Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

So how long is the trail there?

How difficult?

Been meaning to get down there but it is a 50min drive from here :(

Ive done Royalview a few times. Its pretty easy. I had no problem doing both loops. Would have done more but didn't have time.

May have to try to squeeze in a trip to Medina this weekend sometime.

Craig

About 10 miles. There are 5 different sections so you can loop around your favorite parts. Some areas you can get a ton of speed plus there are some technical sections too! Royalview is only 1/2 mile from me but takes 30min for me to get to Medina but its WELL WORTH IT. Hit me up to ride if you want, am going again sometime this weekend.

Edited by motozachl

About 10 miles. There are 5 different sections so you can loop around your favorite parts. Some areas you can get a ton of speed plus there are some technical sections too! Royalview is only 1/2 mile from me but takes 30min for me to get to Medina but its WELL WORTH IT. Hit me up to ride if you want, am going again sometime this weekend.

Ill PM you if I can get away. 

Between the weather and packed family activities this weekend, its unlikely I can get the 1/2 day off needed to get to Medina and ride, but maybe I can work in something.

From the map seems like the "moderate" is similar to Royalview. Might be a little tougher than Canalway but Canalway is only one 2 mile loop.

Craig

Nope it does feel appropriate for me now that I have over 100 miles on it now. I LOVE this bike i also freaking LOVE the medina trail. Rode again on tuesday

Can't wait to see the ski. Come up this weekend with your man 102nd7

Sweet, I've been trying to get ahold of Airborne so I can just drive to Dayton and pick one up but they won't answer their phone. It's really a bike for the GF, so I'm going to get a 16", but I think I should still be able to ride it if my Fuel breaks. After riding a new Fuel Ex 29er at a demo day it's really hard to get back on my 26, so maybe I'll end up riding it more than she will.

I'm pretty sure we will be up sometime this weekend, likely on Sunday from the sound of it.

Won't matter one bit. Unless you're doing a 10 mile downhill riding the fuck out of the brakes the whole way, you'll never notice a difference.

Exactly.  you wont notice a difference.  I'd go with OEM fluid and ride on.

Thanx fellas.......I'd already ordered the OEM fluid, figured it was the least questionable option since I don't partake in DBR so should be good to go.  The threads I was finding that were recommending blood oil were race guys ( did a random search on the brake system and just took advice out of context )

Raced the Mohican 100 miler this past saturday.  Muddy and sloppy on the trails.  Finished in 10hrs 15 minutes.  About 10 minutes faster than last year...but considering the winner took 30 minutes longer than last year...I'll take it!  My buddy finished in 9:40 something.

You sir are hardcore

+1 

Congratulations. It sounds like you did really well.

I may have to consider doing the 100k version in the next year or 2, but if I do my goal ill be to finish that in about 10hrs. 100 miles in that time is way out of reach.

Craig

Well thats dumb

Its because the company is really just an importer from China. So CA is were the container lands. They just direct ship to the customer. 

Cheap labor in China and minimal overhead is the reason the bikes cost so little.

Craig

+1 

Congratulations. It sounds like you did really well.

I may have to consider doing the 100k version in the next year or 2, but if I do my goal ill be to finish that in about 10hrs. 100 miles in that time is way out of reach.

Craig

Thanks!  I was happy with the result.  would've liked to pedal up two big hills after the 72 mile mark...but my legs were cramping and walking helped.  I'm done with 100 miles...I'll do the 60 mile version next year.

Its because the company is really just an importer from China. So CA is were the container lands. They just direct ship to the customer. 

Cheap labor in China and minimal overhead is the reason the bikes cost so little.

Craig

Though to be fair, just about everybody is having their frames built in China, now.

Though to be fair, just about everybody is having their frames built in China, now.

True, though I feel there is difference between a rebrander who drop ships to your house and a manufacturer who distributes through your local bike shop (LBS).

I do have a bike purchased from one of these rebranders, and while the price was great and the frame good the assembly and component choices were more questionable. There was obviously some serious cost cutting going on to get to the prices they are sold for.

My Surly CrossCheck built up by the LBS is a much nicer bike and has had fewer problems despite being abused by years of all weather commuting on Cleveland "streets". 

Craig

Apples to apples, Airborne is using as good or better component groups on their bikes than Trek and the rest, these days. And if they're all having their frames built in China, aren't they all rebranders? None of them are large enough companies to have their own factories, at least so far as I know. Only the boutique/custom bike builders are doing it differently, and I don't know anybody with the coin for one of those.

For instance (all aluminum frame, XC, entry level, full suspension 29ers, components color coded for higher or lower level than the Airborne):

Airborne Hobgoblin: SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Rockshox Monarch shock, Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes. $1825 +tax, shipped to your door.

Giant Anthem X 29er 1: Shimano SLX/XT mixed 2x10 drivetrain, Fox Float fork (100mm travel) & shock, Elixir 5 brakes. $2875 +tax.

Trek Superfly 100 AL: SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain (w/shimano cassette), Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Rockshox Monarch shock, Elixir 1 hydraulic brakes, $2260 + tax

Cannondale Scalpel 29er 4: Shimano SLX/XT mixed 3x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Recon Gold fork (80mm travel), X-Fusion E1 RL shock, Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes. $2660 +tax

Specialized Epic Comp 29: SRAM X7/X9 mixed 2x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Fox/Specialized custom shock, Magura MTS brakes. $3300 +tax

(Sorry to post over and over... new board won't let me edit my own posts for some reason?)

So of the whole lot of them, the Specialized is the only one that's marginally better equipped. And for that price, I could get a Hobgoblin with full XO components.

I ride a 2013 specialized epic comp 29.  great bike except for the brakes.  Magura MTS brakes are way squishy.  Bikesource columbus worked on them and got new ones from the manufacture for me...free of charge...but they still kinda suck.  I like the brakes on my 2010 Trek Fuel Ex 5 better (Avid Juicy 3)

Apples to apples, Airborne is using as good or better component groups on their bikes than Trek and the rest, these days. And if they're all having their frames built in China, aren't they all rebranders? None of them are large enough companies to have their own factories, at least so far as I know. Only the boutique/custom bike builders are doing it differently, and I don't know anybody with the coin for one of those.

For instance (all aluminum frame, XC, entry level, full suspension 29ers, components color coded for higher or lower level than the Airborne):

Airborne Hobgoblin: SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Rockshox Monarch shock, Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes. $1825 +tax, shipped to your door.

Giant Anthem X 29er 1: Shimano SLX/XT mixed 2x10 drivetrain, Fox Float fork (100mm travel) & shock, Elixir 5 brakes. $2875 +tax.

Trek Superfly 100 AL: SRAM X7 2x10 drivetrain (w/shimano cassette), Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Rockshox Monarch shock, Elixir 1 hydraulic brakes, $2260 + tax

Cannondale Scalpel 29er 4: Shimano SLX/XT mixed 3x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Recon Gold fork (80mm travel), X-Fusion E1 RL shock, Elixir 3 hydraulic brakes. $2660 +tax

Specialized Epic Comp 29: SRAM X7/X9 mixed 2x10 drivetrain, Rockshox Reba RL fork (100mm travel), Fox/Specialized custom shock, Magura MTS brakes. $3300 +tax

What are the wheelsets associated with these bikes?  I dont think the frames are the same as others.

I didn't include the wheelsets because they're hard to compare. At this level of bike, most all of them are using in-house components, or entry-level stuff from Sun Ringle or WTB, or a mixture of both. None of them are using anything to get excited about, that I can say for sure.

The frame designs do vary, but not wildly so, and they're all using equivalent qualities of aluminum.

Edited by CephasGT