Wanted. Four used fronts.

RSparky

Hey guys,

My senior design project is an electric car to compete in the shell eco-marathon. In order to save costs on our limited budget, I'm wondering if any of you guys have 4 used but not bald front tires of the same make that I could potentially find cheap rims for. Lemme know, even if you think it won't work.

Thanks guys.

Would you be better with donut spares? Less rolling resistance, should be cheap form a junkyard.

This, and they come with wheels. Or go to Harbor Freight and buy 4 cheap trailer spares.

If you want motorcycle sized tires, I have a matched set I'll give you.....they're cooked down but not quite bald. 190/120 17"

I was on a team in SunRayce97. Cal State won. MIT came in second, they normally win. Everyone used special high pressure low rolling resistance tires, or similar. You will need spares, quite a few spares. We used tiny high tech go cart disc brakes.

The technology changes rapidly, what worked in the last race probably won't be a winner in the next race.

edit: Actually, University of Michigan wins a lot. A little help from the auto industry.

I should point out that SunRayce was solar. But the low rolling resistance tires were crucial. Had to have them.

If you work the rolling resistance calculations, you'll see the effect it has.

Edited by ReconRat

Something like these:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/20925/ITEM/IRC-NR77-Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=Cart_Item

Our specific requirements are rim diameter between 13-17", and sidewall greater than 80mm.

This is our el cheapo option, but dirt tread is just going to be horrible...

http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/products_id/14865

I think motorcycle tires are going to be too big and bulky for that competition. Your team might want to reconsider using bicycle tires. Kids bikes have thin lightweight, sturdy tires that are more efficient in the 12-14" size. You're gonne need huge rim for a motorcycle tire. Just my two cents and something to consider.