Jim And Angela's 2013 Us Tour

wantahertzdonut

This has been in the works for a few months as anyone who knows me already knows.

Since my company was polite enough to tell me back in mid 2011 that I would be losing my job, and then proceeded to drag things out for over 2 years, I have been able to put away enough cash to prepare for a rainy day.  But in time plans went from bracing for the worst to preparing for the best.  So at this point I'm unemployed, ready for a new adventure, and intentionally homeless.

My girlfriend and I have decided to pool our savings, buy a truck and a toy hauler, and hit the road.  We're going to tour around the country (and maybe Canada too) and see all the places we always wanted on an opened ended road trip.  I'm bringing my three motorcycles, bicycles, and hiking gear, and touring national parks, doing motorcycle tours, trackdays, seeing concerts, and touring microbreweries and distilleries. 

We have a blog going that anyone on OR is willing to follow along, the address is http://jimandangelatravel.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/hello/

I'll post more up as things progress. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like fun but I have to ask - what's the plan for when it's over and you have no job/home? Sorry, my wife is a financial planner and I guess she's rubbing off on my. I don't think I could really enjoy myself on such a trip without having a good exit strategy.

• Upvote 1

Definitely going to follow this, maybe you will find a place to call home along the way and network enough to get a job lined up etc.  It was a pleasure speaking with you as you worked on the TH and truck purchases and can't wait to folllow all of this.

The exit strategy is still a work in progress but I am keeping in contact with the slew of recruiters that keep bugging me.  Angela is taking classes online in a very in-demand field and shouldn't have any problem landing a position where we wind up.  I know I can find some sort of engineering work and we also have a drop dead point with what we've spent of when to quit assuming a good job doesn't pop up first and stop us.

I'm updating the blog right now but we're in NY with plans to get through Mass and possibly into ME tomorrow.  Depends on traffic and weather.  We'd be in Mass tonight but got tired and there was a nasty thunderstorm that I didn't feel like driving into.

We'll have a facebook page started that will feature updates a little more than the blog, PM me if you want to friend us.

Does anyone know of any trackday organizations in the NE?  I have new tires and they need miles!

And thanks to everyone who has helped (RVT, Madcat, many others).  We wouldn't be doing this without you.

But please feel free to follow the blog and stay in touch.

I will also text you this, but with the hot water tank, and the holding tanks in general, when you stop today at a pilot, flying J, etc. the RV section should have a thing that is for treating holding tanks and also the water heater.  It's a chlorine, mixture that is still drinkable, and can be run through your H2O systems to clean them.  Grab some of that and dump about 1/2 to a full bottle in the holding tanks.  I always use it on the first 2 trips of the year.  Also if they have a little hose connection that goes onto your camping hose, and has a smaller hose on the end to speed up filling the holding tanks get that, then when you want to clean out the water heater, but it on the end, push the small end up the water heaters plug(pull this after any long trip when you can refill all your tanks for free and let it drain/clean), and shoot fresh water in there.  I do that everytime I use the rig.

I'll text ya in a few and feel free to call me with any questions bud.  

We're touring Acadia NP right now, but it's cold and wet at the park.  I'll have a blog update in the next day or two, I'm waiting for something good to happen so it doesn't sound like I'm whining all the time.  Right now it's too foggy to see anything.  Riding was great, roads are nice, but with no visibility it's like riding through the Cleveland Metroparks. 

Are you coming out west at all? If you plan on hitting up southern AZ let me know ill take a couple of days off if you'll be in the area.

Yes we are. More towards fall. I'll keep you posted

Sent from the shitter using Tapatalk 2