Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Sounds good. I know I'm busy on the 19th but should be free the 20th.

The 20th should work for me. Lets plan on that. 

Nice, the Airbornes look like badass bikes, and you're getting a nice FS for the cost of a nice HT. Sucks it rained all weekend, let me know if you ever want to hit up alum evenings or on weekends.

I may try to ride Friday evening if the weather holds and the trails dry up...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write up Cephas....I think I might try one or two next year time permitting if I can keep improving. 

So heres my long winded Airborne Hobgoblin story for those interested in buying from Airborne. 

Test rode one at the Midwest Outdoor Fest in Dayton... If your considering buying a Hobgoblin or Goblin I highly recommend going and buying a demo since they were considerably marked down... I placed my order when I got home on Monday late afternoon and bike shipped from California Tuesday morning. Arrived Friday afternoon and was the wrong size bike. Called the guy back and since it was late friday with the weekend coming up it would be taken care of Monday morning. No big deal to me. Fedex came to my place to pick up the bike Tuesday and new bike was 2 day expressed Tuesday morning....Bike came Thursday and was very easy to put together. I had one issue of the rear brake needing bled. I contacted Airborne and they offered to contact SRAM and send new brakes. I wanted to ride today so I took to local bike shop so they could bleed the system. I relayed that to Airborne and they said send invoice for the bleed and it will be taken care of....Very good customer service.

SO... finally got to ride it today and its awesome! Had a PR time and was nowhere near as fatigued as normal. Frame/paint looks great and everything  is quality. Well worth the money. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Raced the Alum Creek CX race this morning, then switched bikes and headed over to P1 for a couple laps. Pretty sweet trail! Very old school, and I liked it. Sort of a nice change from the super-buff, IMBA-approved trail we have around here.

Nice write up Cephas....I think I might try one or two next year time permitting if I can keep improving. 

So heres my long winded Airborne Hobgoblin story for those interested in buying from Airborne. 

Test rode one at the Midwest Outdoor Fest in Dayton... If your considering buying a Hobgoblin or Goblin I highly recommend going and buying a demo since they were considerably marked down... I placed my order when I got home on Monday late afternoon and bike shipped from California Tuesday morning. Arrived Friday afternoon and was the wrong size bike. Called the guy back and since it was late friday with the weekend coming up it would be taken care of Monday morning. No big deal to me. Fedex came to my place to pick up the bike Tuesday and new bike was 2 day expressed Tuesday morning....Bike came Thursday and was very easy to put together. I had one issue of the rear brake needing bled. I contacted Airborne and they offered to contact SRAM and send new brakes. I wanted to ride today so I took to local bike shop so they could bleed the system. I relayed that to Airborne and they said send invoice for the bleed and it will be taken care of....Very good customer service.

SO... finally got to ride it today and its awesome! Had a PR time and was nowhere near as fatigued as normal. Frame/paint looks great and everything  is quality. Well worth the money. 

I had zero issues with my Airborne purchase but can attest to the excellent service as well.

Not showing a trek in the link...

Revel why don't you want a 29er?

Around here where the trails are mostly flat and not very technical, I can see the advantages but I just can't get comfortable and I am sure I would hate them if I ever encountered another switchback.

Of all the trails I have ridden in OR, UT and BC, I can never think of once where I have said to myself, "if only my tire was larger, I could have cleaned that." I think it was a marketing gimic to encourage sales and the trend now to go back to a 27 is quite interesting.

Though, I am quite intrigued by the new single and dual chain ring bikes with more rear gears. I like the quick ratio drop of a dual so I would like to see how fast the new ones drop and if you can drop 3-4 sprockets at once in back.

I f'ed up and got wd40 all over my pads. Any suggestions on cleaning? Everything I have read so far says they are toast.

Pads are cheap. I'd just replace them.

I never thought I'd dig 29ers either, until I rode them. The difference is substantial. I love my full squish 26er to death, but with how well sorted the 29er geometry is now, I can't see buying another one.

I think the plethora of wheel sizes is a good thing. It helps develop frame and suspension concepts, and offers something for everybody. A friend of mine just got a Scott 27.5" hardtail and is absolutely in love with the thing. Far more than his 29ers.

• 2 weeks later...

Bike is back from the shop. Pads replaced and rear tire seems to holding air again. Too bad the weather is going to shit on Friday, I was thinking of heading over to JB this weekend if it stayed warm like this.

Though, I am now starting to think about picking up a Pugsly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been quiet in this thread.

I haven't hauled my bike to any trails recently but I have been riding my fatbike around the local park. 6" of snow makes the walking trails a great work out and a lot more fun than they are in the summer.

Though I have to watch the tire pressure. An ultra low pressure and mistiming a log, lead to a pinch flat :(

Craig

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

His price seems high given what a new goblin runs.

Agreed. If you want an Airborne bike... wait for the Dayton Midwest Outdoorfest.... They sell demos....essentially new bikes cuz the course is nothing for around $400 off and its already built and you take it home right there.