What I did this weekend - 2013 Ducati Hyper and Multi...

Moto-Brian

So, we had our dealer training on the new 2013 Ducati Multistradas and the new Ducati Hypermotards.

We rode the Hyperstrada and Hypermotard SP in the Hyper Families and the Multistrada GT, S Touring and Standards.

The big thing in these rides is that we break groups into 14 riders each group. The group is only as fast as the slowest guy and can be somewhat boring at times. However, when you see the pics, the scenery is amazing and definitely had it's amazing moments.

We were in Palm Springs, CA and rode 74 or the Palm to Pines Scenic Byway. If you use Google earth, you can see the twists and turns. Nothing like you even remotely see out this way. Pure canyon style roads with rock walls right up to the apex of the turns, etc. Guard rails that if hit, would drop you hundreds of feet off a cliff.

It was amazing.

We rode in the groups and participated with the dealers and allowed the control riders to dictate the speed and everything. But, at the end of the two days we rode, we got some time (2-3 of us) together and got to really ride these bikes and see what they were about.

I will start with the Multis. Some of you own this model bike and know what it is capable of and what it does as a motorcycle. This is a very agile and light feeling multi use motorcycle. We actually target 4 aspects of riding that the Multi can handle and we tried to show all 4 off.

I came away just loving the Multi even more. We had some spirited rides up and down on the bike and after riding all three, I got to say that I like both the Standard and the S Touring for two different reasons.

I am a guy that wants to run off road. More on that later. But, the Multi is a capable bike of doing a lot more than what the control riders took us on. I think a lot of the guys are out of their elements in riding in sand and off road. The control riders were a bit out of their element also by their body language on the bike as well so, it probably made sense. But, it was sinply a packed dirt road with loose sand and a few erosion cracks sprinkled around. Not much to test.

But, going in, prior to the Multi ride, we had been out the night before on a full blown dirt road with loads of loose sand/dirt on the Hypers and I decided to run Sport as it was the best choice on the Hyper. I didn't want to try Enduro.

So, I started out on Sport and the thing just was hitting the DTC so often that it was annoying. No wheel spin and zip on rear end slides, etc. So, I tried Enduro mode and it is honestly the best setting. It allows rear wheel spin and allows the bike to be used in a dirt setting with more tolerance to riding it with the rear out and a bit of slipping, etc. Still loaded the DTC to the point it was bonking it while WOT, but it was a slow ride like I mentioned. I would drop back and try and arch a slide in and out of a turn, but ran out of room a lot of times. But, it was great.

The thing where I decided to choose both bikes - The S Touring and GT have the new Skyhook. Google the technology, but it is really bad ass. But, the Standard does not and has traditional suspension front and rear.

I REALLY liked the Standard on the dirt. I really did. I had better feel in what I was riding. I wish we could have gone back on our own and ride it again and test the differences in totality, but from the amount of limited riding on loose dirt, the Skyhook just didn't have that feel I look for. But, other dealers were saying they liked the Skyhook better. Could be riding style and expectations...

But, in the twisties, I liked the Skyhook more so. There were a ton of tar snakes and ripples that gave the feel similar to a chatter at speed. That chatter was reduced and made the ride better at speed. The Standard I rode also had a vague feel from the tires which were the same I ran on the Sport on the same road. Might have had lower air pressure also, but the feel on the front was not as confident at speed as the Skyhook.

But, all in all, the Multi is a heart breaker. You can ride that thing like a damn sportbike, but be as comfortable as a tourer on the open road. SHIT pile of torque and power and had me smiling as I really dig this model. I was very happy to see the feeling hadn't changed.

A few shots of our Multi ride. At the dirt stop and in between rides on the dirt on both Skyhook and Standard:

Multi2_zps35bf9bbe.jpg

The Matte Chrome. I really think the design changes are a little better, but makes the bike still recognizable to the fan base:

Multi1_zpsc723122d.jpg

Now the Hyper family...

The Hyper has always been that bad boy, hooligan style machine. Had a shit sized tank and was as comfortable as shaving with a pair of scissors.

But, the changes are great for 2013. Bigger tank, better ergos, more comfortable seats, a touring model and a new motor.

The motors are going to be needing to be better understood. It is a rev happy motor. It loves the revs and rewards the rider easily. You will still have a shit eatin grin on your face after riding these bikes. Strada even.

You keep the revs up and you can cross up wheelie out of a turn easily. You have to watch the acceleration in Sport mode or you are going to get a lot of attention being on the rear wheel...

We rode the Hyperstrada and the SP. The Hyperstrada is really amazing. A better height seat, comfortable and all the joy of the Hypermotard you'd expect. A little softer in the suspension, but overall, we were getting it done on them and no issues.

The SP, however... What can I say? This thing is AWESOME!!!!! Oh my God... We rode these up and back in the group and had a great time. No offroad as Ducati wants to be clear that the Hyper family is not a dual sport targeted machine. It can be, but the focus is not placed on that aspect. This is a paved surface targeted machine.

We sorta hurt that focus...Let me just say that we DO NOT advocate the terrain we rode, but I have some experience in Supermoto as well as a large amount of off road experience and especially on bikes like the Adventure, SMT, Enduro R, SMC, etc...

We found a great road the first day that was two cars wide up and back. Loose dirt/sand and a bit of a berm on each turn. Ran up the hill in Wet mode to check it out not really knowing what to expect. I decided after banging the DTC every second, I put it in Sport mode for the remainder of the run up the hill. On the way down after knowing the layout to a degree and conditions, I went to the Race mode. Let me just say that it is as capable as ever and did a bang up job at a solid rate. I wasn't putting up or back the road. I think I was running 55-60 at times and not sure in the turns, but I used the berm a few times! :D

The bike was killer!!!

The ride up 74 was awesome as you can imagine. The two of us had a great run up and back. The bike is a blast as you would expect and just screams to be ridden at speed. The Diablo Corses were awesome and did great.

The second day, we found a dirt road that was pure off road and meant for aggressive off road riding and not for inexperienced riders. You could probably putt up and back, but even at that, at a slower speed, I think it would have been tougher. Stand up, butt back over the rear wheel and the bike would even wheelie when needed to loop up over rocks and cracks, ruts, etc. A little slower up the mountain, but blitzed back down. It was freakin awesome.

Some pics:

The Hyper SP. This is post dirt ride...

Hyper7_zps982e0a96.jpg

74 and where we were was about the halfway point up. About 3000 feet difference bottom to top.

Roadloop_zpse24f85cd.jpg

Yes, Virginia... The Hyper can run offroad... Even if Ducati doesn't say it can. :D

Hyper3_zps78cc273d.jpg

Hyper6_zpsf99c489f.jpg

A close up of the terrain we ran. Again, in and around 55 plus...

Hyper2_zpsf862546c.jpg

Hyperroad_zpsa9256f4a.jpg

The three of us at about midway up the hill. Who's bike has the most dirt on the rear rim? Hmmmmmm...:D

Hyper1_zps542631f3.jpg

Overall, a great couple of days. The weather was about 85-90 at the base and about 10 degrees cooler at the top. Great road and although not my cup of tea as the road is winding and has slow moving cars, bicyclists towards the bottom half and BLIND walls of rock, etc... It was great and an amazing experience.

While it all looks like fun and games, the job is rather intensive and a lot more work than I think people realize. We travel a LOT and we do a LOT of managing and work. While not physical like a factory job or something physically dangerous like firefighters, etc., it is not as easy as it looks on the surface...

That being said, we do get a lot of really great perks like this and it makes us understand why it is really cool to have the jobs we have. The hard work pays off, essentially...