Looking to break into the motorcycle scene. Is a 600cc too much?

TMonhollen

omfg forget it...thank you for the education as I wasn't referring to interplanetary rockets. ICBM a Intercontinental Ballistic Missile designed for long range over land using vs a standard militarized rocket used by forces such as the Palestinians to rain down rocket fire onto Israel.

It doesn't matter for me to even try anymore the point is mute now

Edited by Gunner75

I know a young guy who tried to start out on a GSXR 750, which he wadded up in a ditch the first day. Luckily he only got a concussion and cuts & bruises but it ended his desire to ride. Yeah a 600 could concievably work for you, but I'm thinking more like a 500 would be better to be a newbie on.

I started out on a carb'd 600 and I am still here to tell the tale. I can't say whether or not I would be a better rider if I had started out on something smaller (or even dirt bikes) but I do wonder about it sometimes. I did take a lot of time to learn what I needed to do and the most common pitfalls before I even got on a bike. It was still no comparison to actually getting out there and getting experience though, that is the only real way you will get better. Even if you start out on a 250 and jump to and modern supersport you have the same possible pitfalls because they are so extremely different.

If you care enough to ask and hopefully learn as much as you can before getting out on the road by yourself (i.e. MSF before too much riding or the ilk) then you will probably be ok. I also agree with redkow97 that knowing how to drive a manual prior to riding is very advantageous. After trying to teach one person how to ride and use a MT at the same time, I have refused all further requests for teaching unless they know how to drive a stick (:bj:)

That's cool you can shop for a bike on company time..

Haha yeah. I do security work at an operation center for a bank. So its mainly just access control. When there isn't anyone at my desk, I'm free to do as I please on the internet.

Haha yeah. I do security work at an operation center for a bank. So its mainly just access control. When there isn't anyone at my desk, I'm free to do as I please on the internet.

did you make up your mind yet or are you still looking?

On the bike? Well, my boss is in Vegas right now, when he gets back, I'm scheduled to buy the bike. Have been for about a week or so.

But I've still been looking on CL for a smaller 250, just can't seem to find a good deal on one, that doesn't have really high mileage.

On the bike? Well, my boss is in Vegas right now, when he gets back, I'm scheduled to buy the bike. Have been for about a week or so.

But I've still been looking on CL for a smaller 250, just can't seem to find a good deal on one, that doesn't have really high mileage.

Yes 250's hold their value. I had mine for 4 years and only lost $900 on the trade in for my new r6. Just be careful with the 600. I was just hitting the throttle a little and its so much a big jump compared to the 250. lol hit 120mph last night but I don't suggest this.

I went to check out a 250 for $1500 like two weeks ago or so. Looked pretty good. Had some scratches, and 30k miles. I told the guy I'd be back in an hour to put down a down payment of $1000, because I was getting paid in two days.

I texted him 45 minutes later and it was gone -_-

Well, I signed up for the MSF. It isn't until June though. Really hoping I can get in as a walk in before then haha. I'll be trying every week until then. Talked to a guy at the location, he said typically there are 3-4 vacancies per class. Let's hope I have that luck!

I would really like to get some experience before getting on the 600 haha :x

Chances are very good that you will sell a <$2000 250 for exactly what you paid rather quickly. I started on a 250 and have no regrets, but I don't know that it is by any means, a requirement.

Here's a great little starter bike: LINKY

No knowledge of seller, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda....

This looks like an AWESOME bike!

Anyone in the Thornville area who wants to look at a Buell Blast to see if its worth coming out? Its like 3 hours from Cleveland but looks like a deal too good to pass up.

I'm not necessarily sold on the 600, just trying to find the best deal. That's definitely a nice ride. It's also 2 hours away. And I have no idea how many miles lol. I don't know how I would even get it here :o.

It is purty though.

I don't know how I would even get it here :o..

Know anyone w/ a trailer? Also, there is the option to get a ride there and RIDE it back... 2 hr ride would be a great opportunity to learn the bike!!! ;)