Chains - How Many Miles

Tpoppa

I've never owned a bike long enough to find out, haha.

I put about 12K on a brand new bike. The sprockets still looked fine, the chain was starting to stretch and maybe on it's way out. 15K seems like it's in that range of "time to change it."

I vote for the 15k range on the chain. You will know, it will stretch so fast you won't be able to keep it adjusted for more than 50 or a100 miles.

Sprocket is done when the teeth are pointy and sharp.

Keeping ur shit clean prob helps. Buy a chain brush $10 http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solutions-RGB800-Grunge-Brush/dp/B0012TPVC0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372111719&sr=8-4&keywords=chain+brush

and use either WD-40 or a chain cleaner - gets the chain super clean. (best to do this directally after a ride so the chain is warm)

then lube it up w some chain grease ride it around for a min or two, and your done!

If you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket, that's a good indicator that she needs a new one. My 748 threw a chain at 20k miles, but it was in severe need of replacement. The previous owner never touched it, in my opinion. Also, don't buy cheap. Buy a quality chain.

On Friday I had 1 inch of free play.  After 1,000 miles this weekend, it was over 4 inches and making some strange noises.

I'll be calling DucRx this week for my valve check, plugs, chain, and any else I notice before then.

• Upvote 1

I had the chain and sprockets on my 919 replaced around 16,000... Not necessarily because I knew it 100% needed it, but I wanting to change the gearing was a big reason. I've been told it's good to replace it around every 15,000 miles, but I'm sure it varies depending on the bike, chain, how well it's maintained, and how hard it's ridden. In my case, I didn't really know the history of the bike, but when I first got it, I did notice the chain was way too tight, I have a feeling it was stretched unevenly a bit.

I dont run a chain/sprockets more than 8-10k usually. After a few adjustments, I change it out. Think the service limit constant for most makes is about .5"? May be wrong on that, but if I question the chain I'm swapping it out. $200 on new equip is cheaper than damage to me and the bike should it ever let go.

26 K on the stock 530 DID chain on the 1000rr & it wasn't past time to change it. Replaced it with a 525 EKK ZZZ this spring. I think lubrication & proper tensioning is the key to long chain life. Cleaning with a brush & chemicals is over rated.

26 K on the stock 530 DID chain on the 1000rr & it wasn't past time to change it. Replaced it with a 525 EKK ZZZ this spring. I think lubrication & proper tensioning is the key to long chain life. Cleaning with a brush & chemicals is over rated.

Since I don't know what I'm doing, it's good to know that what I'm doing is the same way that someone who sounds like they know what they're doing is doing it.

Yeah, das it.

• Upvote 1

Chain life heavily depends on maintenance and use. Ride only on dry days and lube every 500 miles it will last a long time. Ride lots of dirt roads and in all kinds of weather with the occasional lube and you might be replacing the chain with the oil :D

Mine is closer to the later :(

Craig

dunno, got a lot of miles out of my chain. Buy a minumum of what the service manual/factory recommends. Go up a notch for better.

They do stretch fast when they go bad. They can get noisy also. All kinked up and stuff. Time to go away.

Pulling away at the back of the rear sprocket is worthy. Should not be able to see teeth and daylight when it's pulled away. Rotate and try a few different spots, it's usually one part of the chain that gives up, not all of it at the same time.

Old school was take it off (clip), fold in half, turn sideways, and check sag. Usually saw that one half sagged way more. Toast.

Edited by ReconRat