Novice Track Gear Selection

ludwb675

I'm going to start doing some track days this year. Below is my list of gear. Just wanted to get some input on what i have selected. Any good or bad experiences that you might have had. Thanks.

Alpinestar Carver 2-piece track suit

Alpinestar Track Protection Vest

Cortech Latigo Boots

Teknic Violator Gloves

I'm going to start doing some track days this year. Below is my list of gear. Just wanted to get some input on what i have selected. Any good or bad experiences that you might have had. Thanks.

Alpinestar Carver 2-piece track suit

Alpinestar Track Protection Vest

Cortech Latigo Boots

Teknic Violator Gloves

What helmet did you go with?

Gear so far looks good. I'm guessing your reasoning for the 2 piece suit is so you can use the jacket for street riding as well. Not a bad idea but I would really suggest getting a 1 piece if you plan on doing more than a couple trackdays. And trust me, once you do one, you're gonna wanna do more.

Gear so far looks good. I'm guessing your reasoning for the 2 piece suit is so you can use the jacket for street riding as well. Not a bad idea but I would really suggest getting a 1 piece if you plan on doing more than a couple trackdays. And trust me, once you do one, you're gonna wanna do more.

What is the main difference you see as to why he should get a 1 piece? I was also going to the 2 piece route. Thanks for your advice I was also thinking about track days but have never done any.

1pc doesn't zip around the waist, more zippers = more shit to fail in a crash.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Just going to have to save up and get a track bike next year. Then I can get my 1 piece suit.

What do you think of the shoei x-12 helmet for the track?

Edited by Mr Anderson

Yea. I want the jacket for street. And to be able to take it off during street riding when i stop wearing the full suit.

I have a scorpion Exo 500 helmet.

http://goo.gl/J0Zlw

I agree with you and nice helmet. Are you buying a track bike or converting yours to the track?

Highly HIGHLY recommend that you mix with water wetter and not just run plain distilled water. And while its not required for novice, I recommend you do it anyway. Not only will it keep your bike cooler, it will also clean up nice and not slick up the track if the worst does happen and you crash. Again, its not required for novice, but I really highly recommend it.

Highly HIGHLY recommend that you mix with water wetter and not just run plain distilled water. And while its not required for novice, I recommend you do it anyway. Not only will it keep your bike cooler, it will also clean up nice and not slick up the track if the worst does happen and you crash. Again, its not required for novice, but I really highly recommend it.

Yup, just to repeat what he already said, it is a good idea to do it. Not only in case you crash, but for other reasons like...your bike overheats and coolant is pouring out the overflow. Or like what happened to me, a rock or something kicks up and puts a hole in your radiator, and coolant is pouring out on the track for several laps until you realize it.

engine ice isn't really any better than regular coolant because it's still glycol based and apparently, that stuff is hard to clean off track. anything that is an equivalent to water wetter (I think maxima and some other racing related fluids mfgs make an equivalent) would probably be allowed. water wetter is the most ubiquitous and probably cheapest, so i never saw reason to find anything else. engine ice is comparatively expensive... the only nice thing is that it has a lower freezing point, which is the big downside to water wetter+distilled water

Yep, what they said, I actually even had Ice in my RC51, but use WW for the race bike. Flushed it early last year, then at the end after my radiator tried to kill Craig after failing at killing me. Haha, I win beetch.

And what the other guys said about 1 pcs vs 2 pcs. I did use a 2pc for the first 3 days I did in N, and did wreck in it, and was fine. Spending a ton of cash on a helmet is nice and all, but if you do wreck, chances are that helmet is toast. For Novice I'd get a good closeout that is less than 5 years old(some discrepency if this is just for racing or both), if you are running with Moto Series, something that if you wreck in it, you won't crap over buying a new one.

Oh, and if you do ride with Moto Series, make sure you post up in the event planning threads we start in the track day section. That way we know you are coming, can help setup, possibly ride share, etc. and then gang bang you.

I mean uh, find you and introduce ourselves, then gang bang you.

I'll use water wetter then. Don't want to cause any troubles if i go down. Just need to remember to flush it out at end of season.

I plan on going to the first motoseries on Saturday. Dependent on the weather though. I'll post up in the event thread. I'll need all the help i can get. You won't miss me though, i'm sure i'll be the only toaster pulling a bike.

I'm picking up a HF trailer this weekend.

Ordering all my gear next week.

Ordered some pitbull stands and trailer mount yesterday.

And changed all the passwords to our bank accounts so my wife can't see what i've spent.

I'll use water wetter then. Don't want to cause any troubles if i go down. Just need to remember to flush it out at end of season.

I plan on going to the first motoseries on Saturday. Dependent on the weather though. I'll post up in the event thread. I'll need all the help i can get. You won't miss me though, i'm sure i'll be the only toaster pulling a bike.

And changed all the passwords to our bank accounts so my wife can't see what i've spent.

Cool glad to hear you'll be out. Get there early Saturday and stop over with your bike. I can help you make a couple quick suspension changes on your bike that will make it a lot more stable mid-corner.

I got used to the "twitchiness" of my 07 and kind of learned to ride around it, but when I finally made the changes it was a huge help.

Also if you find yourself needing any tools specific to the 675, I should have pretty much anything you'd need there with me. Don't worry about all of that stuff for your first time. Just focus on bringing you, the bike, your gear, and plenty of fluids. Oh, and don't forget the keys!

:D:cool: