Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

I feel as if thou I am starting to outgrow the SV. Anything above a 500cc IMO for street is fast enough. But I do know that I want a nicer bike w/a smidge more power. Granted the R1 has like 40%+ more HP/TQ lol.

You've mixed your math up.  The R1 has 139% more HP than the SV650.  The SV650 has 40% of the HP of an R1

Speed triple is 1050cc 130hp

Street triple is 675cc 110hp

Street will be more comfy

Street r is 675 with handeling and braking goodies

The only issue I see with it thou is the fact that its a naked bike and ill get hit with every bug or pebble that comes my way.

I did find one on craigslsit thou:

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/3899902841.html

price is a tad high - he does have a lot done to it, but also the miles are at 9k and its only 2 years old. I am going to research this bike as best i can and see how much it costs for replacment parts etc. If everything checks out OK I'll contact him. Not sure what's a fair price thou retail is 7,1xx and he' asking 7,800? Offer $6,500 ?

I want race bike handling with long distance comfort....I guess thats where I'm going with all of this

What is your definition of long distance? There are plenty of people on here who do 350+ miles day on supersports and are fine. Jbot and myself just did 300+ miles and I was perfectly fine until about a half hour from home when my throttle hand got tired (my fault for not having a crampbuster for slabs). Are there better choices for that? Sure, but it's not too bad as long as you're riding twisty back roads. Long boring highway rides are another story.

I'd say stick with the SV, especially if it means not having to take out a loan for a toy. Financing a seven year old bike for five years seems silly, especially if you get tired of it and want a different bike.

You won't get that with a supersport... You just described an fz1

Get something upright for comfort... Plenty of sport standard bikes handle as well as a supersport in the hands of an average rider

Check out the cb1k for sale on this forum... I love mine. Handles amazingly and has plenty of power... Had it a couple weeks and already getting used to having less wind protection.. It's not a big deal.. Gonna get a windscreen and then I'll be set to ride it as far as I want

Edited by Steve Butters

Yup I read FZ1 in his want too. DO NOT GET A VFR....unless you're buyin mine for slightly more than the R1 :D

VFR is a great bike... It handles well, has decent power... I don't think it would fit his particular needs though... I loved mine, but I don't miss it in the slightest... Especially now that my neck muscles are getting more conditioned to the wind.. Best upgrade ever lol... I don't think I'll ever ride anything other than a sport standard like my cb or an fz1 etc... Probably pick up a fjr though soon as my current bike is paid off, but only as a second bike for some long distance stuff

This is completley Irrelevant but seeing as how I do not want to make a new topic and this one is so popular......

Anyone see any reason in taking my bike to IP for 600 mile service? Seeing as how its been dropped I think Warranty is out the window.  I'm thinking just change it myself and not waste the money for them to do nothing.. 

:threadjacked:        Be gentle.......

This is completley Irrelevant but seeing as how I do not want to make a new topic and this one is so popular......

Anyone see any reason in taking my bike to IP for 600 mile service? Seeing as how its been dropped I think Warranty is out the window. I'm thinking just change it myself and not waste the money for them to do nothing..

:threadjacked: Be gentle.......

Fuck that.. Over a hundred dollars to change oil and check some torque specs? Just change it yourself and go through owners manual and manually perform the rest of 600 mi service... Just broke 600 on mine, did oil Saturday night and next weekend I'll be going and double checking all the torque specs recommended in the 600mi service... I just can't justify spending over a hundred dollars on a glorified motorcycle oil change

• Upvote 2

Fuck that.. Over a hundred dollars to change oil and check some torque specs? Just change it yourself and go through owners manual and manually perform the rest of 600 mi service... Just broke 600 on mine, did oil Saturday night and next weekend I'll be going and double checking all the torque specs recommended in the 600mi service... I just can't justify spending over a hundred dollars on a glorified motorcycle oil change

I second that!

VFR is a great bike... It handles well, has decent power... I don't think it would fit his particular needs though... I loved mine, but I don't miss it in the slightest... Especially now that my neck muscles are getting more conditioned to the wind.. Best upgrade ever lol... I don't think I'll ever ride anything other than a sport standard like my cb or an fz1 etc... Probably pick up a fjr though soon as my current bike is paid off, but only as a second bike for some long distance stuff

I completely agree the VFR isn't what it sounds like he wants. But I figured I'd pimp mine just in case he bit on it :D

my 998s final edition is way cooler than any of these bikes. just hand me $8500, and you'll never have to worry about how to melt a heart made of stone... you just add ice, which you will be cooler than if you rode a 998s final edition.

The street triple is nice.. I doubt he ran 10.5 quarter on it though.. They're not too much faster than your sv in a straight line... Look for a z1000, cb1000r, fz1, ninja 1000 (not zx10), b king, speed triple, 990 super duke... There's a few to get you started

The street triple you posted looks very nice and would be an awesome step up from the sv, but I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

I thought the whole point was to not get liter bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

You don't listen very well. You said you wanted more acceleration in a straight line, so I suggested some options to give you that without being cramped up on an r1 or supersport.

Just because it has 1000ccs doesn't mean it's a supersport... You already ride a naked 600, not sure why you would spend 7k to switch to a different naked 600 that doesn't offer much more power than what you're on.

I listed bikes that fit the criteria you asked for, fast in a straight line, race bike handling, all day comfort... An r1 doesn't fit that mold, that's why it's been turned down

If you posted "I want a super bike that I don't plan to ride for more than an hour at a time"... Then maybe more people would be on board with an r1

Buy whatever floats your boat... Just giving you suggestions

• Upvote 1