Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

I've had my bike for almost two years and have rode it 1 and a half riding seasons. I put 5k on it last year and am set to put way more than that thus season. I ride it everywhere.

I am planning on buying a house after the 1st of the year and was considering buying a newer bike before that time frame.

I found a very good deal on an 07 R1 w/ 3,9xx mi

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/101916-fs-2007-yamaha-r1/

Being that said I'm aware my current bike is more of a "sport touring" and the R1 is more of a well...blazing rocket.

I'm not really wanting to haul some serious ass, but at the same time I want a fast, dependable bike. Also the next bike I buy I will have it till the wheels fall off & I want it to be a nice one.

What are everybody's thoughts????

The SV is a fast dependable bike when ridden to its potential

Save the money for your house purchase and potential upgrades for the house you're almost guaranteed to want

The SV is a fast dependable bike when ridden to its potential

Save the money for your house purchase and potential upgrades for the house you're almost guaranteed to want

I feel as if thou I am starting to outgrow the SV. Anything above a 500cc IMO for street is fast enough. But I do know that I want a nicer bike w/a smidge more power. Granted the R1 has like 40%+ more HP/TQ lol. If I wait till after I get a house...financially i think it will be much harder to afford. I can buy a bike now and have it mostly paid off in a years time. I might just keep the SV and give it to my gf & have her pay me like 2k for it  - even thou it's worth more than that lol Shes going to go thru the MSF course.

decisions decisions.

If you don't want it for going super fast, look into an r6..Cheaper, faster than sv, cheaper insurance... It'll be just as fast as the r1 in everything except a straight line

I wanted a litre supersport bike too but considering how much I ride, after sitting on a few, I had to settle for something else

If you plan to ride a lot, have you considered the fz1 or sv1k? Same style bike you have now, comfortable to ride since you plan to ride a lot, equally as fast on twisty roads... You'll likely never push any of these bikes to their potential, so why choose one that isn't comfortable to ride, unless you do want to go crazy fast in a straight line? I like litre bikes, but I'm stupid enough to ride one 200, so.... Lol

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

If you don't want it for going super fast, look into an r6..Cheaper, faster than sv, cheaper insurance... It'll be just as fast as the r1 in everything except a straight line

I wanted a litre supersport bike too but considering how much I ride, after sitting on a few, I had to settle for something else

If you plan to ride a lot, have you considered the fz1 or sv1k? Same style bike you have now, comfortable to ride since you plan to ride a lot, equally as fast on twisty roads... You'll likely never push any of these bikes to their potential, so why choose one that isn't comfortable to ride, unless you do want to go crazy fast in a straight line? I like litre bikes, but I'm stupid enough to ride one 200, so.... Lol

One of my friends (that i highly respect his judgment) went from an sv1000 to an R1 and swears the R1 rides better in every aspect and is more comfortable etc. The only reason I guess why I am stuck on the R1 is bec the guy is asking 7k for a 2007 and it only has 3,900 miles! 

All it appears to need is new tires and an oil change. I have yet to find one this nice for that price. I get what your saying though.

Whatever floats his boat, but I bet the majority of people going from a standard to a supersport, don't praise the ss for comfort lol. It might ride nicer, Idk haven't ridden a sv1k,but I'm skeptical that it's more comfortable. Everyone has different preferences though. I just wouldn't buy a supersport banking on the fact that it's super comfortable.

As for the r1..if that's what you're set on, go for it. If you don't like it, you can always resell it and get something else. Some people have them and swear by them... Like I said, everyone has their preferences.

How old are you? Have you got an insurance quote yet? I quoted a 2013 cbr1000rr and it was $547/month to insure with full coverage.. My cb1k is 124/mo full coverage (it wasn't my decision breaker, I would have just carried basic coverage and ridden carefully if I chose the cbr, but it is something to consider).

The bike is definitely nice... But it's not a once in a life time deal either... You can find nice r1s in that price range quite often if you look hard enough and are willing to travel a couple hours.. Especially over the winter

Not trying to discourage you, I love R1s,just helping you consider all angles before making a purchase.

Personally, I think the fz1 would be a better bike for you... Same motor as r1 (essentially) so it's going to have that i4 smoothness that the sv lacks, plenty of power, and comfortable to ride.

Ask your buddy to let you ride his r1? Maybe switch bikes and take a nice easy ride somewhere and get an hour of seat time on the r1 to see how it fits you?

I gotcha - I'm 26 ging on 27 I already called my ins company, I straight up gave them the VIN. Would be roughly $30-40 month more than the SV. My friend "baggyp" is going to let me ride it, but just got his forks re-built and is waiting so he can get the suspension set up properly.

As far as comfort thou I can always get the seat modified by the greatdaytoride guy. Using the http://cycle-ergo.com/ looks like the only difference is the seat angle of the R1 is 38 degree's vs the sv is 36 degree's and also get bar risers potentially to assist with that. Beyond that thou - the bike would need NOTHING (sides tires eventually and oil change right now) as far as I can tell.

I am bringing my friend w me when i go look @ it so I can get his take on it. Once I figure out if I truly want the bike the only hurdle I have to jump is to see if the bank will give me a 6.5-7k loan for 60 months lol. I work for them and my credit score is in the 770's - but who knows.

Edited by silentcropduster

I would like to clarify comfortable (confident) on the R1. When I say comfortable I am speaking of how much more confident I am on the R1 than my old SV1000. The SV was more comfortable to ride as far as seating position. 

The SV1000, to me, was unbalanced and top heavy. I didn't feel as confident riding it as I do on my R1. <~~~~ The key here is I HAD an SV1000, he HAS an SV650. I've rode both and I think the 650 is way more fun than the 1000.

The R1 he is speaking of getting is from another member on here. From whats been told it has been babied and is mint. I have also said he should look at other bikes (GSXR 600, R6, GSXR 750). I think the R1 is a lot of bike, I don't ride mine anywhere near what is was designed to handle. As I get used to it and its power I have stepped it up a little but I don't think I could ever out grow this bike. I also plan on ding some track days mine next year.

Most of our conversations on the bike he wants has been about the price and condition. I have not seen the bike personally but from whats been described to me it's nice!!! The price seems very good for what all comes on it and the miles. 

These are my opinions and nothing more. I think you should ride the bike you are most comfortable on (ass and handling), and don't let anyone tell you what or how to ride.

• Upvote 1

Too much bike for pretty much anyone, but hey get whatever floats your boat. The R6 is a better all around choice, but if you need your penis to feel bigger than the R1 will make it feel huge.

• Upvote 2

Being an avid R6 fan.... even broken r6.... They are awesome and just like everyone else has said its plenty fast enough and will most likely never ride it to its full potential lol.  But to each his own :p if you like R1 more go for it Tom Tom.  Then you can brag to Mr. Anderson that you bike is faster HAHA

I feel as if thou I am starting to outgrow the SV. Anything above a 500cc IMO for street is fast enough. But I do know that I want a nicer bike w/a smidge more power. Granted the R1 has like 40%+ more HP/TQ lol. If I wait till after I get a house...financially i think it will be much harder to afford. I can buy a bike now and have it mostly paid off in a years time. I might just keep the SV and give it to my gf & have her pay me like 2k for it - even thou it's worth more than that lol Shes going to go thru the MSF course.

decisions decisions.

Define outgrow...

I feel as if thou I am starting to outgrow the SV. Anything above a 500cc IMO for street is fast enough. But I do know that I want a nicer bike w/a smidge more power. Granted the R1 has like 40%+ more HP/TQ lol. If I wait till after I get a house...financially i think it will be much harder to afford. I can buy a bike now and have it mostly paid off in a years time. I might just keep the SV and give it to my gf & have her pay me like 2k for it  - even thou it's worth more than that lol Shes going to go thru the MSF course.

decisions decisions.

I find it hard to believe in much capacity you've "outgrown" the SV650 after 1.5 riding seasons, especially without having taken it on the track. Have you hit up twisty backroads on it? The R1 has MUCH more power than 40% more than the SV650, the SV650 has ~74hp, the R1 has 150hp. I don't think jumping onto a bike with 2x as much power as your previous is a great idea. Something like a 919, SV1000, 600, or 750 supersport would be a more sane jump in my mind. I don't think I ever outgrew my Bandit 600's potential since I never really did anything besides commute with it, and I know I'm not anywhere close to outgrowing my 919's potential either.

All that being said it is a decent deal, but I don't see the point in something like an R1 for street riding. I'd rather have something more comfortable with more practical features like an FZ6/FZ1, or a full sport touring bike like an FJR1300/Concours 14 which all still handle more than well enough to have fun on twisty roads. In my mind, bikes like the GSXRs, R6, R1, CBRs, etc belong on the track. Could I see myself owning one? Yes, but not as my only bike. I guess it's all a matter of preference though.

• Upvote 1

Being an avid R6 fan.... even broken r6.... They are awesome and just like everyone else has said its plenty fast enough and will most likely never ride it to its full potential lol.  But to each his own :p if you like R1 more go for it Tom Tom.  Then you can brag to Mr. Anderson that you bike is faster HAHA

its not totally about the speed, do it want a faster bike than the sv650? Yes, but the next bike I buy i want it to last me a good long while - as in I dont think I'll ever buy another bike, at least not for a very long time. Could I be skipping a step? As far as going from 2 extreme's...yes..but for the money I dont think I could get a nicer bike. Unless I were to go the route of getting a chromed out Harley - which I refuse to ever own one of those!

The way you're talking, I'd highly suggest the FZ1 then or something with a more sport touring orientation. I was like you once too and thought going from my 600rr to a 1000rr would be all I ever needed. Never even got a 1000rr as I came across my VFR and its been absolutely what I needed and I didn't even know it until after a year of ownership

its not totally about the speed, do it want a faster bike than the sv650? Yes, but the next bike I buy i want it to last me a good long while - as in I dont think I'll ever buy another bike, at least not for a very long time. Could I be skipping a step? As far as going from 2 extreme's...yes..but for the money I dont think I could get a nicer bike. Unless I were to go the route of getting a chromed out Harley - which I refuse to ever own one of those!

As long as it is indeed what you want, there's no problem with that, but my thinking is in that case, I'd want a "do everything" bike, which IMO, an R1 (made for pretty much one thing, racing/going fast)is not. I can't really speak to much on ergonomics since I've never sat on the SV650S, only the naked 650, so the 650S may be closer to the position of an R1 as far as low handles, high and farther back footpegs, etc.

At any rate, if you still have the SV650s around mid/late August to mid/late September I may want to take it off your hands if you haven't decided to do something else with it by then.

The way you're talking, I'd highly suggest the FZ1 then or something with a more sport touring orientation. I was like you once too and thought going from my 600rr to a 1000rr would be all I ever needed. Never even got a 1000rr as I came across my VFR and its been absolutely what I needed and I didn't even know it until after a year of ownership

I'd agree here, the FZ1 is much more of a "do it all" bike than the R1. It's more comfortable if you want to do some longer trips (a day or longer), but still has plenty of power and handles well for more spirited riding. On the plus side, the FZ1 is generally cheaper, and will likely cost less to insure.

• Upvote 1

As long as it is indeed what you want, there's no problem with that, but my thinking is in that case, I'd want a "do everything" bike, which IMO, an R1 (made for pretty much one thing, racing/going fast)is not. I can't really speak to much on ergonomics since I've never sat on the SV650S, only the naked 650, so the 650S may be closer to the position of an R1 as far as low handles, high and farther back footpegs, etc.

At any rate, if you still have the SV650s around mid/late August to mid/late September I may want to take it off your hands if you haven't decided to do something else with it by then.

I'd agree here, the FZ1 is much more of a "do it all" bike than the R1. It's more comfortable if you want to do some longer trips (a day or longer), but still has plenty of power and handles well for more spirited riding. On the plus side, the FZ1 is generally cheaper, and will likely cost less to insure.

How much you willing to offer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ NADA claims its worth 3,8k i believe and it has HID's, custom blue LED's installed with a 12v distro block that will handle 4-5 more add-on's lol. At any rate...I'm not going to go out and do wheelies or do 160MPH. If I do end up buying the R1 and I feel it's way way way way too much for me, I'd sell it. Would it be a waste of $$? Yes but I guess I'll learn my lesson. I'm pretty confident that I have good throttle control and wont push it too far, baby steps lol

I feel as if thou I am starting to outgrow the SV. Anything above a 500cc IMO for street is fast enough. But I do know that I want a nicer bike w/a smidge more power. Granted the R1 has like 40%+ more HP/TQ lol. If I wait till after I get a house...financially i think it will be much harder to afford. I can buy a bike now and have it mostly paid off in a years time. I might just keep the SV and give it to my gf & have her pay me like 2k for it - even thou it's worth more than that lol Shes going to go thru the MSF course.

8%

decisions decisions.

That is the mentality of a 19/20 year old. Unless you are at the track every single weekend you are never going to reach nowhere the potential of an sv650. It's just a fact of life. Just stay on the SV and prevent a fallen rider thread because someone was getting close to out growing a liter bike. The only bikes one truly out grows are children when progressing from an 50cc dirt bike through a 125 and finally onto a 250 or 450. I can guarantee with also 100% certainty 99.9% of us would never ride a cbr250 to its potential. Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 2

That is the mentality of a 19/20 year old. Unless you are at the track every single weekend you are never going to reach nowhere the potential of an sv650. It's just a fact of life. Just stay on the SV and prevent a fallen rider thread because someone was getting close to out growing a liter bike. The only bikes one truly out grows are children when progressing from an 50cc dirt bike through a 125 and finally onto a 250 or 450. I can guarantee with also 100% certainty 99.9% of us would never ride a cbr250 to its potential.

Qft

• Upvote 1

Like it just really grinds my gears, people who want to jump onto a super fast bike, but...

Their body position sucks, they can't keep a straight line in turns, don't know what to do when they hit gravel.

I'm not on to talk because I know all that of mine sucks, but that's why I am still on my ninja 650.

It's forgiving, I can manipulate the controls easily, manipulate my body easily, all with somewhat manageable power.

Ie: going into a turn and if I crack the throttle well I'm not going to be going 120mph.

People need to learn control and master smaller bikes before they can even think about jumping on a 600ss or a 600lbs+ cruiser

• Upvote 1

Go buy yourself a Barrett .50 cal too, they will also make your cock HUGE. I know you are going to be way in over your head on an R1, and the practicality of it makes no sense for you IMHO "other than you think it is a good deal and you are probably getting made fun of from somebody because they say you ride a wimpy 650"? If you didnt think you were honestly making a possible mistake, then why the hell ask us what we think? There is a shitload of riders on this forum that can ride the wheels off a motorcycle, and many of those riders do not ride a bike with the HP and speed that an R1 has. You also don't venture out and ride the twisty roads here in Ohio and or venture to states like VA/WV/KY/TENN/NC......so why would you want a bike that does not like to go straight nor was it designed to go straight? Hey I am trying to be your logic and reasoning, and you sure as hell do not have the riding experience for anything over a 600 inline 4. Just my opinion of course, well actually this probably isn't just my opinion.

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That is the mentality of a 19/20 year old. Unless you are at the track every single weekend you are never going to reach nowhere the potential of an sv650. It's just a fact of life. Just stay on the SV and prevent a fallen rider thread because someone was getting close to out growing a liter bike. The only bikes one truly out grows are children when progressing from an 50cc dirt bike through a 125 and finally onto a 250 or 450. I can guarantee with also 100% certainty 99.9% of us would never ride a cbr250 to its potential.

So now I have the mentality of a 19/20 year old? Are you kidding me? Your only 27, I'll be 27 in about a month.

Go by yourself a Barrett .50 cal too, they will also make your cock HUGE. I know you are going to be way in over your head on an R1, and the practicality of it makes no sense for you IMHO "other than you think it is a good deal and you are probably getting made fun of from somebody because they say you ride a wimpy 650"? If you didnt think you were honestly making a possible mistake, then why the hell ask us what we think? There is a shitload of riders on this forum that can ride the wheels off a motorcycle, and many of those riders do not ride a bike with the HP and speed that an R1 has. You also don't venture out and ride the twisty roads here in Ohio and or venture to states like VA/WV/KY/TENN/NC......so why would you want a bike that does not like to go straight nor was it designed to go straight? Hey I am trying to be your logic and reasoning, and you sure as hell do not have the riding experience for anything over a 600 inline 4. Just my opinion of course, well actually this probably isn't just my opinion.

sorry Brian damn phone gave u neg rep tryed to get u positive because that 50cal line was funny as hell!!!!

Go by yourself a Barrett .50 cal too, they will also make your cock HUGE. I know you are going to be way in over your head on an R1, and the practicality of it makes no sense for you IMHO "other than you think it is a good deal and you are probably getting made fun of from somebody because they say you ride a wimpy 650"? If you didnt think you were honestly making a possible mistake, then why the hell ask us what we think? There is a shitload of riders on this forum that can ride the wheels off a motorcycle, and many of those riders do not ride a bike with the HP and speed that an R1 has. You also don't venture out and ride the twisty roads here in Ohio and or venture to states like VA/WV/KY/TENN/NC......so why would you want a bike that does not like to go straight nor was it designed to go straight? Hey I am trying to be your logic and reasoning, and you sure as hell do not have the riding experience for anything over a 600 inline 4. Just my opinion of course, well actually this probably isn't just my opinion.

No one's ever made fun of me bec I ride a 650....