Honda Grom

Casper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears like a motorcycle and a scooter finally had a decent looking child!

Reported 68 MPG, and top speeds in the 60-70 mph, with motorcycle controls(separate braking systems, head light, etc), this would be either a nice in town commuter bike, or a great first time bike for beginners.

At $3K, I'd be interested!

I want one but I would be shocked if it can run more than 60 mph. Supposedly has around 9 HP. My scooter supposedly has close to 14-15 HP and only runs 70 mph.

Bike will be too heavy to race and only has 4 speed. 5-6 speed when made available will likely be $1k.

Very cool bike but not gonna replace my scoot anytime soon. By his thing needs hard luggage and then I might. :)

It appears like a motorcycle and a scooter finally had a decent looking child!

Reported 68 MPG, and top speeds in the 60-70 mph, with motorcycle controls(separate braking systems, head light, etc), this would be either a nice in town commuter bike, or a great first time bike for beginners.

At $3K, I'd be interested!

I want one but I would be shocked if it can run more than 60 mph. Supposedly has around 9 HP. My scooter supposedly has close to 14-15 HP and only runs 70 mph.

Bike will be too heavy to race and only has 4 speed. 5-6 speed when made available will likely be $1k.

Very cool bike but not gonna replace my scoot anytime soon. By his thing needs hard luggage and then I might. :)

I went back to the article where I found the MPG, and I read the article incorrectly.  The article was reviewing the GROM and the Forza, and I quoted the Forza's MPG.  They did not have the GROM's MPG.  

However, I was able to find this little gem:

"Honda's Japan website is boasting the Grom gets 63.2 Km/l. That equates to 148.66 mpg or 178.53 mpg Imperial gallon. Wait for it, wait for it....It also says driving at a constant 60 Km/h or 38 mph. "

So, since the Honda website here in the US isn't posting anything about expected MPG, it all boils down to how you ride it, and how much you make the bike carry.  But since it's a 125 CC, and the Rebel is a 250 and is reported to get 83 MPG http://gas2.org/2013/04/27/13-high-mpg-my2013-motorcycles-you-can-buy/ , you can bet the GROM will be getting a decent MPG.  

Don't know why you say that. An automatic Zuma 125 will go over 60 mph. I would think a 125 with a 4 speed manual could hit 70.

If say it will go the same as a Zuma. Both air cooled fuel injected 125's. Nothing inherently wrong with a CVT scooter transmission. 4 speed will require wide spacing. I had Aprilia RS50 with 6 speed manual and 6 speeds are much better than 4 on little engines. CVT's have far more than either.

70mph sounds doable to me for a bike that big.   It's really not a big stretch from the scooters of that size.    My Honda Aero 80 does 52mph on a straight away.   All I did was put a pod filter and expansion chamber exhaust on it and a bigger jet.   I know the Grom is not a 2-stroke but it is a brand spanking new 4 stroke that is even bigger.   It doesn't take a  whole lot of horsepower to top out at 70mph.   

I heard a rumor that WERA is considering making a spec class for these little guys.   Don't know if it's true but that sounds fun, fun to watch, fun to participate in and cheap to operate.   This little bike could really bring a new dimension to Motorcycling, maybe get the scooter people on real bikes and the real bike people into little bikes.   I'm excited about this thing and a lot of my friends are too.   This thing seems like the perfect little bike to go into a corner banging elbows with your friends.   

• Upvote 1

I heard a rumor that WERA is considering making a spec class for these little guys.  

That would be pretty sweet, but I'm not sure I would want to run a bike with a 65-70 mph top speed around any of the tracks WERA runs at. They would have to start a whole new series running on kart tracks and such. Seems like this would be better suited for something like OMRL

They already have bikes that are similar and made for racing. OMRL does a great job. 2004 Honda NSR50 had its own spec class. 2006 Honda NSF100 which races with other 100cc bikes in F4 class with OMRL. Both of which are lighter than the GROM. All listed have 12" wheels like the GROM. The GROM would likely need its own class as my NSF will likely destroy it around a kart track due to lighter weight and 5 speed tranny. NSF100 comes with stock XR100 engine and transmission.

Would be awesome for my 40 mile round trip commute, would cut my gas expenses by a shit ton.

And it'd be super fun to mess around in town on.   I already love riding the scoots all over town.   

Do I obsess?  Yes, yes I do....not being able to find anyone to commit to mpg was pissing me off....

http://www.gear-nut.com/2013/04/06/the-new-honda-msx-125/

"...With a top speed of 65+ mph, a range of 135 miles..."

Found the specifications from Honda, 1.45 gal fuel tank....doing math the old school method(using a damn calculator), it's about 93 mpg.

Cannot wait to see what these things actually do when they hit the streets.

I mean, let's be honest,  anything above 60mpg and it costs very little to run and is on par with a scooter.   In terms of cost of operation there isn't much more money to save once you are above 60mpg.   

• 6 months later...

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but I just wanted to let everyone know I have a GROM and I want to make myself available to any questions anyone might have.

I am 5' 7", 212 lbs and the bike will get me up to 68 mph on level terrain, but 60 is a more realistic, achievable number. I am also getting 128 mpg. When I am really thrashing it, I get about 98. It's an absolute blast to ride. The Vee Rubber tires (stock) are complete garbage on anything except perfectly dry asphalt. Combine the crap tires with the fact that the bike weighs a little less than 220 pounds (I shed some weight) and it makes for a really sketchy ride in the rain. If you see me riding around the Milford, Loveland, Fairfield, Goshen and even Blanchester areas, feel free to stop me and take a look. I get stopped nearly every time I take the thing out.

• Upvote 1