I got a new to me cage!

QuikAccord

I've always thought those Saabs looked mean. Nice car man. I think the chassis is actually from GM Europe - like their Opel/Peugeot division or something. In another life, these would have been tight competitors with the 3-series, but GM ran Saab into the ground. Too bad, too, since true Saabs were ahead of their time.

I've always thought those Saabs looked mean. Nice car man. I think the chassis is actually from GM Europe - like their Opel/Peugeot division or something. In another life, these would have been tight competitors with the 3-series, but GM ran Saab into the ground. Too bad, too, since true Saabs were ahead of their time.

It's not a EU chassis. It's a global chassis used by opel vectra, Pontiac g6, Chevy Malibu, and Pontiac aura... called Epsilon platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform

Epsilon is General Motors' mid-size front-wheel drive automobile platform. The architecture was developed by Opel, and debuted in the 2002 Opel Vectra and 2003 Saab 9-3. Since this platform falls squarely in the center of the worldwide automobile market, GM plans to produce a great many Epsilon vehicles with over a dozen variations. As of 2005, it is GM's highest volume worldwide platform. Even after the dissolution of the GM/Fiat partnership, both companies retain the rights to continue developing Epsilon-derived models.

Man, you made me do research. I hate research. But I like to be right more than I hate research. :D

It's not a EU chassis. It's a global chassis used by opel vectra, Pontiac g6, Chevy Malibu, and Pontiac aura... called Epsilon platform
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Epsilon_platform

Man, you made me do research. I hate research. But I like to be right more than I hate research. :D

Well, technically you're both right. The chassis was designed and prototyped by Opel. So you could technically call it an EU chassis, but, it's also a global platform because GM owns Opel and could use that chassis for cars around the world.

Regardless, platform is only part of the equation. It's still up to Saab to decide where to place pillars, sheet metal, seating, etc. and they pride themselves on making extremely safe (moose-proof) cars.

My little brother ended up rolling his 2001 Saab 9-5. It crashed very well and all four occupants walked away with no more than scratches.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you do this?

4.) You Can Play Pong With A Saab

With all of the computers in cars these days, you'd assume that engineers would sneak some fun hidden-away pieces of code in there. The Swedish nutsos at Saab left us with our new favorite, explains Highball.

When using the GM Tech II on a Saab 9-3 SS (I believe this works on 2003-2007 cars) if you go into the Airbag/SRS system submenu, there is a easter egg that allows the tech to play Pong on the Tech II.