Small Trailer: Anyone tried this

NinjaDoc

Just came across this during google surfing? looked pretty decent, has any one tried this before? Looking at trailer to haul bike from detroit to much better places to ride, like SEO :) and prolly do more track days. When folded small enough to store in an apartment even if you are not having big garage etc.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701

14717_lg.jpg

14717_9_lg.jpg

Edited by NinjaDoc

that includes properly repacking the bearings(where the sole issue with the trailer resides) and how to build a sweet <$10 ramp to get the bike on to the trailer.

One stipulation though, you have to do a track day at Nelson and Mid Ohio with me :D

harbor freight folding trailer.....

add a piece of 4x8' plywood and you are at $300

add a wheel chock for $50

If you buy me a case of beer I'll show you where to get a 20% off coupon and help you build it.

This^^^ with the 20% coupon and a coupon for the chock, I ended up spending $320 total on mine. Buy me an 1/8th of grass and Ill find you the chock coupon haha.

Yeah the first 2 trailers are very common, especially for tracker/racers who live in a PUD development, or condo etc. They usually have rolling casters on them and can go through a human sized door, think condo entrance door.

As others are saying its WAY cheaper to build one from HF, BUT the quality etc. won't be nearly as good. I know SJC1000, Dubguy, both have had or have something similar, so does Dubguys dad, and a ton of guys from Indy. They've taken them from Indy to FL multiple times, Road Atlanta, etc.

The HF ones are fine for local, and I would say maybe even Grattan, Putnam, etc. but anything further and I would spend the coin for something nicer and better constructed.

Not a bad concept, and cheap as a single bike tow option - but underbuilt in comparison to the aluminum Kendon foldup models, yet its way more affordable so quality probably equates it's cost. Not sure how one would get it into an apartment with the axle width remaining the same when its collapsed and it weighing in at 300lbs, but easy enough to foldup and store on a patio under a tarp. Still kind of cool, Doc.....nice little find.

I'm with madcat, spend on this or similar vs HF cheap foldies especially for longer distances - but I dont have the best consumer-to-retailer track record with HF, so my opinion is heavily biased:D

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=tablet-gws&cp=9&gs_id=y&xhr=t&q=trailer+in+a+bag&pf=p&sclient=tablet-gws&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&oq=trailer+i&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.aWc&fp=b5e026a14e9706d2&bpcl=40096503&biw=1024&bih=622

They have been making these for years. No personal experience and have not ever read a bad review. One issue I see is that neither one has any suspension. Pricey new but if you can find a used one you prolly never loose a dime on selling it when that time comes.

I received an email today from harbor freight with coupon for 25% off today only

Coupon is on their website too.

I bought the 4X8 for $225 after tax OTD. It comes in 2 small/medium size boxes. Very easy to transport!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

Gonna build a nice little trailer!

I'm really happy with mine, just went 600 miles on Saturday with it behind my 4cyl car....even with all the slush and crap on the highway, didn't even notice it was back there at 70mph.

Repack the bearings with quality grease and you are good to go.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the run-around trying to plate my trailer.

I was told you need to bring the trailer to the BMV location for registration. So out I went. I got pulled over for no trailer plate, driving it the first time ever, on my way to BMV for a new plate. When I get there they said all the computers are down in the state. Noone can do anything til Tuesday because of the holiday. I still stuck around to ask critical questions. BMV says I need to get the trailer weighed, to register it. Is this true? She said the only other way, is with a certificate of origin. Could the data plates on the trailer meet this requirement? How is everyone handling these issues?

I'm getting the run-around trying to plate my trailer.

I was told you need to bring the trailer to the BMV location for registration. So out I went. I got pulled over for no trailer plate, driving it the first time ever, on my way to BMV for a new plate. When I get there they said all the computers are down in the state. Noone can do anything til Tuesday because of the holiday. I still stuck around to ask critical questions. BMV says I need to get the trailer weighed, to register it. Is this true? She said the only other way, is with a certificate of origin. Could the data plates on the trailer meet this requirement? How is everyone handling these issues?

NO, harbor freight should have given you a title with the trailer when you bought it. It has the weight and class and everything on it, you just take that in and register it like a car.

When I get there they said all the computers are down in the state. Noone can do anything til Tuesday because of the holiday.

I can tell you that this part is a lie.

I don't have any circuit tickets for dayton. I also logged into the system without trouble. So someone was blowing smoke up your ass.

Harbor Freight should have given you a certificate of origin. That is all you need to take to the deputy registrar along with ID to get your plate. You can probably do the weigh ticket route also.

Depends on the DMV worker. Mine accepted the Chinese "title" when I pointed out the shipping weight.

A weigh station slip would be more convincing proof though.

In OH, trailers below a certain weight don't have real titles.