Brand New Driver, Texting, Causes Crash / Medflight Of Bike Cop

Scruit

http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/05/29/chp-distracted-teen-driver-causes-crash-injuring-cop/#axzz2Uk6XVQlJ

A Chula Vista police motorcycle officer taking part in a training ride on a rural East County road Wednesday afternoon was seriously injured in a three-vehicle accident possibly caused by a newly licensed teenage driver distracted by text-messaging, the Highway Patrol reported.

ramonamotorcyclecrash.jpg?w=300&h=166The teen was heading east on State Route 78 in Ramona about 2:30 p.m. when the 2011 Ford Fusion sedan she was driving rear-ended a 2006 Chevrolet HHR whose 61-year-old driver had stopped to make a left turn onto Earlham Street, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Read more: http://fox5sandiego.com/2013/05/29/chp-distracted-teen-driver-causes-crash-injuring-cop/#ixzz2Uk7N6Twg

I vote that anyone who causes an accident by distracted driving that hurts a biker should have their driver's license suspended until the biker recovers back to 100%

Edited by Scruit

A Chula Vista police motorcycle officer taking part in a training ride on a rural East County road Wednesday afternoon was seriously injured in a three-vehicle accident possibly caused by a newly licensed teenage driver distracted by text-messaging, the Highway Patrol reported.

In this situation and the information provided, I see a few things that need addressing before we lay all the blame on the girl.

1. Training ride. How do we know that the officer was not partly at fault? Too much speed, target fixation, etc. (Unlikely, but it can happen)

2. "Possibly" as the cause is not a strong statement. More of a we want to make news statement.

3. The information was delivered by the offended party. There could always be bias there. I'd like to see it verified by another source.

I do wholly agree that if a driver causes an accident, injury or not, they deserve to have a more stringient punishment imposed. I however say the extra punishment should be to ban them from using a cell phone, not their license. That would be way more severe, especially to someone that uses it while driving.

Edited by BDBGoalie

The answer to tragedy is not the removal of liberty... but, a little public whipping and torturing never hurt anyone.

This. If the punishments were severe enough it'd help deter more people from doing so but ultimately you'll never stop everyone.

• Upvote 1

Why with all the technology we have these days make it so that the phone HAS to be hooked up to the car via bluetooth and if connected, the phone will not receive and send texts?  I know very few kids these days that do not have a phone that isn't bluetooth.  In most states it is becoming more and more a deal where you cannot use a phone unless handsfree and more and more cars have bluetooth.  For the people with older cars, they need to buy a bluetooth system that interacts with the car radio, etc.

All available and at this stage, cheap.  The phone companies need to start making it so that when the phone is connected to a car, the texts stop until the car is in park.  Apple needs to take charge as everything they do, everyone else follows.  Or, the Samsung team needs to take the front and push the campaign...

• Upvote 1

I went on a facebook rage two years ago about texting- all those whiners about guns, and drugs, cigarettes and booze, when texting is making more young folks assume room temp, along with the collateral stupid damage than all the rest of the stuff. 

All I got, was accusations of being an extremist...

Maybe a nationwide copycat serial killer taking out folks while they drove and texted? Probably only have to shoot...what, maybe 40-50 before no one would tex....ok...got to be a better way. 

around 1/4 of all accidents involve a phone when interviewed after accident- I bet thats like asking if someone jerks off or cheats on taxes however.

almost 80% of young adults surveyed say THEY can "safely text while driving" (its others that cant) unfuckingbeleevable

more than half surveyed say its "easy to text while driving" the "trick is not to do long texts"

yeah...as to rigging a car...nice idea, but not sure how to implement...I see kids in the 6th grade with texting phones...its entrenched  cultural by the time they're 16

edit: yes, apple probably has the minions following to figure out someway to make the phone stop texting. appleheads are like sheep LOL, they will do, as they are told! Brilliant! 

Edited by Medina

The answer to tragedy is not the removal of liberty... but, a little public whipping and torturing never hurt anyone.

TOOOOOOO many times people resort to this sort of thinking when something tragic happens. I don't think increasing penalties is a great idea either. Increasing penalties should only be considered when people are acting with intent of being malicious. I'm assuming the teenager didn't intend to run over a police officer on a motorbike and use texting as a cover. It was an accident preceeded by a poor decision, but still an accident nevertheless.  Hopefully the police officer fully recovers, not only for him, but for the sanity of the teenager.

Ban them from using a cell phone impossible til they make it mandatory invention where in order for car to run the phone must be docked and locked in some sort of case attached to the ignition.

Creating a device that requires a cell phone to be plugged in for the car to work wouldn't work because that would force everyone to require a cell phone. Does this mean if you didn't have a cell phone you couldn't use a car? What if you're financially struggling and you're unable to afford a cellphone, does this mean you can't drive your car?

I say ban her from ever having a license all together. Its already been established that driving is a privilege not a right. And she's already shown a wanten disregard for the law of texting while driving. In this case it has caused a leo to damn near lose his life.

yes I'm posting this from my GS3

TOOOOOOO many times people resort to this sort of thinking when something tragic happens. I don't think increasing penalties is a great idea either. Increasing penalties should only be considered when people are acting with intent of being malicious. I'm assuming the teenager didn't intend to run over a police officer on a motorbike and use texting as a cover. It was an accident preceeded by a poor decision, but still an accident nevertheless.  Hopefully the police officer fully recovers, not only for him, but for the sanity of the teenager.

Of course nobody is perfect, but the teen knew that textin while driving is illegal and puts others at risk (that's why kids under a certain age don't get to drive). for me, the key is that the damage was done. How would you even prove malicious intent? I'll ram you off the road with the most hellish grin on my face... but it was an accident, "I was just looking for something I dropped and he came out of NOWHERE" so charge me with just the improper lane change and let my insurance take care of your bike and medical and ill get a $150 ticket. Meanwhile, you've got a broken back and you'll never work or have sex ever again. Think this doesn't happen now?

I'm assuming the teenager didn't intend to run over a police officer on a motorbike and use texting as a cover. It was an accident preceeded by a poor decision, but still an accident nevertheless

Negligence is just that. whether you just got your licence or driving for 40 years.

No one likely intends to fuck up on an epic level.

Somewhere, somehow, someone failed to impress on that kid the seriousness of it all.

Hard to feel sorrow for a kid who has been driving for two days, the drunk who figured on making it home, the 80 year old who really should have stopped driving when Carter was president...Negligence. 

There is no way, no how, that kid didn't know texting was wrong (forget legal, PSA's and schools preach about it)

as to not increasing the penalties....in the late 70s I got pulled over, drunk, and had a bag in my glove box...cop asked how far I had to go. poured the weed out on the pavement and sent me on my way. 

I was hammered. Drunk driving wasn't really looked on socially as being so evil. NOW? think how many lives would have been saved/money etc etc if the level was .08 back in 1970?

texting and driving KILLS more teens than drinking and driving. (add mayhem, accidents, and non-fatal)

its time to treat texting with the same penalties as if you were drunk and driving. 

Cell phones were not really around when I was in high school and txting was not that big of a deal. Now I look around and see 5 year olds with cell phones. Its going to be hard trying to stop people from using their cell its like second nature to a lot of people. Most of my friends don't answer the phone but if you txt them they will respond asap. Ban txting and driving.

I really think we should adopt a more stringent driving school. like in China. those kids have to study for everything, even driving school. I skipped at least one class. I skipped pretty much everything then, so yah. The instructor didn't take me on the highway at all. I remember it being overall a waste of time. 

As far as punishment, teens get less because of their age. However, they are given responsibility, just like adults, so I feel that warrants the right to punish as adults. 

There is a difference between a good faith judgement call that you got wrong... And the ongoing negligence and recklessness of texting/calling/drinking/fellating and driving.

You either know it is dangerous, and should be punished for being reckless operation OR you didn't know it was dangerous and therefore are not well trained enough and should have your license revoked.

"Kids will be kids" is of no comfort to the injured biker.

• Upvote 1