Official anything Mt. Bike thread.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Agreed. If you want an Airborne bike... wait for the Dayton Midwest Outdoorfest.... They sell demos....essentially new bikes cuz the course is nothing for around $400 off and its already built and you take it home right there.

I am wanting to pick up a seeker or goblin (leaning toward the seeker). Let me know when the demo is cause I probably won't see it.

Made it out yesterday for my first winter ride. Wasn't all that into the cold. It was probably worse since I am not in shape.

I am wanting to pick up a seeker or goblin (leaning toward the seeker). Let me know when the demo is cause I probably won't see it.

Made it out yesterday for my first winter ride. Wasn't all that into the cold. It was probably worse since I am not in shape.

I think it was beginning October last year. Had Goblins for $800 which saves you $75 shipping as well. They seem to be good bikes havent got to ride mine much and I hate cold/snow riding.

Anyone up north ever been to rays mtb park before? Worth a total newb going to?

I have not been yet but will probably try sometime this winter. Been having too much fun in the snow so far. :)

From what I have heard it is great even for the inexperienced. Watching some of the youtube videos there looks like a number of nice courses that would be easy enough to complete without walking but challenging.

I would think it is worth a day trip, even if just to fight off the winter blues.

Craig

Were do you ride in the snow at? Trails or just on a bike path?

Yes,

Neighborhood park has a paved but unplowed multi-use path and some unofficial hiking/MTB trails. I am riding on both. With the nearly a foot of snow we currently have either is a significant challenge. The packed walking trails provide a good surface that is not too challenging. But lightly tracked paths create plenty of challenges to keep upright and going in the right direction. Untracked paths are nearly impossible to get started from stopped but if you can keep pedaling its not too hard to keep upright. Still I spend all my time in my lowest gear (32x34) pedaling at near redline. Tons of fun :)

Craig

Yeah this cold front sucks, i went hunting the last two days and froze once my clothes got damp with sweat from stalk hunting in deep snow.

You are crazy choosing to go out in this weather. A couple days and will be back to normal in the 20s. I can do teens no problem but have a hard time keeping extremities warm below 10F.

Sure I know there are places where is stays that cold for weeks but Cleveland is usually much more mild.

Craig

I went out in the morning before the front moved in. And the next day in the evening  when it had pushed through for the most part. And only for three or four hours each time. If you stay moving you keep warm, and I am like a walrus as far as cold goes. It was late season muzzle loading so I wanted to try to get out. It was a good work out if anything tromping through the deep snow and brush. 

• 3 months later...

Made it out for the first time this year.... Rode alum p2 and it kicked my ass. Hoping P1 is ready tomorrow or may hit up chestnut ridge.

Hit me up if you decide on chestnut. I haven't had the new ride on dirt yet.

Pas two weeks we cleaned our local trail and rode it once. 

Friday I rode 12 at Mohican, I thought I was going to die. I got a leg cramp at the 10 mile mark after tying my shoe, which made it even worse. Got passed twice by a old guy with the smallest seat I ever seen, he said he did the 5 mile loop twice. He passed me in the first mile then passed me at the 10 mile mark. Sucks being fat lol. 

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

The wife wants something a little less "aggresive" to pedal around on, so we are selling her 2000 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Large

Tektro Quartz Brakes

Shimano Deore shifters and front derailleur, and XT rear derailleur

Fox Vanilla rear shock

Manitou Magnum R forks

All stock, barely riden.  We bought it used about 4 or 5 years ago.  Everything works as it should.  Originally $1100.  $275?

post-13259-0-84694900-1398089563_thumb.j

Edited by Ron505

Either bike will work well since the 8.3 has lockout. A solid or locked fork is more efficient and suspension isn't needed on paved roads. As far as I can tell without knowing much about them the components (shifters, derailluers, brakes) look fairly comparable with the 7.3 being more road oriented. You can't go wrong with either just go with what feels better.

I agree with above, if you're really doing 90% road/trails, either will be fine. Negligible weight difference, and for your intended use I think front suspension will just waste your energy and will require periodic maintenance that will cost more in the long run so I'd go solid. Unless that 10% is gonna be taking it off some sweet jumps. 

Im with you paul i bought a front suspension only diamond back from dicks a few years back. It has disc brakes and lots of gears i haveyet to break it under my huge ass. I been running stairs and going hill climbing for the last two weeks trying to get in some other shape than round. Might break the bike out this week to toss into the mix. Down 8 pounds in two weeks, about 50 more to go.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...