Trailer down to GAP / misc trailer questions

rawlins87

Who trailer down to deals gap this year?

How big is your trailer? (width & length)

What kind of trailer? Open? Enclosed? Utility/landscape trailer? Motorcycle specific trailer?

How many bikes can you fit/haul?

Payload rating?

Single, double, triple axle?

Ample built in storage space? Or lacking? (I.e. open trailer with lock/tool boxes-or- enclosed with built in cabinets)

Anthing you would change about your trailer?

i have used several trailers.

open landscape trailer hauled with a 1500 V6 Silverado

6x12 enclosed hauled by my titan

3 rail trailer hauled with the Sonata

as much as i love having an enclosed trailer, and not have to worry about space. I can throw everything and anything i wanted in it.

but unless you are hauling a few buddies with you that will chip in some cash, its not worth it IMO.

I was getting 10mpg haulin 2 bikes and gear in the enclosed trailer with my titan.

i got 23 mpg hauling my ducati out to colorado, gear, luggage, toolbox and what not in the trunk of the car.

so for my its ALOT cheaper to do a small open trailer pulled behind the car than lugging a huge enclosed trailer with more space,

if i could get a toy hauler, then it would be better worth it, i would be saving the cost of a place to stay.

so my rig this year will be the 4x8 open trailer im putting together. you have seen the pics. single axel, leaf spring suspension, will hold 1700lbs. Ill be able to haul 2 bikes on it, and ill have a place for my canopy for track days, as well as a place underneath for my ramp. Ill either do a small v shape rock guard up front and a place for gas cans behind it, or a lock box type thing instead.

Mine is 7x12. Single axle. It's rated for 2990, I think. I hauled 5 bikes.

The e-track is nice, but we never use it for hauling bikes side by side.

That is the same as I have now too, hum wonder why :lol:

I usually haul 3 and get 15mpg with the Hemi to the Gap and back

I may trailer my bike down this time. It depends on time constraints. Last year I pulled two bikes with the Subaru and got ~23mpg @ 65mph. It normally gets ~30mpg. When I pulled with the Frontier I saw 18mpg @ 65-70mph. The best I've seen that truck do without hauling is 19mpg. So' date=' the Frontier had no idea it was pullin two bikes and a trailer. I used the same trailer for both trips. It's a 5x8 open trailer that weighs ~700lbs, 13" wheels and has a tube steel frame and ramp. I don't take the ramp gate with me on long trips. I use a folding aluminum ramp instead.

My trailer can haul two bikes with little issue. However, anything larger than a Multistrada and I'm outta room. Now that I have the Nissan I may opt for a larger trailer. Either an open 6x10, or an enclosed unit.

I use Condor chocks to secure the bikes. They work well and never give me fits. Two straps per bike and I'm rolling with confidence that they'll stay put.

My trailer was built in Indiana. It cost ~$1300, out the door. It's high quality and durable. The brand is "SureTrac".[/quote']

I might be in the market for a 5x8 trailer so if you're gonna upgrade let me know. My dads trailer won't be available for this years trip so I need to come up with a Plan B and need something no smaller than 5x8 to get the VFR and the VROD on it

I've got a 5x9 open trailer for sale if you're interested. We just hauled the bike to Florida and back with it.

Thanks but no thanks. Just interested in everyone rigs with pros/cons.

My goal is to have a trailer that can fit 4-5 bikes minimum. ~16' dual axles. Aluminum storage boxes for straps, aluminum box lined with foam for helmets, another box for jackets, suits, another box for tools, and maybe 1-2 more.

I've hauled tons of bikes for the last company I worked for and my major problem I always had on rigs was disorganization and lack of storage. And they weren't my trailers so I couldn't modify them.

I've got an enclosed 6x14, single axle. Can fit 4 sport bikes with room for gear. I need to make some shelves up in the V and it would be better. If I had to do it all over again I would go with a 7 ft wide trailer. It gets tight between the bikes in a 6 ft.

I tow with an F150, and doesn't really matter the load, it gets ~11 mpg towing that trailer. Could have 4 bikes and loaded to the max with gear, or could be empty. It has more to do with the fact your pulling a giant sail behind you. I also tend to drive fast, I could probably get 13 or so mpg if I went 65 on the highyway, but I choose to go closer to 75.

I have a 6x10 enclosed that I now tow with a Tacoma dbl cab. It gets around 14-16mpg with the trailer. The only thing I did was add trailer brakes as the Tacoma was lacking in that dept vs my old Dodge Cummins. I put shelves and a cabinet up front for storage of our helmets,leathers,boots,tools,air compressor,ez-up etc. which stays in the trailer all year. The trailer has Baxley chocks and e-track and both bikes can be loaded/strapped and ready to go in less than 5 mins. Definitely nothing fancy as it was a jobsite trailer in its former life but it does make traveling with bikes (and a wife:)) much easier for me.

Who trailer down to deals gap this year? I will be again this year.

How big is your trailer? (width & length) The bed is approximately 6.5' wide x 8.5' long. The overall dimensions are closer to 9' x 15'.

What kind of trailer? Open? Enclosed? Utility/landscape trailer? Motorcycle specific trailer? http://www.tritontrailers.com/products/Model.aspx?CatID=28&SubCatID=40&ModelID=353&info=specifications

Older version of that trailer, open and motorcycle specific.

How many bikes can you fit/haul? 2 full size bikes or 3 mini bikes but tight squeeze.

Payload rating? 1950lbs

Single, double, triple axle? Single

Ample built in storage space? Or lacking? (I.e. open trailer with lock/tool boxes-or- enclosed with built in cabinets) Usually enough storage.

Anthing you would change about your trailer? Lighter, bigger and enclosed and permanently mounted to the back end of a nice diesel van sized RV (IE Toy Hauler).

Seriously, this trailer, I want to replace the plywood decking with Aluminum diamond plate and permanently mount in trailer chocks. I also need to rewire it and I want to replace all the lights with LED's.

I do wish the ramp was mounted under the back as opposed to having to pull from the side, makes it harder to get out the ramp in tight spaces.

Biggie

Edited by turnone

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=16949

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=16950

Aluminum 6x12 single axle, no brakes. I will have a scooter in the Harley spot and won't be using the custom wheel chock instead the scooter and the bike will both be held in place with pit-bull trailer restraints. I drive +10 over the speed limit and get 11.7 MPG with a vehicle that gets 14.9 on the highway without the trailer.

The biggest concern for me is fuel mileage. The better the mileage the happier i am. Paying $200 for a trackday, then having to pit almost the same in gas kills me. So either one of 2 things must happen like i said.

Big enclosed trailer, splitting fuel cost with several people, or smalll trailer with really fuel efficient vehicle.

I keep going down in size of my trailers, this one is the smallest I've ever had but I wanted it for several reasons. It has a "V" nose that I will never do without again, the sides are seamless so no more rivet rust, it is all aluminum that I paid for up front but have more than made up the price difference in gas and maintenance plus I will have a better resale when that time comes. I wanted a low height trailer this time as well, again adding to the gas mileage plus I can store it inside a garage. I would buy a low height trailer again but it has caused some issues. One being that in order to get any amount of inside height the floor was lowered; this causes ground clearance issues in the front and in the back. I ride trials and getting into and out of some of the riding sites means I'm dragging the tail on more than one occasion. Not as badly as I was the 24' trailer behind the motor home but more than I expected. Having a trailer still means that folks want to borrow it and this little one is no exception but with it being so small and light I usually don’t need to provide the tow vehicle because a minivan is capable of towing it.

harbor freight folding 4x8' with 12" rims.

Currently set up for 1 bike, but if my car had a higher towing capacity, I could fit 2 with a little modification for wider tie down points.

I use a 2x10" for a ramp, which also works nicely as a side rail to strap stuff to in transit. Trailer is low enough I can walk the bike up easily.

When I put the thing together I was concerned about my car pulling it and braking with the trailer attached. Empty you forget it is behind the car, even at 75.Normally I get ~34mpg with my car, with an empty trailer it's down to ~32mpg and I got 29 on the way back from Kentucky going about 70-75 most of the way. If I slow I could get >30mpg hauling a bike.

No protected storage sucks, but that is why my car has a backseat and a trunk. May mount a tongue box and move the bike back to reduce tongue weight for next year.

Things that need changed: lights are getting torn up from road debris and the stock wiring is garbage(the chassis ground relies on conduction through a hinge).

The biggest concern for me is fuel mileage. The better the mileage the happier i am. Paying $200 for a trackday, then having to pit almost the same in gas kills me. So either one of 2 things must happen like i said.

Big enclosed trailer, splitting fuel cost with several people, or smalll trailer with really fuel efficient vehicle.

Exactly, gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Aluminum, v-nose, low height, saved me enough in gas the first year I owned it that it practically paid for itself the first year. I store it inside at all times and do not have one bit of rust on it anywhere after five years. No repainting the frame or worrying about support rusting through. I can only carry two street bikes but I have had five trials bikes in it. What I over paid for an aluminum trailer up front has more that made up the difference in cost of ownership in several categories.

Whatever you end up with, buy peace of mind.

I constantly worry about the 12" wheel setting my bearings on fire during sustained stints above 70mph.

On the one hand, that keeps me nice and slow, an improves my fuel economy (~22) with the wife's small SUV. On the other hand, I win I could pass people at 80 mph and not be checking the mirrors for smoke...

To be fair, I check the hubs religiously, and they've never even been hot to the touch.

But the "peace of mind" argument applies to all things. The pit bull TRS stopped my worries over the bike falling during transport. That was huge. New bearings and/or bigger wheels are my next likely upgrade.

What's everyone's biggest con or problems with their current rigs?

6x10 enclosed

Cons: as stated, fuel mileage does suffer (funny note- my dodge cummins maintained 18mpg @ 65-70mph, my tacoma v-6 drops approx 4-5mpg but my friend's Duramax dually went from 21mpg to 12 mpg with my trailer and same load:eek:) Granted I drive like a grandma and pretty much stay @65-70 where as he drives 80-85 the whole way.

It can haul 2 bikes fine with all the gear needed but it can be a tight fit

Now that I have a smaller truck I would like to have one with a lower roof height, but no more than I actually tow it would be hard to justify right now

I really miss having an open trailer for various hauling duties that the enclosed is either cumbersome or not long enough.

Pros: I like the security especially if the trip involves unknown stops/hotels/areas.

I like having the bikes and belongings out of the elements and away from thieving hands.

It doubles as a place to sleep on occasions

During the winter it gets used as a place to store my quad

All of our bike related gear stays in the trailer year around so it keeps everything together and you always know where everything is.

Taking a week or two trip with wife involves lots of luggage...the trailer helps

Anyone use cargo/motorcycle hitch haulers? Seems to be the place for me to start. Still have the capability to haul and save $ by better fuel economy.

Thinking about making a few, gonna be setup for a mc and storage. All I see online is only one or the other not both.

if you build a hitch one add extra supports. The manufactored one I have is a pos. The floor has bent down because of strapping the bikes down and travel over rough roads. With that its also tweaked the frame to lean to one side.

if you build a hitch one add extra supports. The manufactored one I have is a pos. The floor has bent down because of strapping the bikes down and travel over rough roads. With that its also tweaked the frame to lean to one side.

That's the problem everyone that has a store bought one is weak or bends/breaks.

Thinking about several models

400-500lb for dirt bikes (overkill) class 3 hitch

And a 1000lb model for sport bikes or multiple dirt bikes + cargo (class 4 hitch)

Can guarantee either model won't bend or break

Heavier model I'm thinking all c channel and expanded metal

Lighter version would be angle + expanded metal