Please Help!!

Kmanlyst

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buys some SeaFoam, fuel additive. Add to tank per instructions, Run motor until it gets better.

250 carbs gum up super easy.

This really is the first thing to try. It is good advice. And yes, it has to be Seafoam. Not some other over marketed hyped up stuff. Most auto stores have it.

first i'd have to look that up and second being I have no garage so I am at mercy of day light and weather.

If I were local id help ya out more, not that hard to do should be a drain screw on the bottom of the carbs, but I know what your saying if you never messed with thing like this before it can be overwhelming.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

It needs ignition, fuel, and air to run.

It's getting ignition.

It's getting air.

It's getting fuel, for a moment.

I think the fuel in the carbs is

burning off faster than it is

being provided. Something is

restricting the fuel flow.

The carbs may need cleaned

out, which the seafoam is good

for, otherwise, you may not be

getting adequate fuel to the

carbs.

Change the fuel filter too.

Will it run longer when you start it up if you let it sit for longer between each attempt to start?

For example...

Let the bike sit for 5 minutes, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 1 minute, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 2 seconds, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 10 seconds, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

What happens it you start it at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full throttle? Make sure it is not in gear and is in neutral! ;)

Will it run longer when you start it up if you let it sit for longer between each attempt to start?

For example...

Let the bike sit for 5 minutes, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 1 minute, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 2 seconds, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

Let the bike sit for 10 seconds, start it - How long does it run without throttle?

What happens it you start it at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full throttle? Make sure it is not in gear and is in neutral! ;)

Doesn't matter how long it sets symptoms still the same.

It needs ignition, fuel, and air to run.

It's getting ignition.

It's getting air.

It's getting fuel, for a moment.

I think the fuel in the carbs is

burning off faster than it is

being provided. Something is

restricting the fuel flow.

The carbs may need cleaned

out, which the seafoam is good

for, otherwise, you may not be

getting adequate fuel to the

carbs.

Change the fuel filter too.

This. You may have even gotten some bad gasoline with water in it. Drain the tank, carbs and put in some fresh gas.

Dang. It sounds like it's running on one cylinder instead of two.

Check spark plugs and ignition wiring.

Funny side story: i had that happen after replacing plugs in an old Jetta. Basically drove to the shop with one cylinder firing just to get the plugs properly gapped :cry:

Dang. It sounds like it's running on one cylinder instead of two.

Check spark plugs and ignition wiring.

Hmmm....didn't think of that. Can you pull a plug wire and attempt to start it without frying any electronics? If so, and it doesn't start, plug that one back in and pull the other one and try again. That could tell you if one side isn't firing.

Hmmm....didn't think of that. Can you pull a plug wire and attempt to start it without frying any electronics? If so, and it doesn't start, plug that one back in and pull the other one and try again. That could tell you if one side isn't firing.

yeah, that's quick. It's either same or dead, when pulling one of two to find the bad one ( or find the good one).

Okay so bike is running now after seafoam but is cutting out now at 3k. Going to do another treatment tomorrow since I am running out of daylight. As for gas I go to speedway and get premium.

That's a positive sign. Gasoline left for a while evaporates and leaves a varnish behind that needs dissolved if it gums up. Carb cleaner dissolves it but it's best if you can prevent it altogether.

I put Seafoam in my tank around Thanksgiving, and each time I fill up when I'm not riding much. Hopefully it will keep everything clean and keep the fuel stabilized.

As for gas I go to speedway and get premium
One thing I've been getting educated on recently is checking what octane rating your bike manual recommends. Some manufacturers actually recommend running lower octane than premium and running higher octane than needed can lead to increased buildup in the engine. Quick google search seems to indicate you should run 87 octane, so running premium fuel may actually be impairing your performance, as 93 octane is harder to burn than 87. Edited by smashweights

One thing I've been getting educated on recently is checking what octane rating your bike manual recommends. Some manufacturers actually recommend running lower octane than premium and running higher octane than needed can lead to increased buildup in the engine.

Ethanol is you bikes worst enemy, i know very few stations carry it(if any) but if you can get 100% gasoline w/o ethanol your bike will love you, and you will love it even more. Ethanol attracts moisture and condensation and that ='s bad.