Dumb-ass Attack While Performing Maintenance?

C-bus

I'm relatively new to the world of DIY maintenance. I make no apologies, it's just something that was not done in my house growing up. I've decided to break that chain and learn some things on my own so my kids can learn to be a little more independent.

I performed my first oil change on my FZ6 about two years ago. No problem at all.

On Memorial Day weekend, however, I did not fair so well. I decided to change the oil in my Victory..... Purchased the 5 quart jug of oil from I.P. and a new K&N filter. Put down about 4 square feet of cardboard so I didn't ruin the driveway. Placed the pan, opened the plug, drained, removed filter, etc. No problem. No mess. Time to fill it back up. Screwed in the plug, lubed the filter and then screwed it on. Again, no issue. Bike takes 4.5 quarts, so I poured .5 into an empty oil container with measuring points and then filled the bike with 4.5. Turned it on..... Ran it a bit.... Checked level and it's low. So, of course I pour the rest in.

All done! Time to ride. I took it out, jumped on the freeway for a bit and then it dawned on me.... I took the oil level reading while on the side stand. Crap! Directions say to have it upright for the oil level to be accurate. Being obsessive as I am, I immediately came home and googled. Some say "no big deal", others say .5 too much will foam up and cause damage. Ok.... I can fix this. I just got a 2 cup measuring cup and placed it under the plug. No cardboard necessary since I'm just going to unscrew it a little to let out .5 quarts.....right? Apparently, just letting a little out isn't an option. Unscrewed a little....nothing, a little more.....nothing. Oh shit! Now I'm holding the plug with boiling motor oil gushing over my hands and onto my driveway. Tried to plug it with my finger..... Hey, the motor is hotter even than the oil.

So, I cleaned up.... Poured 4 new quarts in, ran it, measured and we're all good.

So let's see some "I'm a dumb-ass" stories of DIY maintenance. I know they're out there.

Edited by C-bus
  • Upvote 2

Well, speaking of oil, when I was 16, my dad was showing me, for the first time, how to change the oil in my newly aquired piece of crap 1977 Ford Thunderchicken.

Showed me how to properly jack the car up and ensure it is secured with stands, with the whole speech of how you don't want the jack to fail or fall while under the car.

Got that all situated and we crawl under the car so he can show me where the drain plug is and how to remove it, carefully draining the old oil into the container without making a mess. So far so good, no spilt oil.

We proceeded to move over to the oil filter and he showed me how to remove it, oil up the seal on the new one, and screwing it on enough but not too much, making it easy to remove when the next change is due.

Again so far so good. We crawl out for a few minutes to let the oil completely drain. I crawled back under to watch the draining (16, everything was exiting then). I come back out with the container. Me: "Good to go, oils all drained."

Dad: "Okay, using the funnel, just pour the new oil in there".

After about 3 quarts. Dad: "Um son, did you put the plug back in?" Me: "No, you didn't tell me to."

Guess who had to clean the garage floor, and never heard the end of it, for the rest of his fathers life? This guy!

Edited by Kent2406
  • Upvote 2

I'm relatively new to the world of DIY maintenance. I make no apologies, it's just something that was not done in my house growing up. I've decided to break that chain and learn some things on my own so my kids can learn to be a little more independent.

I performed my first oil change on my FZ6 about two years ago. No problem at all.

On Memorial Day weekend, however, I did not fair so well. I decided to change the oil in my Victory..... Purchased the 5 quart jug of oil from I.P. and a new K&N filter. Put down about 4 square feet of cardboard so I didn't ruin the driveway. Placed the pan, opened the plug, drained, removed filter, etc. No problem. No mess. Time to fill it back up. Screwed in the plug, lubed the filter and then screwed it on. Again, no issue. Bike takes 4.5 quarts, so I poured .5 into an empty oil container with measuring points and then filled the bike with 4.5. Turned it on..... Ran it a bit.... Checked level and it's low. So, of course I pour the rest in.

All done! Time to ride. I took it out, jumped on the freeway for a bit and then it dawned on me.... I took the oil level reading while on the side stand. Crap! Directions say to have it upright for the oil level to be accurate. Being obsessive as I am, I immediately came home and googled. Some say "no big deal", others say .5 too much will foam up and cause damage. Ok.... I can fix this. I just got a 2 cup measuring cup and placed it under the plug. No cardboard necessary since I'm just going to unscrew it a little to let out .5 quarts.....right? Apparently, just letting a little out isn't an option. Unscrewed a little....nothing, a little more.....nothing. Oh shit! Now I'm holding the plug with boiling motor oil gushing over my hands and onto my driveway. Tried to plug it with my finger..... Hey, the motor is hotter even than the oil.

So, I cleaned up.... Poured 4 new quarts in, ran it, measured and we're all good.

So let's see some "I'm a dumb-ass" stories of DIY maintenance. I know they're out there.

I did damn near the same thing several years ago. One of the first oil changes I ever did on a bike. Overfilled the oil. Thought I could drain some out. Plug slipped out of my hand and slid down the hole in the middle of my oil drain pan. 

Woah!? What happened to your bike?

got about 80 miles south of Columbus, was going about 70-75 all of the sudden felt a loss of power wouldn't go past 50 mph and rpms maxed at 9k.

Edited by Kmanlyst

Yup and bike is still fucked up and not running right, getting rid of it and calling it quits.

Is it still under warranty? If not I am sure there are a few great guys on the forum who knows a thing or 2 about bikes that could figure it out. Motorcycles are not cars, best to learn as much as you can about maintaining them and fixing them, not many dealer techs know their ass from their hand.

• Upvote 1

Put your race pipe back on and see what happens. I jetted that bike for a race pipe, which was installed at the time. You removed it and then trailered to DG.. Maybe the mixture is just bad enough to give you fits. No promises, but it's worth a shot as it costs nothing.

It has been running fine since I picked it up, didn't have any issues at the gap, put the race pipe back on today felt bogged down letting the clutch out in first. Tried taking it to the main road and opened the throttle was slow getting to speed and I had it wide open.

one time during a beaver track day, i did something with the oil on my aprilia rsvr which involved taking the fill cap off.

i did whatever i was doing, and turned the bike on and revved it a few times.

the fill cap was still off the bike.

When I was maybe 20, I did a fuel pump of a buddy's piece of shit dodge fury. After the job it was time to get it started and it was having trouble pumping the fuel on just the starter motor. To avoid killing his battery I decided to pour gas directly into the top of the carb, which made the engine run great,till it backfired through the carb and caught it and all the spilt gas on the top of the motor ablaze. He ran to get something to extinguish the growing flames with and returned with patio furniture chair cushions. Oddly, they turned out to be highly flamable as well. At this point in time a cyclist happened upon us and withou asking I relieved him of his water bottle and poured it on the now fully engulfed engine. The effect was non existant. Here comes my buddy at a full run with the garden hose which he had forgotten to fully un-ravel. Ten feet from the street he runs out of slack and is promptly slammed on the ground by momentum and gravity. He finally gets the hose over and we put his car out.

For shits and giggles I tell him to try the motor again. Fucking thing starts right up and he gave me a lift home.

A week later the frame broke just behind the motor cradle and he scrapped it for beer money.

• Upvote 3

When I was maybe 20, I did a fuel pump of a buddy's piece of shit dodge fury. After the job it was time to get it started and it was having trouble pumping the fuel on just the starter motor. To avoid killing his battery I decided to pour gas directly into the top of the carb, which made the engine run great,till it backfired through the carb and caught it and all the spilt gas on the top of the motor ablaze. He ran to get something to extinguish the growing flames with and returned with patio furniture chair cushions. Oddly, they turned out to be highly flamable as well. At this point in time a cyclist happened upon us and withou asking I relieved him of his water bottle and poured it on the now fully engulfed engine. The effect was non existant. Here comes my buddy at a full run with the garden hose which he had forgotten to fully un-ravel. Ten feet from the street he runs out of slack and is promptly slammed on the ground by momentum and gravity. He finally gets the hose over and we put his car out.

For shits and giggles I tell him to try the motor again. Fucking thing starts right up and he gave me a lift home.

A week later the frame broke just behind the motor cradle and he scrapped it for beer money.

That's some funny stuff.

Well, if you are still bogging then I don't know what it is. I can't believe it's carburetor issues. Did you happen to get some shit fuel? Drain the tank and carbs and refill with fresh. That's the next step, in my opinion.

I'd go with this... Pauly knows his shit.

Edited by magley64

Trying to think of one..I mean...I so rarely screw up wor......oh, wait.....

late 60's pontiac, wanted to put a shift kit into the car, cause that was cool. 

car jacked up, secure....remove all bolts from trans pan, and the thing wont come off...I swear I barely TOUCHED the lip with the screwdriver and it came like a burnt red tidal wave towards me. in my eyes, my mouth, nose, hair matted down, all down my back....

• Upvote 2

Oh man there are so many stories of me screwing things up while maintaining or modding I don't know where to start

I blew a tire on my G35 on my way into work so I pull into a podunk gas station at 4:30am to change the tire. Using the stock scissor jack I get it up in the air and as I'm lifting the rim off the hub the damn jack starts creaking and down comes the back end. Only thing that saved me was having the rim with the blown tire catch the cAr before it fell...it caught it on the bumper and folded that bitch :nono:

On my first CBR I was trying to install a speedo healer and had to remove the gas tank to get to where it plugs in. Didn't think I needed to drain it but lo and behold I should've cause I drained it all over me and the bike

These are just a few examples why my bike goes to Pauly for pretty much anything anymore :lol:

Took the belly pan off of the Mille to do an oil change, and forgot to pull the inner plastic support panel out that wraps around the inner side of the exhaust, basically leaving it lay directly on the exhaust.

Changed the oil, then started the bike to circulate and check oil level (dry sump). After running it for a couple minutes I started smelling a nasty melting/burning plastic smell…Realizing what I had done (or not done) I looked underneath to see a black gooey glob bubbling on the link pipe.

Went inside to check the AF1 racing site to see how much this OEM piece of Italian plastic was going to cost me. Didn’t feel as dumb when I read the part description:

Genuine Aprilia exhaust wrap panel for '98-'03 Mille, Mille-R.

This is the plastic panel situated behind the exhaust where it exits the fairing. 

This piece is frequently burned during oil changes.

I was rushing to change the oil on one of my former cars, a '03 Taurus. No problems draining it and replacing the plug, but when I took the folter off I failed to notice that the filter gasket was stuck to the engine block still. Since I can't see it and have to use my minds eye to find the stud, I didn't feel it whenI put the new filter on, nor did I notice how quickly the new filter found the mouning face. Filter now on, drain plug in, added oil...time to fire it up and check for leaks. Start the engine and at first no big deal. Then suddenly something is pissing all under my car. The whole garage floor under the car was covered in fresh synthetic and my exhaust was well lubricated also. Smelled wonderful. This was the price paid for rushing a job.

I'm not the most mechanical savvy guy but I wanted to learn how to maintain and fix my bike so I didn't have to pay a mechanic. I needed to replace my stator one day. After googling the process and asking some local friends, I decided to give it a go. Took the old stator off, replaced the gasket and as I placed the new stator in, I never knew it was magnetized so I put my fingers in behind to support as I got it closer to make sure it lined up and as the magnets took over it slammed my fingers in behind the stator. My father and a riding friend both watched and found it hilarious.

The first thing out of my father's mouth. "Oh ya, it's magnetized".

The worst screw-up i can recall at the moment is trying to torque caliper bolts to spec (using a torque wrench), and twisting one completely in half in the process.

Old bolt, but still really dumb of me not to notice the torque was staying completely constant...

I'm sure I can think of many more, much dumber examples of my ineptitude.