Looking to break into the motorcycle scene. Is a 600cc too much?

TMonhollen

Hey guys, looking to purchase my first motorcycle.

I've been shopping around for a couple weeks, trying to figure out what would best suit me, and what I would enjoy riding the most.

Normally, I would probably try to go for a 250cc, but my boss offered to sell me his 600. He saw me looking at some motorcycle ads on craigslist, and he had mentioned that he was looking to sell his 2001 Kawasaki Ninja zx600-e. It's a little bit scratched up, but mechanically it's apparently pretty sound. Has 13k miles. He offered it to me for $1800, I checked KBB and the selling value was $2400. So it seems like a pretty good deal.

Anyways, I don't really see the point in starting on a 250cc, to trade it in next year for a 600cc. That is, if it's feasible to even start on a 600. I'm not looking to impress anyone, and you won't see me going down the highway at 140mph.

I've never been on a motorcycle before, but I do know how to drive stick shift, if that's relevant.

If I drive responsibly and maturely, is a 600cc too much for a beginner?

Thanks for any input guys!

Hey, you decided to join, welcome buddy!

And my advise was either a newer 250('00-'07) or an older 500/600(older than 2002 and carb'ed) as a beginner bike, what would you guys say?

Edited by JStump
  • Upvote 1

If you stay off the throttle for most of the first year, it can be done.

And I mean limit strictly to part throttle.

Just don't crack that throttle wide open till you've got some good basic experience.

And take the MSF motorcycle rider course. Do a walk in, since they are probably all booked for the Summer already. A couple of people usually don't show, and it's whoever showed up first to do a walk-in.

Any cheap bike is a good starter, it will fall, get beat up, and take abuse.

edit: There are compelling reasons to start on a 250cc, it's more forgiving of mistakes.

In many European countries, the new riders have to start on a 250cc for a year, by license.

Edited by ReconRat

As long as you're not an idiot you should be ok. The bike is only going to go as fast as you ride it. The two biggest dangers in starting out with a fast bike are that you'll either hurt yourself or scare yourself. Both have caused new riders to give up the sport.

If you stay off the throttle for most of the first year, it can be done.

And I mean limit strictly to part throttle.

Just don't crack that throttle wide open till you've got some good basic experience.

And take the MSF motorcycle rider course. Do a walk in, since they are probably all booked for the Summer already. A couple of people usually don't show, and it's whoever showed up first to do a walk-in.

Any cheap bike is a good starter, it will fall, get beat up, and take abuse.

edit: There are compelling reasons to start on a 250cc, it's more forgiving of mistakes.

In many European countries, the new riders have to start on a 250cc for a year, by license.

What he said. It is your option to go with what you want, if you think you can control yourself then go for it. But once you get a taste, and you will want taste of speed, once you get a taste, youll want more, unless you shit yourself. Do what you want, but take the MSF course before you do any serious riding. Also dont bust your budget on your bike and not have the cash for decent gear. Get a decent helmet, do your homework. Leather is best above everything else so its up to you to decide what your willing to go with. ATGATT is what most ride by, dont be a squid and ride with tennis shoes, tshirt, shorts, and sunglasses. If your curious, just youtube "what is a squid"

Jstump has been helping me out a lot with what kind of stuff to expect as far as prices go. He also mentioned ATGATT.

My boss said he would throw in the helmet with the bike. I'm not sure what brand it is. He just said it was a full helmet, with two different visors.

I definitely will not be skimping on gear. Especially considering its the only thing between you, and the pavement.

It's a good deal, but be careful.

With a good tune, that bike should put 90+ hp to the wheel. Strong acceleration is just one additional way for new riders to make a mistake. You can be the most responsible person in the world and still make a mistake by accidentally grabbing too much throttle due to inexperience.

Truly "learning" on a 600 is a bad idea IMHO. Even the MSF course prior would help a LOT.

Definitely! I think I'm going to go take the temps test this week. I'm scheduled to buy the bike in about two weeks. Goes into the shop on the 15th just to make sure everything is running smoothly, as he hasn't taken it out this season yet.

I might ride it in a parking lot for a couple days, just to get acclimated to it, but I will not go anywhere outside of that or my neighborhood until I take the MSF course and feel comfortable with my knowledge/skill base.

Welcome... I have a 91 CBR 600 and its not near as powerful as what the new ones are BUT keep in mind it will still do 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Ride it easy and youll be fine but i started with a GS550 for a season. Underpowered and easy to control...... Guess im sayn to go with a 250 or such

I'm not against a 250 by any means, just have to find a good deal on one I guess. Unfortunately there's a huge unknown factor when buying from craiglist. My boss is a pretty good guy, and I know he wouldn't screw me over just to make some extra cash.

I'll keep an eye out for a 250 in the mean time!

A 250 is great because you really can learn all the little things. The smaller motor really makes you learn shifting and cornering properly because you can't just power out of a mistake as easily. But at the same time, if you grab a bunch of throttle, it won't kill you.

A 600 can be a good starter bike, but it requires you to limit the bike significantly, which curbs your learning. The 600 you're talking about is at least not a super sport, so that is a little bit better. The price is really hard to say no to though.

Don't be an idiot and you'll be okay.

I started on my ZX6R (636 cc) and have progressed to the point of being able to keep up with the faster groups within about 2 years.

Now I'm kind of planning on buying a cheap 250 to screw around on.

Don't be an idiot and you'll be okay.

You can't guarantee that. I'm not saying a 250 is a zero-risk proposition either, but enough power to pull up the front wheel or spin the rear by accident add two additional ways for a new rider to make a mistake that simply would not be possibilities on a lower powered bike.

Of course many people have learned on 600 or 1000 cc bikes without incident. People have also probably learned to shoot on a S&W 500. That doesn't make it the most productive or ideal method.

I do think that knowing how to drive a manual transmission car helps a lot. I say buy the 600, because it's a good deal, but don't throw a leg over it until after the MSF course. Even then, it will be 5 times as powerful as anything they have you learning on.

Hell, it's a carbureted bike... I can't believe no one has machined a "beginner kit" that pops into the throttle slide assembly and basically cuts the throttle turn in half by physically blocking the needle travel. A 7,000 rpm redline is plenty for learning purposes on a 600... I have to think it would be a simple temporary mod that would really save a lot of new riders' asses.