Remove Super Glue From Tank?

bowdog

Long story short the previous owner of my bike decided it was better to super glue the corner of the stomp grips vs. buying a new pair for $50. :nono: so queston I have is how do I remove it without removing the paint? I have a new pair that I would like to get on before the Gap trip but really dont want to just cover this up and also don't want to apply something that is going to eat my paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

• Upvote 1

good luck. The previous owner tried about 5 different products on the drop of grip glue he dropped on the paint from the handlebars and its still there to this day!

Maybe mineral spirits?

If nothing else, a grinder and some flat black will fix it right up.

Keep joking but I am coming over to your house tonight before T-ball for you to help me!! :yellowsnow:

High-molecular weight mineral oils such as kerosene. Also, believe it or not, margarine. Some hospitals know to use margarine for super glued body parts. Especially in the mouth. And yeah, acetone (nail polish remover) works also. But it's kinda toxic and hard on paint.

Edited by ReconRat

the debonder works but not when it can't reach the glue.  on the stomp grip it may not work all that well in some areas and others it might work great.  . I'm into rc cars and use it on my fingers when gluing up tires.  it takes some time sometimes but it does work.  but it will not debond a rubber tire from a plastic rim.   you should be able to find it locally at a rc hobby shop.

most hobby shops sell this brand,  http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/accel.html

acetone also works but not as fast.

Edited by serpentracer

Wouldn't acetone eat the paint?

acetone is great at removing paint actually.  but not something like car paint.  spray paint maybe.    I use it to clean stuff off plastics all the time and it doesn't seem to bother the plastic.

I would try it in a hidden spot first.

Edited by serpentracer