Transcontinental Ride

Tigerpaw

Thoughts on riding from Dayton, OH to Anchorage, AK?

There is a small possibility I will move to Alaska. The USAF is going to pay for the trip, I'm seriously considering riding up there. I would have the family in a chase vehicle. Averaging 400 miles a day. It could be a "once in a lifetime experience"

I know there are some more appropriate sites to ask the real questions. Just looking for some fun discussion.

That is a trip that my Dad and I have been talking about for years but will probably never do. Would be great to take some detours and see some of the amazing things on the way (Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Glacier, etc).

If you have the chance, do it!

Thoughts on riding from Dayton, OH to Anchorage, AK?

There is a small possibility I will move to Alaska. The USAF is going to pay for the trip, I'm seriously considering riding up there. I would have the family in a chase vehicle. Averaging 400 miles a day. It could be a "once in a lifetime experience"

I know there are some more appropriate sites to ask the real questions. Just looking for some fun discussion.

Guy I know retired last year, bought his dream GSA and rode to Nome and back. Lot to do and see along the way. Enjoy and take a month to do it right.

Back in 2008 I took two months and camped and road around the Rockies in Colorado,Wyoming and Montana.You have a chance of a lifetime...don't pass it up!And the good old USAF(served '80-'84) is going to pay for it!

If you can possibly swing it don't miss these places;

Million Dollar Highway (between Durango and Ouray CO)

Rocky MTN NP (Trail Ridge Rd)

Snowy Range Rd (130 West of Laramie)

The Tetons and Yellowstone area (esp The Beartooth Pass 212 and 296 Chief Joseph Senic Byway)

Flatehead Lake/Glacier NP area (Going to the Sun Rd)

We have been blessed with awesome beauty in this country...especially in the western states.You have a chance to see some of the good stuff...plus Canada!

If your family appreciates natural beauty,this will be a trip that you will all remember the rest of your lives.

Thanks for serving.