its not the bike, its the rider!

Hoblick

I've noticed smaller bikes up to maybe 350cc don't need to use brakes or let off throttle through corners. There's always corners that doesn't quite work on, but there's often a way through anyway if you work at it. Roads that will let you hold full throttle the entire time are a completely different type of fun. You really get to concentrate on the corner lines.

what i dont get is, the mindset of those guys getting just destroyed in the corners being so eager to pass him back on the straight? wouldn't you just let up a little bit on the straight to see what he's doing better in the corner?

checking your ego is critical to learning, especially at the track.

a great chef isn't great because of the pots and pans (s)he uses...

a great painter isn't great because of the brushes (s)he uses...

a great photographer is great because of his/her camera...

an old axiom comes to mind: "it's more fun to ride a 'slow' bike fast than a 'fast' bike slow." maybe that's why i have lots of fun riding my 'slow' bike at medium speed.

Edited by jblosser

Looks like a good/maybe even great rider on a 250 out in the intermediate group at a trackday. They could definitely learn a thing or two by trying to follow through the corners instead of just passing on the straights.

When I first bumped to running advanced trackdays, I hated getting passed by SV's but rather than just blowing by in the straights I would stay back and try to follow them into the turns.

literally riding it like a go cart, no slowing down no braking .. very nice. But i always wonder, isnt a rider better if he can do the same on a more powerful and heavier bike + drilling it down the straight rather than just trying to squeeze out a smaller bike. ?

It's easier to push the slower bike to its limits. Much easier to take a 70 mph corner when you're only going 85. A slight let-off and you're set. The same corner on a much faster bike requires breaking from say 130 down to 70. Newer riders tend to brake too early/too much. Everything they gained in the straight was just lost.

That's one reason I like bikes so much comparted to cars. Fast car makes average driver great. Fast bike makes average rider average. Great riders make any bike look good.

As previously stated, Ninja 250's will do 95+, same as my little Aprilia RS125 (2 stroke).

Biggie

what i dont get is, the mindset of those guys getting just destroyed in the corners being so eager to pass him back on the straight? wouldn't you just let up a little bit on the straight to see what he's doing better in the corner?

checking your ego is critical to learning, especially at the track.

Been there. I stayed in 4th gear at Putnam and let kaleb DeKeyrel teach me a lot at Putnam. He was on a morowaki 250 at the time. Nice kid too. His dad was good people as well. I was stuck in the mid 20's in the morning at Putnam. After following kaleb, I hit 21's right before lunch, and 19's later that day.

has to be novice class. Even out of the corners he was dusting them off. good rider on 250 and novice riders on bigger bikes. It is fact that little bikes can go fast. Bigger bikes should go faster. fun day for the 250 rider,but by no means as fun as that fast on a bigger bike..