Ohio State raising football ticket prices?

Casper

I heard them mention raising the basketball ticket prices. Not surprised. Since moving here in '08 I've heard of tickets prices going up more than once.

I guess they have to pay for Gee, Meyers and Motta's salaries. Motta just got a raise so I heard.

They sell out every game and usually scalpers will get multiple times the face value of a ticket. For the Michigan games its even worse. It only business sense to try to take advantage of that to increase revenue.

As mentioned above, its capitalism.

Craig

excerpt from Detroit Free Press.

OSU football tickets have been $70 across the board the last three years. They would rise to $79 for "non-premier" games and $110-$125 for "premier" games next season and in 2014. In 2015 and 2017, "premier" game tickets would be $125-$150. And in 2016 -- most likely for the Michigan game -- a "premier" game ticket would be $175.

“Basically, for us to be sustainable for the next five years, this is where we need to be,” university vice chair Antoinette Miranda told the Dispatch. "We do know that people on Stubhub pay way more than $175 for a ticket.”

difference is that is for a select number of seats, not the entire fucking stadium. As mentioned several times...Capitalism at it's finest.

I did some math back in 2010 and I found that it took 11000+ students full tuition to pay the top 250 employees salary and benefit packages. That figure did not cover any deferred comp packages either as the information is not as readily available.

So it takes 20% of the students tuition to cover 1% of the employees. I fear this has become an even more lopsided issue in the last two years.

I did some math back in 2010 and I found that it took 11000+ students full tuition to pay the top 250 employees salary and benefit packages. That figure did not cover any deferred comp packages either as the information is not as readily available.

So it takes 20% of the students tuition to cover 1% of the employees. I fear this has become an even more lopsided issue in the last two years.

Interesting, I've always wondered what the athletics program actually "costs" the students, athletics, etc. Not sure if that made sense, but basically if they are able to pay for their coaches salaries from their ticket sales, televised games, soveniers, etc.? Or if they end up using tuition money on top of all of that.

I went to a private school, and didn't look at any state schools, so I don't know if they have a clause were tuition $$ can't be used to pay coaches or what.

Any idea?

Interesting, I've always wondered what the athletics program actually "costs" the students, athletics, etc. Not sure if that made sense, but basically if they are able to pay for their coaches salaries from their ticket sales, televised games, soveniers, etc.? Or if they end up using tuition money on top of all of that.

I went to a private school, and didn't look at any state schools, so I don't know if they have a clause were tuition $$ can't be used to pay coaches or what.

Any idea?

So 102,329 seats times ticket price should give you a ballpark (there are discounted student tickets but private boxes probably offsets most of that) there are a lot of parked cars. Sodexo, the vendor pays to be there. The ushers/ redcoats are volunteers.

I believe a large part of urban Meyers salary is covered by Nike but that is just gray accounting.

Any idea?

If I recall correctly, Football/Baseball pay for the rest of the Athletic Dept programs (including all those olympic sports that no one cares about, like synchronized swimming and shooting sports). I don't believe regular university funding went there. At least when I was in school and participating in varsity athletics.

according to this source, linked from Forbes, tOSU football program generated $39 M in income in 2010, $35.7 M in 2011 (one less home game).

according to this article, it looks like the entire department is in the black, but barely. creative accounting 101, likely.

Any idea?

The football program and mens basketball program both bring in revenue after team expenses.

Capitalism. Sometimes' date=' it's a bitch.[/quote']

So is slavery. I'd like to see Urban get by on the value of the tuition provided to the "amateur" players.

So is slavery. I'd like to see Urban get by on the value of the tuition provided to the "amateur" players.

Urban is paid by the University for the value he brings to their sports program, which is a tremendous source of revenue. If he wasn't worth it, he wouldn't make that much. If the players or the fans have a problem with that divide, they're free to avoid playing for or watching OSU.

Slavery is not usually a condition where everyone vies and competes to get themselves into shackles.

The players get a free tuition, and the chance to audition for multi-million dollar NFL contracts. They're not victims of anything, except their own desire to play at a top-tier NCAA football conference.

They could go play at Grand Mountain State where the coach only pulls in $65,000, if they're feeling too much like the 99%.

This statement is lost on me. :dunno:

I think he is referring to the exploitation of the players and how revenues generated by the players should be reinvested into the university and its facilities. Thereby creating a better learning environment rather than a couple of high paid persons skimming it all off the top.

Slavery is not usually a condition where everyone vies and competes to get themselves into shackles.

I'd say this is something of an unusual condition. There is no viable commercial alternative. So, they basically play for free hoping they survive long enough for a shot at the NFL SuperLotto.

They play for an education. That's their paycheck. School for free. If they can't get a scholarship' date=' then they're probably not good enough for the NFL and need to make sure they have a grasp of the "3 Rs".[/quote']
^^

It's a multi billion $ industry with a price fixed labor market set right at $0. You get credit that you can only spend at the company store. Free market or antitrust?

I didn't pay $70 and wouldn't pay $170. I don't have the Big Ten Network (for a league with 12 teams, one "R" bites the dust). So, it's sort of "academic" to me. I graduated from OSU and got a good education, so I'm not down on the institution. But if you want to see actual amateur sports, go watch a high school game. About as close as you can get.

World is setup for the rich. High ticket prices are hard to stomach, but if they can sell them, then they will price them accordingly. I have never been to an OSU game and don't really plan to. Everything desirable with limited availability goes up in price. Basic supply and demand.

Biggie