Looking to break into the motorcycle scene. Is a 600cc too much?

TMonhollen

So, your boss sold you a non-working bike. Hm. Nice guy, eh?

Congrats on taking the course though. My friend recently bought a 250, and plans to take the course soon. I told her I'd go with, if there were two openings. I need a refresher. Slightly doubtful though.

Dont get to confident yet there bud, you have only had the thing for a day... best thing you can do is tell yourself for the next year that you are a new rider. Even though it is a Kawi and they dont have near the power that Yamaha's do :D it can/will bite you if you are not paying attention. Congrats on the new to you ride and keep the rubber side down!

I'm a little late here, but I figure my advice is pertinent.

I started riding two years ago on a 600..... 97 ZX6r actually. I skipped the 250 because I'm a mature adult that can make rational judgements on speed etc. I also rode a dirt bike a lot as a kid and BMX, which I think both have some level of similarities....less bmx than dirt bike.

I probably ride faster than I should for my limited experience. But in the first 2 years I'd say I've ridden 17k miles. I also am a student of motorcycle riding. I read Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2, and learned proper control techniques. (Highly recommended).

I did not take the MSF course. But I passed the test the first time. I rode a ton on my beginners permit during daylight hours.

I took a completely different route than what I see recommended. I'm sure many would say I did it the wrong way and I may still be doing it the wrong way. I think it really comes down to the individual. Something each potential new rider needs to think about is whether or not they are a fit individual with good coordination and reflexes. If you aren't, grab. 250xc bike and start there. I think a lot of beginners think its just "riding" a bike......when really it is "controlling and maneuvering" a bike adeptly and with precision.

I think people get into trouble when they first start for one of two reasons:

1) poor judgement (ie going too fast for what you're capable of handling)

-this is most often demonstrated by a young guy getting a 600cc or bigger bike and going to fast for what they can handle

2) inability to control a motorcycle

-this can occur for any motorcyclist, but more often than not occurs with the inexperienced. The more agile, coordinated, and better reflexes one has the better off they'll be in this department. But even the most uncoordinated person can ride if they take time and learn.

Be honest with yourself. If you're under 24 and/ or are uncoordinated and clumsy, start with a 250cc. If you're older and a fairly capable guy....you'll probably be ok starting with a 600cc bike. Just know your limits and don't push them.

*when I saw the thread was 11 pages long, I figured I'd be offering advice too late. Maybe someone else can use it though. The immortality of the Internet.....gotta love it*