Trailer down to GAP / misc trailer questions

rawlins87

i feel like there should be a market for enclosed trailers that are 4-5' tall while towing, but then crank up to have 7' doorways and 7.5' ceilings once you stop and want to unload.

Like a pop-up camper where canvass with mesh windows that can zip closed fill the extension between the wall and ceiling, or even a complete hard-sided model. That would operate just like the slide-out sides on big RV's, except it would slide vertically...

Especially if it's a simple manual crank system (hook up an electric drill...), it wouldn't be expensive or complicated.

Then you'd have the best of both worlds. A trailer that gets better economy towing, but one you can also stand up in once you're at your destination. The fuel savings add up quickly when you drop the roof height by 2 fee or more.

That's at least 12 square feet of surface area that's no longer catching wind. With aerodynamic drag multiplying exponentially with speed and all, I have to believe it would be 3-4 mpg improvement.

i feel like there should be a market for enclosed trailers that are 4-5' tall while towing, but then crank up to have 7' doorways and 7.5' ceilings once you stop and want to unload.

Like a pop-up camper where canvass with mesh windows that can zip closed fill the extension between the wall and ceiling, or even a complete hard-sided model. That would operate just like the slide-out sides on big RV's, except it would slide vertically...

Especially if it's a simple manual crank system (hook up an electric drill...), it wouldn't be expensive or complicated.

Then you'd have the best of both worlds. A trailer that gets better economy towing, but one you can also stand up in once you're at your destination. The fuel savings add up quickly when you drop the roof height by 2 fee or more.

That's at least 12 square feet of surface area that's no longer catching wind. With aerodynamic drag multiplying exponentially with speed and all, I have to believe it would be 3-4 mpg improvement.

Simple enough concept. I've seen solid wall pop-up campers employing this idea, but have never seen it as a cargo trailer option. Be one pricey cargo, and may be why they aren't mass produced

I was thinking more of a Hi Lo pop up with rigid walls and top, where its split in the center with just a sweep seal that lets the top 2-3ft of upper sides/roof raise to meet the top of the walls. Much sturdier than typical pop ups

hi-lo-towlite-1907-travel-trailer-2007.jpg

Or this would be an easier design concept, just needs a ramp gate out the back

alto.jpg

Edited by Hellmutt