LOL

The video explains it all. Compliance is your business not mine, but I feel it's important that people understand where they stand legally.

I'm going to get the "US conversion" kit.