Looking to break into the motorcycle scene. Is a 600cc too much?

TMonhollen

Aside from saying welcome aboard I can simply underwrite what others have said. While I learned the basic mechanics of operating a bike on an old LTD 550, my first bike was a brand new FZR 600. Never hurt myself or the bike, but there were some coming to Jesus moments that certainly increased my respect even above what I was preconditioned to. There is nothing wrong with a strong case of humilty while you work to improve your skills. Take the MSF course, period. Like Recon said some places my be booked, but find a place and go. Will be one of the best moves on a bike you'll make.

And I agree with getting a new lid. Your boss' gesture is noble, but brain buckets are like DNA. Should be part of you. Buy the best you can afford and then some. As far as other gear, not sure what size you are, but I have a textile jacket and some other misc stuff laying around. You are welcome to whatever fits.

Welcome to OR!

NEW *PROPERLY SIZED* helmet, which should require effort to put on/take off (not just fall on, or off!) and decent jacket, at least.

MSF for sure! 600 will work till you scare the bijesus out of yourself! Hopefully you will survive!

Have you talked to your INSURANCE agent about the 600?? You may be in for a big surprise there!

If you ever think a 250 is not enough of a bike to learn on, watch some http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDct52Km6L8! Yea, I know there aint no 250 Ninjas running around out there, but it really gives you an idea of what a 250 is capable of!

Fast guy on 250 whoops squid on 600/1000 in the twisties!!

Edited by sirepair

If I recall, I believe he said he only used it once or twice. But I'll look into getting a new one as soon as possible!

This is going to be the longest week or two ever haha, I'm so excited to start riding.

RVTPilot- I'm 6'0 and about 165lbs. I actually grew up in Ridgeville, I just moved out to Berea a few months ago.

I appreciate the warm welcome, guys :D

Welcome to OR!

NEW *PROPERLY SIZED* helmet, which should require effort to put on/take off (not just fall on, or off!) and decent jacket, at least.

MSF for sure! 600 will work till you scare the bijesus out of yourself! Hopefully you will survive!

Have you talked to your INSURANCE agent about the 600?? You may be in for a big surprise there!

If you ever think a 250 is not enough of a bike to learn on, watch some Moto3 GP races! Yea, I know there aint no 250 Ninjas running around out there, but it really gives you an idea of what a 250 is capable of!

Fast guy on 250 whoops squid on 600/1000 in the twisties!!

That video is insane haha. I would be terrified.

As I mentioned before, I'm not certainly against a 250 by any means. I just have a really nice deal available for the 600. I will keep my eyes open though!

As for the insurance, I did call Progressive yesterday. I already have auto insurance through them, so I figured I'd call them first. Turns out there's a multi policy discount if you have at least two policies with them.

It ended up being $80 for the entire year, just for liability, or like $70 a month for full coverage. Something like that.

I'm on the fence on what kind of insurance I want to get, as well.

As for the insurance, I did call Progressive yesterday. I already have auto insurance through them, so I figured I'd call them first. Turns out there's a multi policy discount if you have at least two policies with them.

It ended up being $80 for the entire year, just for liability, or like $70 a month for full coverage. Something like that.

I'm on the fence on what kind of insurance I want to get, as well.

My $.02, get the full coverage. As a biker, you need to insure yourself against those that don't. i.e. If you get hit by a cager not carrying anything - and it happens - then you could be effed. If $70 is a tough nut to crack, do the best you can by yourself. Until I had nothing more than a track bike, I carried full coverage on all my bikes.

Is a 600 for a newb on a bike too much - no. Is it too much for a newbie on a sportbike, IMO yes. If you had some experience at least on dirt bikes I would be inclined to say you'd be good to go as long as you took it easy as others have mentioned. 600cc sportbikes are just as serious as a 1000cc machine.

I rode dirt bikes for a lot of years and my first road bike was a CBR600F4 and I was in my mid to late 20's at the time. The maturity helped me from ending up as road pizza.

I started out on, and still have, a 2004 R6. Had a good amount of time on quads previously, but nothing on two wheels without pedals. I've put about 8,000 miles on it in two years without incident so far. I've taken my MSF and started doing track days last year. I would say the track day improved my riding far more than the MSF did so that might be something to think about.

Buy a new helmet, try allot on and buy the one that

fits you the best.

Many DOT helmets won't pass if tested. Get a Snell

approved helmet. They are tested. Fitting you best

means, good and snug. It loosens with wear and

get's more comfortable.

A 250 is great because you really can learn all the

little things. The smaller motor really makes you

learn shifting and cornering properly because you

can't just power out of a mistake as easily. But

at the same time, if you grab a bunch of throttle,

it won't kill you.

A 600 can be a good starter bike, but it requires

you to limit the bike significantly...

The price is really hard to say no to...

And just as the price is a strong temptation, the

throttle will be even more tempting when you start

getting comfortable before you have developed

skills to handle how you are eager

to ride.

Most of us are not able to resist the temptation

of speed when it is just a

little twist when no one is around.

My first bike was a 600...cbr f3. I never owned a bike before this but would ride friends' dirt bikes so I knew how to shift :)

I'd just buy your boss's bike and go easy on the throttle...a fast bike is only fast when you make it fast - it doesn't go by itself. you'll be fine.

As far as the MSF goes, I just checked the schedule, they're booked until June. Hoping I can get walk-in to a vacancy.

Im taking mine in June you can come join me lol. I have not taken mine in 4 years and Im still here and no accidents or wrecks. Just been using temps for a long time. I started out on a 09 ninja 250r and now that I moved up to the 600cc its so fun. A huge jump and I suggest you stick with a 250 for a year. They have high re-sale value and are very great on the twisties. Keep it for a year and then sell it and get your 600cc. Alsoe get a brand new helmet and all the riding gear. Your life is more important than your ride. Oh and Welcome to OR!

Welcome. Glad to hear you're taking the msf course. You should do fine on a non-supersport 600 as long as you take it easy for a while. After you take the course, you will be ready to learn. Good luck on the walk in. They usually have a few no shows so you should get in. See you on the road.

Welcome. Glad to hear you're taking the msf course. You should do fine on a non-supersport 600 as long as you take it easy for a while. After you take the course, you will be ready to learn. Good luck on the walk in. They usually have a few no shows so you should get in. See you on the road.

Might sound like a dumb question.. But is the 01 kawasaki ninja zx6r a supersport? or no. I can't seem to find a straight answer lol.

I will be checking every week on the walk in availability. I don't want to wait until June lol.

I wonder, should I call now to register for June, and then cancel the registration if I get into a walk in class?

I'm sure I'll see you around. I grew up in North Ridgeville, recently moved to Berea.

It has 109HP... Yes it is Supersport... Here is a review for that body style.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Kawasaki/Kawasaki-ZX-6R-J-2000-2002/

I'd say get something a little less powerful but that's just my opinion. I had a Katana 750 (1991) and while it only had 70ish hp, it was more then I needed as a new rider. I now have an 07 GSXR 600 and that's enough for me... For now ;) Be safe and control that throttle!!!

HP is a tricky thing. When you're a newbie' date=' it can be catastrophic. When you're a seasoned rider, it becomes fairly insignificant. My bike makes less than 100hp, at the crank. It's the fastest bike I've owned. That list includes a GSX-R600 and a TL1000.

A cool head will be able to ride that little Ninja just fine. However, don't become complacent. They can bite.[/quote']

Definitely, complacency can kill. I'm really hoping with the right precautions, and proper mindset I'll be okay to handle it. So long as I don't get overzealous in learning, or overconfident once I think I'm comfortable.

Might sound like a dumb question.. But is the 01 kawasaki ninja zx6r a supersport? or no. I can't seem to find a straight answer lol.

I will be checking every week on the walk in availability. I don't want to wait until June lol.

I wonder, should I call now to register for June, and then cancel the registration if I get into a walk in class?

I'm sure I'll see you around. I grew up in North Ridgeville, recently moved to Berea.

If you want to guarantee your spot in class then pay for it ahead of time, and you can get it over with for sure. If you wanna take a chance and be a walk in, then by all means walk in. I wanted to make sure I would get my spot.

Edited by Gunner75

If you want to guarentte your spot in class then pay for it ahead of time, and you can get it over with for sure. If you wanna take a chance and be a walk in, then by all means walk in. I wanted to make sure I would get my spot.

Yes get that spot for the msf. Im going on June 20 6pm-10pm, 22 7:30 to something and 23 same time. Im with with Matt and mike but taking my test on Tuesday. Come join us at west broad street one in Columbus.