Considering A Second Bike...

Steve Butters

Ok I'm thinking about picking up a second bike.. I want something with a little more power for shorter rides or strictly spirited rides... I find myself slabbing 60 miles per day to commute, so I probably won't be getting rid of the VFR anytime soon... Just looking for something to ride on days I'm feeling a little more aggressive or want to change it up... I will probably use it to commute a couple days per week and take weekend short distance trips on it... The gf is going to learn to ride, and she loves the VFR, so if we both go riding it'll be nice having two bikes... I won't start her out on the VFR, but I think she eventually will be fine riding it

Looking for suggestions.... I'm considering a cbr1000r and an 08+ cbr1000rr

I've wanted an R1 for years, but the current Honda lineup has really grown on me... How do these two stack up against crossplane Yamaha bikes? Speaking about comfort and rideability, not necessarily performance since I'm sure any of the 4 will be pretty similar

Not really much of a difference there between the VFR and a 1K sport bike. If I was going to drop that kind of cash on a second bike they would be totally different rides. But that's just me.

That's what I was thinking too.  Do you have any way to ride (even rent) other bikes near you?  Might be a good way to expand your palette while your wallet is open. 

Not really much of a difference there between the VFR and a 1K sport bike. If I was going to drop that kind of cash on a second bike they would be totally different rides. But that's just me.

There is A LOT of difference between the VFR and a liter bike in speed. Shit down at the Gap I was "sweeping" our group and anytime there was straight line acceleration out of a corner it was bye bye group, I'll catch up to you in a few. JStump's 675 just absolutely left me in the dust :lol:

There is A LOT of difference between the VFR and a liter bike in speed. Shit down at the Gap I was "sweeping" our group and anytime there was straight line acceleration out of a corner it was bye bye group, I'll catch up to you in a few. JStump's 675 just absolutely left me in the dust :lol:

my piont is they are similar bikes, ol' stumpy picked up his game this year for sure

Shawn that bike is awesome.. Little too far for me though lol

Also, there definitely is a difference... I want something that goes faster in a straight line when I'm in the mood for it.. Just don't want the bulk of a busa or zx14..the VFR is great, and I'm sure I don't ride it to its potential on twisty roads, but I want something I can accelerate a little faster on when I'm in the mood for it... I ride a long 4 lane highway for 16 miles every morning through nothing but desert before I even get to the phoenix metro area, and then another 15 miles highway to my job... Gotta find some way to make it more entertaining

• Upvote 1

Similar in what sense? The VFR is fairly slow, corners pretty well, comfortable to commute on and ride 2 up.... The other is just fast and handles well... I wouldn't use it for 2 up, and it wouldn't be a commuting bike... What bike would you suggest? I don't want an enduro or something silly, and when you get into the city people try to run you over constantly so I definitely want something nimble.... Basically, if the VFR was 100 lbs lighter, and had 100hp more, I wouldn't be looking for a second bike... The only bikes that fit my criteria are liter bikes, the VFR does everything else I would need it to

my piont is they are similar bikes, ol' stumpy picked up his game this year for sure

I still don't get how they are similar by any means so you'll have to expound for me

Similar in what sense? The VFR is fairly slow, corners pretty well, comfortable to commute on and ride 2 up.... The other is just fast and handles well... I wouldn't use it for 2 up, and it wouldn't be a commuting bike... What bike would you suggest? I don't want an enduro or something silly, and when you get into the city people try to run you over constantly so I definitely want something nimble.... Basically, if the VFR was 100 lbs lighter, and had 100hp more, I wouldn't be looking for a second bike... The only bikes that fit my criteria are liter bikes, the VFR does everything else I would need it to

Its no slouch but it would certainly benefit from even 20-30 more hp. Mine dyno'd a couple years ago at 98hp

I just picked up a CBR600RR for the same reason.  My SFV650 handles really well in the twisties, but I wanted something a little more sport focused. 

The VFR and CBR1k are very different.  The only advantage the VFR has would be a more comfortable riding position, and even that's fairly subjective. 

Vfr's will move along pretty damn well, if you want something aggressive keep the revs higher. This is a gsxr 600 following a vfr. Jester had a cam showing his tach and I was amazed at how low he kept the rpm.

Some say it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast.

Edited by RHill

vfr's move great and I absolutely love mine as its the perfect do it all bike for me. The acceleration isn't bad but it can't touch a 600 or 1k I4 in straight line speed which is what ol TBut wants. The only mod to the VFR that would help is the supercharger kit which costs more than he bought the bike for and IMO really isn't worth it when you can have a 2nd bike for the price.

Edited by Bad324

98hp at the rear wheel is faster than every bike I own and I'm hardly ever at the back of any pack of riders I roll with. If you want a faster bike, that's great. Just don't say the VFR is slow, because it isn't.

What's your budget? That's going to narrow the search real fast.

I'm certainly not saying its slow, I know my riding is slow :D

I believe the acceleration "feels" slow because of the power delivery on it. I also full well know part of the problem is that because I'm a woose half the time riding and for some reason don't feel as comfortable up in the high RPMs on the VFR as I did on an I4. Most people probably roll way above the VTEC engage point and I rarely get above 8-9k

FZ1 Bubby. Dump that Viffer and don't look back.

I'm with Shawn. If I hadn't dumped so much money into the VFR over the last year, its exactly what I'd do.

But again, I know why he wants both bikes and I've been there before. So in this case keep the VFR and go straight liter supersport which is what he truly wants

Edited by Bad324

98hp at the rear wheel is faster than every bike I own and I'm hardly ever at the back of any pack of riders I roll with. If you want a faster bike, that's great. Just don't say the VFR is slow, because it isn't.

What's your budget? That's going to narrow the search real fast.

When I said slow, I strictly meant acceleration. It handles like a dream and I can keep up on it on moderate group rides no problem.. I thoroughly enjoy the bike. Just looking for a second toy with some more straight line potential. I won't be selling the VFR.

My budget is 6-8k.. I could spend more, possibly, but would prefer not to... Here's the bike I'm looking at

phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcd/3870319103.html

I'm not looking for approval :).. Just opinions on the 4 bikes I mentioned

Of the 4 Japanese literbikes, I would consider the CBR to be the best street bike, but you should at least go sit on each of them.       

Well, the desire for a little less weight and more punch is a common refrain from the VFR crowd. Too bad Honda did what they did with the VFR1200.

Mostly, what you want doesn't exist - lightweight, nimble, quick accelerating, comfortable and can commute in a single bike. Prioritize those as you are going to have to make some tradeoffs.  

1, consider a track bike to satisfy the need for speed 

2, Sporttourers = K1200S/K1300S, ZX14, VFR1200 will all satisfy the need for speed and commute. Not quite as nimble as what you have.

3, Nakeds = Triumph Speed Triple, CBR1000R, SuperDuke, Tuono, Streetfighter will give you nimble, speed and some measure of comfort and commutability. Little to no wind protection.

4, Sporting bikes = FZ1, Ninja1k, Z1000, FZ9, FZ8, GSX1250A will be as close as you come to the VFR but offer a bit more zip and top line speed.

5, SBK = take your pick. Not a whole lot of difference. KTM RC8R has adjustable ergos that can help with the commute side. CBR gets praise from the rags as the best of bunch for all-around ridability. Kawi and Euros (BMW, Ducati, Aprillia, MV) are the only ones currently to offer all the techno gadgets.

6, no real need to go with the 1ks when the 600-848s are more than adequate to deliver speed and acceleration.

7, Ducati Hypermotard, KTM SMR/SMT, Aprillia Dosoduro are a few interesting options to the nakeds that would spice of the daily commute but won't be a whole lot faster than the VFR.

One of the nakeds will probably give you the thrills you want and make the morning commute a bit more fun. But as others have said, get the one you want as it will be the only one to make you happy. FYI - Honda blew out left over '08 CBR1ks for around $6,800 in 2010. Ask the seller when he bought this one as you may have some room to come down on that price.

Edited by Revelstoker