Tire Pressure Gauge - Got A Favorite?

JohnG

I know what you're thinking... This is a pretty petty thing to post up. But really, accurate tire pressure is kinda important.

I've got an old stick-type tester that I inherited from God knows where, but I really need to pick up another for the tank bag or spare in the garage. It needs to be maneuverable around brake rotors and sprockets and all that shit and hell, it shouldn't be hard to check your tires so you do it more often, right?

If you've got one that you like, where did you get it how much did you spend?

Thanks!

The kind that doesn't fall apart, a mechanical gauge the holds the reading, connected to a fairly long rubber hose with the air chuck on the end.

Advance auto

Edited by Gump

I like the round ones that hold the reading and has the button that resets. Not sure where to get one. Pony maybe?

HF bubby......

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-psi-dial-tire-pressure-gauge-90610.html

And I've checked it again several other gauges and its pretty spot on

Edited by 2talltim

Actually this isn't petty at all.  For anyone who tracks/races this is beyond important, for wear, grip, and most of all safety. On the street pretty much just as important I believe.  I wouldn't want like 60psi in a street tire I am abou to run through Hocking or any twisties, and I am sure a crusier doesn't want 21PSI or something liket hat.  I think this is a very good post.

I use a Joes Racing one I got from Amazon, love it.  Also have an Accu-Guage I got with my tire warmers.  Neither were real expensive and both are accurate where we need them, 20-40psi range, which is key.  The late model team uses Longacre, but they are for lower PSI, like 5-20psi as that's about all we run.

This is what I run below, I believe.  SJC1000RR has the same, and I think several others too.  20bux.

http://www.amazon.com/Joes-Racing-32307-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B00404WDUC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371153140&sr=8-2&keywords=tire+pressure+gauge

Very cool. Yes, from what I remember from my gauge-cal training back in the Navy days, you need your range of measurement on the gauge to be as close as possible to the expected measurement. That's why I'm hesitant to buy a gauge with a 0-100 psi range as the max I'm measuring is 42 psi on the back tire. Granted, one or two psi off the mark isn't a big deal, but 10 psi is...

Very cool. Yes, from what I remember from my gauge-cal training back in the Navy days, you need your range of measurement on the gauge to be as close as possible to the expected measurement. That's why I'm hesitant to buy a gauge with a 0-100 psi range as the max I'm measuring is 42 psi on the back tire. Granted, one or two psi off the mark isn't a big deal, but 10 psi is...

Correct, so you want to buy something like I posted with Amazon, where it's more accurate in that area of measurement.  

I like the round ones that hold the reading and has the button that resets. Not sure where to get one. Pony maybe?

Yep. Picked one up at the Pony a couple months ago so I could read the back tire. So easy to use. I think I bought one of the more expensive models for about $30.

post-12300-0-09550600-1371176621_thumb.j

Edited by C-bus

Yep. Picked one up at the Pony a couple months ago so I could read the back tire. So easy to use. I think I bought one of the more expensive models for about $30.

Thats what I use in my garage, only on cars/trucks/trailer.  I would use it on the bike but I always use the same gauge for that to ensure it's the same PSIs.

Overall if they have that at Pony for 30, its a good pickup.  And as stated, digital is fine too, and I believe super cheap now right?  I just found my digital actually in my old teenage toolbox I had my parents bring down.  Need to get batteries and toss it in the truck.

I'll second the RoadGear gauges. This one in particular.

Reviewed in WebBikeWorld.

roadgear-tire-pressure-gauge.jpg

oops, apparently it's replaced by this one:

digital-tire-pressure-gauge.jpg

And I'm still using those cheap round metal gauges from AutoZone up by the front counter.

Mostly because they seem to be pretty accurate and cheap enough to get lost.

Edited by ReconRat