A warm winter's day, road hazards, and the AMA.

JackFlash

I took a little ride today. It was warmer than it has been for a while. It was around 3:30 when I left Newark and headed off to Pickerington.

Back in June, I made my first visit to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, in Pickerington, Ohio. At the entry desk, they mentioned that if I join the AMA I would get some sort of discount applied to my entry fee. So, I joined up.

Time went by and joining the AMA was long forgotten. Eventually, a receipt surfaced which prompted my memory that I had paid for a membership, but I had never received anything to welcome me to the club or anything else from them. I kept putting off giving them a call until a time when it was more convenient and would stop slipping my mind. Well, finally that day came last week.

I called them. They said they didn't have me in their system and asked if I could mail or fax them a copy of my receipt. I said I'd stop in on the way home from work one day. Better than that, today was a perfect day to just ride in and meet them in person.

A riding jacket and jeans were adequate for today's temperatures. It felt good to straddle the bike again and take off down the road. The roads were moist from a light rain earlier, but the sun was shining when I left home.

A few reminders of road hazards flashed into my day. One was, when you are approaching a hill that you can't see over, stay to the right of your lane. As I was returning home, I took the scenic route through the countryside. A pickup truck coming my way popped up over a hill in front of me and was nearly in the middle of the road. I'm glad I was far enough back to scoot over some before he got too close. Another hazard I wasn't expecting was gravel down the center of my lane in several places on the roadway. There was a lot of it on the main roads, between where cars tires would ride. I suppose this is common after snow has melted off the roadways. Anyway, I learned some things that I didn't think about before.

I arrived at the AMA with my receipt in hand and they took my info and said that tomorrow I could access their website with my new password and I would start getting their magazine in the mail. They were very nice. I'm glad I stopped in.

I got home at 6:05, just before it started getting dark. It was a good day for a ride and I got one in before cold weather hits us again. I can't wait for riding season to come.

:biker:

Edited by JackFlash
  • Upvote 1

Good to hear you had a fun ride.Just wondering...that pick up didn't happen to be a Dodge was it?For some reason,whenever I top a hill and a truck is stratling the centerline it usually seems to be a Dodge.

Gravel in the center of the lane is pretty common until about mid-April,at least over here,just stay in the tire track and you'll be fine.

You'll like the magazine too.

I picked up a few back issues at their office. For anyone who has never been to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, right there by the AMA office, you are missing a real treat. Plan to be there for at least three hours to begin to appreciate it.

Perhaps Ohio Riders should plan a day to visit as a group. I'm sure they would be delighted to have us.

Feedback?

I picked up a few back issues at their office. For anyone who has never been to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, right there by the AMA office, you are missing a real treat. Plan to be there for at least three hours to begin to appreciate it.

Perhaps Ohio Riders should plan a day to visit as a group. I'm sure they would be delighted to have us.

Feedback?

I would go. ;)

I see that the AMA has raised the yearly fee to $49. The Magazine isn't as good as it was. Not sure the AMA is worth $49.

No magazine is ever as good as it used to be, and the included roadside assistance is a nice bonus. I'd rather pay $10 extra to the AMA and not have to pay AAA an additional $45.