Motorcycle Ohio class registration starts Feb 19th at 8:00a

Casper

Thanks!

As an aside, has anyone taken the BRC-2 or ARC classes? From the descriptions i think the BRC-2 might be a little too basic still, but I'm looking for personal reviews if anyone has them. Looking to take one of these this year as they seem like a hell of a deal for some training and feedback.

Wow, the fee is suddenly $50 now. I could have sworn it was $20 just last year, that is way too steep of a price increase.

It's been $25 for a number of years. Yea, 50 bucks stings a little more, but compared to what it is in most states (200-250), it's a bargain.

Hell, it's worth it just to take the test on a tiny little Nighthawk 250 or something vs a big bike.

-Charlie

Thanks!

As an aside, has anyone taken the BRC-2 or ARC classes? From the descriptions i think the BRC-2 might be a little too basic still, but I'm looking for personal reviews if anyone has them. Looking to take one of these this year as they seem like a hell of a deal for some training and feedback.

I took the BRC-2 last year. It was the exact same course as the regular BRC with the exception that you use your own bike. I still got a LOT out of it, though. It's a helluva lot harder making those tight U-Turns on a 636cc machine than a 250!

I might take the ARC this year, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few highlights from the website:

• 6-hour, one-day, range-only course (no formal classroom session)
            • Requires motorcycle license or endorsement
            • Use your own 2-wheeled motorcycle
            • Passengers allowed

• ...take the Basic Rider Course-2 (BRC-2) as an early-season refresher, to bond with that new-to-you motorcycle, or to gain experience and improve control while riding with a passenger.
  • This course is designed for the experienced/endorsed rider (and co-rider) who want to learn more about reducing the risk of riding and practice skills under the watchful and helpful eye of a trained instructor.
  • Additional requirements for ERC/BRC-2 participants with a co-rider:

• A motorcycle equipped to carry a co-rider.
              • The co-rider must be at least 16 years old.
              • Co-riders under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign a release and waiver form before any riding exercises.
              • The co-rider must be able to touch the passenger foot pegs when sitting on the motorcycle.
              • Switching responsibilities between the operator and co-rider is prohibited.
              • The co-rider must also pay a $50.00 non-refundable registration fee.
              • Co-rider must wear the same protective gear as described above.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/BRC2.stm

I thought about taking this course but I don't want to do over what I can already do, and I don't intend to haul a passenger, unless she's proven herself to be a Grade-A sammich maker.

Here's great refresher info for everyone:

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/mo_erccards.pdf

More up my alley may be this:

Advanced Rider Course (ARC)

Do you already have your motorcycle endorsement and your own motorcycle? Are you very comfortable with how your motorcycle handles and have over 1,000 miles of experience on it? If you’re ready to learn how to ride your motorcycle better, take the Advanced Rider Course (ARC).

Classroom Topics include:

• Cornering
  • Braking and Swerving
  • Safety and Risk

• Rider Perception
  • Rider Behavior
  • Risk Offset

Range Exercises include:

• Basic Control
  • Quick Stops
  • Stopping Demonstration
  • Curve Adjustments

• Cornering and Swerving
  • Multiple Curves
  • Decreasing Radius Curves
  • Gap Analysis and Safety Margins

COUNTY.../...CITY.../...LOCATIONS for Advanced Course

• Butler.../...Liberty Township.../...Butler Tech. (513) 645-8350
  • Franklin.../...Columbus.../...Ohio Dept. of Public Safety/Columbus State Community College (614) 287-5489
  • Hamilton.../...Cincinnati.../...Great Oaks Inst. of Tech. (513) 771-8881
  • Miami.../...Troy.../...Motorcycle Safety Foundation (937) 332-6177
  • Sandusky.../...Fremont.../...Terra CC (419) 559-2110

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/advanced_rider.stm

Edited by JackFlash

Looking at the basic rider course website. I noticed they increased the cost of the course by 25.00$, from 25-50.00$. Really? I mean, it's a lot better than going through a dealership and what paying a few hundred dollars or more? Granted, they couldn't jump it up to 30, 35$?

Anyway, just thought i would point it out for everyone who didn't know. And good luck to anyone taking the course this upcoming season.

The cost is probably going to cut down on the no shows and as a result cut the walk ins.

This. ^^^

I took the course last October and that was the thought behind it. People aren't as likely to not show up when the investment is $50.