My First Ride With Earplugs

RSparky

This is technically a review of earplugs. Just wanted to say that I think I'll use them now. 

So, I got off the bike the other day after a pretty long stint on the highway, and my ears were ringing. I've never had this happen before. I'm still new to the Triumph, so maybe it has something to do with its aerodynamics, combined with my loud ass Bell helmet. 

I've been anti-plugs since I started riding a few years ago. Not that I don't think they're safe. I have read the facts just like everybody else. I just think my aversion was due to the extra step in getting ready to ride. I'm ATGATT, so it takes me a minute or two, in comparison to just throwing on shorts and flip flops to hop in the cage. 

So, I decided to try to attenuate some noise in my helmet by modifying the ear pads. I bought some open cell foam, after reading it was supposedly better at sound insulation than closed cell. Cut thicker pieces, that didn't do anything. Wrapping them in electrical tape seemed to do a little more, compared to using just the regular pad as a control. I also read about fighters using thin lead sheets to damp acoustics or something like that, so I double-sided some 3/4" washers to the inside of the plastic in the helmet. supposedly the density jump does something. Makes sense, but I couldn't really tell a difference. 

ANYWHO, I decided to try earplugs. I'll make it a habit from here on. Big difference in highway wind noise. And really not much difference without the bike on. The helmet already muffles a little, so they just combine with that. If you're not sure about trying them, like I was, it can't hurt. At least not as much as not trying them. 

I've never had to use them with a quality helmet that fits properly and that's going back to the mid 80's when I first started riding.  

Honestly, your helmet sounds like the problem.....buy one that fits and seals better.  

I have been using earplugs since I started riding two years ago. I have sensitive ears, which I think is good because for the most part I have good hearing. Anyway, I noticed after w few long rides my ears would ring.

It's not that the bike is loud, it's the wind noise from the helmet. I think I'd be better off with a quieter helmet, but I spent $200 on it. How much does one have to spend to get a quiet helmet!? Don't answer that....I'm sure it's probably in the $700 range.

Anyway, I never ride without hearing protection now. I consider it part of my ATGATT. And at over 100 decibels, wind noise is no joke. The old timers will tell you to wear them, if they could hear you ask if you should.

I've never had to use them with a quality helmet that fits properly and that's going back to the mid 80's when I first started riding.

Honestly, your helmet sounds like the problem.....buy one that fits and seals better.

I think I disagree. I've had a couple different helmets across varying price ranges and quality. My current Shoei is by far the best fit and quietest, but ear plugs still make all the difference in the world.

Having a proper fitting helmet is important, but ear plugs for me will always be a necessity.

quiet helmets can be cheap. it's all about the material and the ventilation. less ventilation means less air flowing inside, and less wind noise transferring. but, the material properties also affect how much the whole thing vibrates. lighter shtuff should be louder. so, get a cheap one. I know when i "upgraded" to the bell from the scorpion, the wind seemed twice as loud. my exo-1000 was pretty quiet. the exo-400, after figuring out the annoying ass whistle was quiet too.

I definitely recommend skeptical riders at least try a decent ride with earplugs to see how much of a difference it can make.  There are really more than one concern that earplugs can help address.

The first is clearly the reduction of hearing damage caused by wind noise over distance. An hour at 110db will damage your hearing, but at 115db, it only takes 15 minutes. Wearing a properly-fitted helmet that has been engineered to reduce wind noise will help, but even the Schuberth helmets are still registering 85db at 60mph.  A basic set of ear plugs can reduce that noise by 30db.

Beyond permanent hearing damage, riders face what audiologists call "Temporary Threshold Shift", wherein a long duration of excessive noise will cause your ears to shift their hearing pattern to a lower level.  Essentially, your ears limit your ability to hear sounds after some time on the road, in an experience similar to when you're at a concert.  Continuous TTS exposure can cause permanent hearing damage.  Earphones help reduce TTS, and even though they limit the sound coming to you, you're actually able to better hear danger signs in your environment during a long ride than without them.

Another concern is that long, unprotected exposure to wind noise can tire a rider out.  Try ear plugs the next time you take a long ride and compare how you feel when you stop to how you feel when you don't.  A less tired rider makes fewer mistakes while riding, leading to a safer experience during and after the ride.

So ... what earplugs are best?  That's likely going to vary based on your preference.  One option is to try an http://www.earplugstore.com/unfoamtrialp.html'>ear plug sampler kit to experience what shapes, sizes and materials work best for your ear.

My personal preference are the http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B0017JIT4C'>Howard Leight Laser Lite corded foam earplugs.  They fit me well, are cheap, and I like the cord making them harder to lose when I take them out at a stop.

By the way, if you do go with foam earplugs, this video explains how to

properly insert them to get the best protection and quickest installation.

• Upvote 1

I have a $700 helmet :crazy: . I will try earplugs again but I don't really get that much wind noise with the shoei x-12. Side my new exhaust is loud and I hear that now.

You are still young, one day you will realize that us older guys were right.

• Upvote 1

You are still young, one day you will realize that us older guys were right.

Plus one with this, I wish that I had half the hearing I've lost over the years. I sat in the front row of a class I recently took and could barely hear the instructor.

I must have ear plugs on a long ride. The wind noise fatigues me. Makes me have a headache and makes me sleepy. Just try 200 miles with plugs , and without. I can bet you'll feel better with them. I also feel I can hear what my machine is doing due to lack of wind noise. I have a shoei qwest , and is one the quietest helmets I've had.

I can't believe how long I went without them. My ear buds had some noise cancelation but after using ear plugs for the first time on last years GAP trip, ill never go back!

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Value-Pack-Ear-Plugs/dp/B000NPBEZC/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

From my service time, I have a noticeable hearing loss and have noticed tinnitus for the last 4 or 5 years.  Riding the bike without earplugs, especially on the freeway, will only make my hearing worse.  I have no intentions of getting Belltones in retirement.

Also, earplugs actually make the communication with my Chatterbox headset better.  The manufacturer recommends it and it really helps!

Constant wind noise is bad for your ears. It's can be worse in a problem helmet than with no helmet at all.

Not just damage and ringing, but also fatigue from noise.

edit: Active noise cancellation ear phones or buds or plugs do not work well on motorcycles.

Passive noise cancellation works for both.

Edited by ReconRat

I think I disagree. I've had a couple different helmets across varying price ranges and quality. My current Shoei is by far the best fit and quietest, but ear plugs still make all the difference in the world.

Having a proper fitting helmet is important, but ear plugs for me will always be a necessity.

Agree. Any helmet with any sort of ventilation will have wind noise. I've NEVER owned a cheap helmet and they all have some wind noise. The wind noise can also cause fatigue. I don't always wear my plugs but if I'm going to be on the bike a decent amount of time or doing alot of highway time, I put them in and they are really nice.   Broke down last year and bought custom fitted plugs at the bike show. Wish I had done it sooner.

Mary

I cannot seem to remember to put them in. When I see someone else putting them in, I'll remember, or after I've already taken off, and begin hearing the wind noise, then I seem to remember. I think I may have a short term memory problem. Wait, what were we discussing?

High frequency hearing loss is no fun.  

Even very good quiet helmets are still much too loud IMO.  I've been riding with earplugs for many years, and pretty much won't ride without them anymore.  It doesn't take long to put them in and makes riding much more comfortable and enjoyable.

The helmet is likely not the problem (Unless it is a cheap one). The better the airflow in the helmet, the more wind noise you have. My Arai is a awesome helmet, but it is loud as hell without plugs.