Tell me about the Chevy Colorado

chevysoldier

I'm kind of looking at trucks right now. The Colorado seems to be in my price range. I found a 2005 for $8k. Crew cab, 4wd, 160k miles, tow package. Anyone here have one? Happy? Issues? Fuel economy stated right around 20-22mpg, that's what my car gets. Accurate? KBB shows at about $9k so it might be a decent deal.

Huge thread on this on WERA, http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=302966&highlight=colorado

From what I can tell general agreement was get an older 1500 or even S10. To me these are and always will be way over priced S10s with a CC option. And the reviews on the 5Cycls are they as a whole were not so good to put it nicely.

I wouldn't get one if it were me, they jacked the price up from new and sold them as a luxury S10, but overall no really good improvements.

Save yourself all the hardships now and just buy a Ford!!

what he said ^^^

when i worked in the aftermarket auto repair, we seen a ton of these with front end problems, electrical problems, and engine problems. stay away from it. honestly, as much as id like to tell you to buy a ranger, id say dont, unless its newer with low miles, those things not taken care of can go south really quickly, but the engines will run forever.

i agree is papa, buy a toyota, not so much a nissan, but the toyota trucks are good trucks.

I had one from new, sold it at 130,000 or something. I-5, extra cab, towed misc things with it often, really overloaded it with hay often. Can't say anything bad about it. Mpg was 24-25 until I put on bigger tires.

I drove one for the last 4 years . Loved it. Bought with 45 k and sold at 94k. Nothing but tires , brakes and oil changes. I had the 3.5 i5. It pulled my 6x10 trailer w two bikes decent and never let me down. It was a 2wd ls sport. My biggest gripe is the grill removal to put. Headlight in . Broke the clips every time! Only reason I sold it was bc I wanted 4 door and 4wd. I sold mine for 7500.

Apparently mine was made on a good day because I know lots of folks who have had issues with the i5 engine.

I liked the engine in my Canyon. It did 22-23mpg at 70mph. It towed like shit. It stopped like shit. It stalled like a boss.

I can't really give a non-biased opinion. I can only offer my personal experience. If you want a little truck' date=' then buy the Toyota or the Nissan. I know you're a "Chevy guy", but they're complete shit. Especially with that kind of mileage.

Oh, and my electrical system was fucked, too. Easily, the worst purchase I've ever made....and I owned a Ford Contour, once.[/quote']

Please please please don't ask IP anything more about his Canyon/Colorado. I don't know if I can go through that story again.

:D

I would recommend looking further - $8k is a lot of money and that sounds like a shitty deal. Even if you insist on a Canyon/Colorado (which I recommend against), $8k should go a heck of a lot farther than that.

I'm biased of course, but the Frontier is a great truck - the early 2000s models are pretty bulletproof, just have a timing belt to keep track of maintaining. Stay away from supercharged without good maintenance history. Those trucks were the last VG engine in production (the first introduced in the 80s) so they had the bugs pretty well worked out. The newer ones with the 4.0l engine are absolute hosses. If I was to buy a truck with $8k, I'd track one down. If you do get one, PM me and I'll go over the modifications you need to do to make it last forever.

If I didn't have my Nissan bias, I'd be on a Tacoma like white on rice. I think they look better, I just know the Nissan inside and out.

Ive always loved the Taco's, always. My friend had one he had painted barny purple in HS by some mexi's, it was lifted with a sweet plow on it, and we just tore that thing apart. However, it never once had any issues and we didn't do any maintence to it at all.

If I was looking for a small truck that's what I'd get, I actually wanted one when I had my F150 but then got into big trailers etc. and got my 250.

I would recommend looking further - $8k is a lot of money and that sounds like a shitty deal. Even if you insist on a Canyon/Colorado (which I recommend against), $8k should go a heck of a lot farther than that.

I'm biased of course, but the Frontier is a great truck - the early 2000s models are pretty bulletproof, just have a timing belt to keep track of maintaining. Stay away from supercharged without good maintenance history. Those trucks were the last VG engine in production (the first introduced in the 80s) so they had the bugs pretty well worked out. The newer ones with the 4.0l engine are absolute hosses. If I was to buy a truck with $8k, I'd track one down. If you do get one, PM me and I'll go over the modifications you need to do to make it last forever.

If I didn't have my Nissan bias, I'd be on a Tacoma like white on rice. I think they look better, I just know the Nissan inside and out.

^ this.

I am biased also but with Tacomas. Would recommend an '06 or '07 if possible as the '05s had some rear diff issues. Anything after '07 has too many electronic nannies. Will be hard to find one for 8k though unless its a base model. '03-04 1st gens are great trucks as well so long as the undercarriage is in good order.

Madcat, I test drove a '05 Nismo and liked it. Dealer didn't want to budge on pricing, so I ended up in a Taco. With hindsight, I'm glad. Not sure which truck is "better", but the aftermarket support for the Toyotas is incredible. Bought my '06 brand new. Almost 7 years and 75k I have had zero issues. I have wheeled the truck at Wellsville, Tellico, and in the Bighorn Mountain range. All I have done to it is scheduled maintenance. Mods are only limited by imagination, and some of the newer trucks are clocking upwards of 200k with minimal problems. Can't recommend enough...great trucks.

Dont know much about the Colorado other than looked at new ones when I was truck hunting back in early '09 and bought a Tacoma since it was the best deal for the most equip.

Wasn't Granda080 selling his Isuzu "Colorado"? Same truck and his was CLEAN