Job Etiquette

RSparky

So, many of you saw my thread in the job board. I potentially have acquired a job with a contractor here at AK. I'm going in tomorrow at 7 for the 'offer'.

But here's the deal. It's a small place. It's not a 'mechanical engineer' job, but more like a job planner, organizer kinda role. They're making this role up because they are small, and growing. They have a lot going on and poor lines of communication, coupled with ADD supervisors. Pretty much what the very nice HR lady explained to me during the interview.

Sounds kinda cool, fast paced, lots of different projects, overall exciting for a first job. But, it's not a mechanical engineer. Nor is it full time. Nor is the hourly rate as much as my co-op rate, which is lower than even an entry level engineer's pay.

It is, however, a job. And I need one of those, because tomorrow is my last day at AK. Yes, I'm going to the contractor, then to work! ;)

So, I'm going to take it. I have to, to pay rent. But, I want to keep looking. I just don't want to get a job, then jump ship soon as the grass gets greener on the other side. Especially, because it is a small business.

I guess the thought of that makes me feel like a douche. Should I? Or should I go for the 'It's all bout what's best for me' philosophy?

Thanks for any advice. I'm glad to have a giant group of folks in professional jobs I can ask questions. (cue up 'How has OR affected you' thread)

construction workers are also notoriously hard on new people. especially since you're young they will make it rough on you on purpose. and they don't like change or someone looking over their backs at their work. honestly they should of hired someone that has the work experience and age to fit in. those guys only really respect someone like them already. they will test your patience to the bitter end.

not trying to scare you or blow smoke up your ass but that is just my experience in that field. (12 years).

I hope I'm wrong for you and it turns out to be a great job.

Edited by serpentracer

You are more employable with a job. Taking this job will get you some additional experience, and it may give you contacts within the industry. Potential employers will see you as someone willing to sacrifice to be successful. Don't feel bad about taking the job and hopping when a better opportunity arises.

It's not an engineering position and its hourly paying less than your co-op. fucking pass. There's quite a few opportunities out there for new engr grads with co-op experience.make sure you checkout Craigslist ads in major cities with a high tech population (Austin tax, San Fran, LA, etc)... Employers in these types of cities utilize social media more no matter the industry.

Be mindful that jobs quickly created within a small business can also be abolished quickly should cuts need to be made somewhere. Have they been in business for some time now? Is there a full time possibility later?

You always have to look out for YOU. Don't feel douche-like if you need to jet for a better job, just do what you gotta do, especially if something comes along in your field of study

I spent years picking out the right woman to marry and took the first job that gave m an offer. I spend more time at work than I do with my wife. So my advice, do something that makes you happy, don't wake up 10 years later and say "what the fuck happened to my life".

Tell them "I am the fucking shit and if you want me pay me or give the job to some other asshole"

Edited by shittygsxr
Drunk and typing on my ipad

Always do what you think will be best for you and for your long term career goals. This includes working hard for your employer, being professional and not burning bridges, but ultimately if you need something 'temporary' while you search for something longer term, do what you feel is best for you.

When it comes down to it, an employer will not give your best interests a second thought if it benefits them.

construction workers are also notoriously hard on new people. especially since you're young they will make it rough on you on purpose. and they don't like change or someone looking over their backs at their work. honestly they should of hired someone that has the work experience and age to fit in. those guys only really respect someone like them already. they will test your patience to the bitter end.

not trying to scare you or blow smoke up your ass but that is just my experience in that field. (12 years).

I hope I'm wrong for you and it turns out to be a great job.

Agreed, and hate young (don't know your age) college grads. Especially if you are in a position that has influence or control over them. Recipe for misery. Low pay, no benefits, new position (which means they will throw the kitchen sink of workload your way) = no thanks. I would look harder and take any FT position in your field, regardless of location.

Well, as of right now, I'll settle for co op pay, over no pay. I have an interview monday for a real engineering position, so I may not even stay a month with the company. we'll see what they offer. Edit: plus, my co-op hourly pay, full time was in the entry level engineer salary range. Dem checks were good!

Edited by RSparky

So my advice, do something that makes you happy, don't wake up 10 years later and say "what the fuck happened to my life".

Hit the nail on the head with that! I'm in that boat right now with the job I have (actually it feels more like a sentence nowadays). When I started 10 year ago it was great, but that last two have been hell! Been looking to get out of this job but the market here in Cleveland sucks!

Moving not an option, but I'm in a different situation than the OP is in. My wife makes damn good bread at her job and I'm not afraid to say that she makes about 50% more than I do.

It's a dollar less. 6 months as planner to help with restructuring. Then, if they can reliably keep up with jobs, evaluation and ' possible' engineer. I don't want to wait to see them say, you've done enough, you're done. I'll keep looking while I'm there. I'm just happy to have a seamless transition, within four days of being notified I was out at the end if the week.

So, I'm going to take it. I have to, to pay rent. But, I want to keep looking. I just don't want to get a job, then jump ship soon as the grass gets greener on the other side. Especially, because it is a small business.

I guess the thought of that makes me feel like a douche. Should I? Or should I go for the 'It's all bout what's best for me' philosophy?

20 or 30 years ago people started jobs with the mindset that it could last a lifetime. Many companies were (to a degree) loyal to long term employees.

Fast forward to today...the age of buyouts, mergers acquisitions, downsizing, offshore employees, etc. People are expected to change jobs and even career paths multiple times. I am only as loyal to a company as a company would be to me. If my company could save a buck shipping my job to India, they would downsize me tomorrow.

I consider every job to be temporary and I've been with my company for 8 years.

Do what's best for you today. When a better opportunity comes...take it. Rinse. Repeat.

If you want to do hardcore engineering...dont take a management position out of the gate.

You want to establish your engineering resume now if thats the path you want or else that degree in engineering will not mean much 10 yrs down the road without any actual experience besides a co-op.

It's a dollar less. 6 months as planner to help with restructuring. Then, if they can reliably keep up with jobs, evaluation and ' possible' engineer. I don't want to wait to see them say, you've done enough, you're done. I'll keep looking while I'm there. I'm just happy to have a seamless transition, within four days of being notified I was out at the end if the week.

I only have a IT perspective on this, but coming from the small business arena, with everything you've said so far, it sounds like they might pump you full of work and hope you hold up until they can get through the backlog of jobs, all while paying you as little as you'll accept (which doesn't sound like much, apparently) for this. I agree completely that any pay > no pay, however if you don't feel like you have any advancement opportunities, if the workplace environment/culture doesn't mesh with you once you're in it, or, more importantly, you have a much better career-level job in your field, bust the fuck out of there. No one is going to look out for your interests but you, and if you abrogate that fundamental right to your employer, just *hoping* that you'll pass whatever "test" you think this job is, or measure up to whatever stick they use to hire you on as an engineer and pay you what you're actually worth, then, like shitty said, you're going to wake up in 10 years and say "what the fuck happened to my life".

Get the real engy offer in hand, then tell these other guys thanks for everything, put in a standard 2-week or whatever notice (I personally hate burning bridges, even for employers I didn't like, but chances are they'll walk you out that day) and walk the fuck out.

Part time and less than co-op pay? Appreciate the opportunity in the meantime, and they should be happy for you when you find a real job. Leaving for a better opportunity is acceptable these days.

That's the general consensus. And I agree. thanks guys. I have a "dentist appointment" (interview) monday, and might be getting another with a place closer to home, on a phone call at lunch as well.

My two cents. Employers don't like to see multiple short term job hopping on your résumé. Indicates your unstable or a duesh.

Employers don't like to know you took a job just to look for another, they feel you'll do it to them as well.

My two cents. Employers don't like to see multiple short term job hopping on your résumé. Indicates your unstable or a duesh.

Employers don't like to know you took a job just to look for another, they feel you'll do it to them as well.

another awesome double standard they have is they'll gladly lay you off so you can get unemployment and feel good about it thinking they did you a favor. but what happens is other employers see you've been laid off and they pretty much ignore your resume at that point.

I stopped telling people I was laid off and the job offers came rolling in again.

Edited by serpentracer