Got A Old Smartphone Lying Around? Use It As A Gps Speedo!

SWing'R

Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.  Strapped my old inactive verizon wireless samsung fascinate to the bike and it works great as a gps speedometer with a free gps speedo app!  The app doesn't require active data to work, only a gps signal :)

gallery_10251_431_50410.jpg

Tonight was the first time I was ever able to check my speedo against a gps using this setup.

The speedo wasn't off to bad (assuming the gps app/phone is correct).

In the 0-60mph range the bike speed was 3mph fast.

In the 60-90mph range it was 5mph fast.

Over 90 it seemed to be fast by about 7mph.

Used it on my way to work. Speedo was a little off on the Connie. 0-20 = 1mph, 20-35 = 2mph, 35-55= 3mph, 55-70 =4mph, 70-80=5mph difference (the bike reading the lower number). Since my bike has a dial speedi it was nice to look down and see the large digital display. Thanks for the idea Rosso , it will come in handy

Yeah as Mykill said.... connect to a wifi source and you can still download apps to the phone :)

This phone is NOT active, it was on verizon but has been shut off for almost a year.

Edited by SWing'R

Nice, I need to do this cause I know my speedo on the street triple is way off.

The good part, after I figure out how much it's off I can correct it with some free software called TuneECU. It has a section to calibrate the speedometer if you make gearing changes. Should work to correct this too.

If you have a Triumph, KTM, or Aprilia and you don't have TuneECU, you should!

• Upvote 1

Btw, gps speed is very very accurate if you are traveling in a straight line. Around a curve it can be off because it samples every few seconds, and only does the math for straight line travel.

Nice, I need to do this cause I know my speedo on the street triple is way off.

The good part, after I figure out how much it's off I can correct it with some free software called TuneECU. It has a section to calibrate the speedometer if you make gearing changes. Should work to correct this too.

If you have a Triumph, KTM, or Aprilia and you don't have TuneECU, you should!

Did you do that to my bike? The speedo seems like the most accurate one I have used yet, maybe a couple mph off but it's close I think.

Did you do that to my bike? The speedo seems like the most accurate one I have used yet, maybe a couple mph off but it's close I think.

I changed it once but never verified exactly how accurate it was. I knew it was better than before, cause just keeping up with traffic on the freeway it would say I was doing 80+.

Well I actually drove past one of those police "you are going this fast" signs just now and it said I was doing 65 when my speedo said 75 :/

I don't know how those come up with your speed,  when I drive past one in my truck it says exactly what my speedo says but my phone and garmin says I'm going 4 mph slower.

figure that out.

Edited by serpentracer