Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

I was kind of in the same boat you are a few weeks ago. Started out on an 2004 R6, rode it for two years on the street, then wrecked it at my third track day. I didn't outgrow it by any means, but I did feel it was very lacking on the street as far as low/mid power and ergonomics. I decided to turn it into a track dedicated bike and pick up something more street-oriented. After much research, it seemed that a 2011 Triumph Speed Triple would be the best bike for me. I found one with 2500 miles and a full Arrow titanium exhaust for $8600 a few days ago. I've only gotten the chance to ride it a few times since due to work and rain, but it is completely different from my R6. Very torquey and comfortable. The styling is very polarizing, but it looks better in person than in pictures and I like it more every time I see it. Just another option to consider...

Unless you find an idiot 16 year old and sell it to him with a clear conscious, your listed modifications bring the value down, percieved abuse...

Perceived abuse? How do you figure that? I'm OCD about my bike and take very good care of it. And my listed mod's bring it down? Please enlighten me...

Also, I don't know what you're doing, but NADA value states average retail = $3,300. Blue Book States $3,210 for retail... Selling privately = not as much as retail.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2005/Suzuki/SV650SK5-645cc/Values

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/sv650s/2005-suzuki-sv650s/suggestedretailvalue/

I was on their site a few days ago and it claimed 3,8xxk,maybe I put something in wrong idk? lol I was going to say 3.5k is what I'd sell it for seeing how it has new sprockets, chain, and oil. But if it's only work 3.2k retail then 3k is  fair price. I'm not even sure I'm selling it thou, I kinda need a new bike 1st and Idk if I'm going to get this R1 or not.

Book Value for it is 8k ish and it only has 3,9xx miles....I dont think thats a bad deal.

once again book value doesn't mean shit. Once you figure that out you'll stop overpaying for bikes. If I paid "book value" on every bike I've bought I would have lossed thousands instead of MAKING thousands

your mind is already made up and doesn't seem like you actually want to listen to people who have gone through the same thing. Just get the R1 and in 2 years when/if you decide that its not the bike you want forever because its uncomfortable for street riding compared to other excellent options you can take the loss of cash on it and come back and say "damn, that BAD asshole was right"

once again book value doesn't mean shit. Once you figure that out you'll stop overpaying for bikes. If I paid "book value" on every bike I've bought I would have lossed thousands instead of MAKING thousands

your mind is already made up and doesn't seem like you actually want to listen to people who have gone through the same thing. Just get the R1 and in 2 years when/if you decide that its not the bike you want forever because its uncomfortable for street riding compared to other excellent options you can take the loss of cash on it and come back and say "damn, that BAD asshole was right"

Your just not getting it, I understand how BBV works, it's the starting asking point. that fact that he's asking 1k less then BBV and the bike is mint w crazy low miles....how is that over paying? 

Do tell bec I gotta hear this!

Your just not getting it, I understand how BBV works, it's the starting asking point. that fact that he's asking 1k less then BBV and the bike is mint w crazy low miles....how is that over paying? 

Do tell bec I gotta hear this!

:lol: I guess my spreadsheet of vehicle purchases and sales in the last 10 years being in the black on all depreciating assets just isn't getting it. My bad dude!

Its more than I would pay for a 6.5-7 year old bike and personally is what I call "Harley Pricing". Its absolutely not a bad price but its something I wouldn't touch. It looks pristine and the low mileage is great and I hope he can get 7k for it. I just think you are over valuing book price and thus screwing future silentcropduster out of $

I had a 2006 SV650s.  I never even came close to out growing the bike, but I did always want an inline 4. I just loved the sound of it over the vtwin sound of the sv650. So I understand where he's coming from with wanting the R1. 

I also don't think he's all to committed to the litre over like an R6, he's just going for the R1 cause he feels he's getting a deal on that bike.

Most importantly, you are the one riding and paying for it, no one else. You make the decisions as to what bike you want to buy/ride and how hard you want to twist the throttle.

When I was 19, I wanted a new SUV. I way overpaid because I was so set on getting one, even against the words of family most importantly my father. Nothing anyone could have told me then would have swayed me otherwise. When I get my mind set on something, I don't care what anyone else would have said.

If you TL/DR this post here's the summary: Get the bike & Enjoy.

I had a 2006 SV650s.  I never even came close to out growing the bike, but I did always want an inline 4. I just loved the sound of it over the vtwin sound of the sv650. So I understand where he's coming from with wanting the R1. 

I also don't think he's all to committed to the litre over like an R6, he's just going for the R1 cause he feels he's getting a deal on that bike.

Most importantly, you are the one riding and paying for it, no one else. You make the decisions as to what bike you want to buy/ride and how hard you want to twist the throttle.

When I was 19, I wanted a new SUV. I way overpaid because I was so set on getting one, even against the words of family most importantly my father. Nothing anyone could have told me then would have swayed me otherwise. When I get my mind set on something, I don't care what anyone else would have said.

If you TL/DR this post here's the summary: Get the bike & Enjoy.

your exactly right - no one ever uses any bike to it's 100% full potential & Im looking for something with more power. I have to decide rather quick thou bec the R1 might be sold by wednesday.

I am looking into the R6, I have found a few thou.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3904744463.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3889106271.html < -  salvage title thou :-(

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3841067231.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3832886412.html < - rebuilt motor, salvage title :-(

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3853016325.html  -seems like a good deal

not a good deal until its under $4k and even then I'd only pay $3200 or so. I don't know the R6 market as well as the 600rr, 636 and VFR though as those are where I've done a lot of my buying and selling

not a good deal until its under $4k and even then I'd only pay $3200 or so. I don't know the R6 market as well as the 600rr, 636 and VFR though as those are where I've done a lot of my buying and selling

Uh, bbv is $4213.749

Edited by Steve Butters
  • Upvote 1

:lol: I guess my spreadsheet of vehicle purchases and sales in the last 10 years being in the black on all depreciating assets just isn't getting it. My bad dude!

Its more than I would pay for a 6.5-7 year old bike and personally is what I call "Harley Pricing". Its absolutely not a bad price but its something I wouldn't touch. It looks pristine and the low mileage is great and I hope he can get 7k for it. I just think you are over valuing book price and thus screwing future silentcropduster out of $

your just an angry mexican lol. I hear u thou - but I dont think the guy is going to budge much more on the price. The bike needs nothing except an oil change. I guess I have to decide do I want an R1 which has more power than I'll ever use & will NEVER outgrow or get something smaller like an R6 which has more usable power, that I will eventually out grow.

your just an angry mexican lol. I hear u thou - but I dont think the guy is going to budge much more on the price. The bike needs nothing except an oil change. I guess I have to decide do I want an R1 which has more power than I'll ever use & will NEVER outgrow or get something smaller like an R6 which has more usable power, that I will eventually out grow.

You are not going to out grow an r6 and even if you get anywhere close you would be racing professionally.