Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

I couldn't disagree more unless you are losing money on each purchase. In that event then I agree

I did this with cars in the passed, I'm almost 27 and I've had 5 cars now, I finally found the right one "tho"...2011 Mazda Speed 3. And your most likely going to loose money on anything you buy and re-sell. However you may get lucky once in a while. It's just how it is. I was seriously considering saying eff it and get an R6 or R1 and keeping the SV. Whichever one I dislike the most come the end of winter, sell.

i dunno why you're wasting time with these plebeians and their jap bikes. you need a 998s if you wanna ride a real bike and look the part too

your bike looks extremely uncomfortable, that gas tank would jab into my gut lol

It does look like a very nice well kept bike tho, ill give you that much cred!

Edited by silentcropduster

I did this with cars in the passed, I'm almost 27 and I've had 5 cars now, I finally found the right one "tho"...2011 Mazda Speed 3. And your most likely going to loose money on anything you buy and re-sell. However you may get lucky once in a while. It's just how it is. I was seriously considering saying eff it and get an R6 or R1 and keeping the SV. Whichever one I dislike the most come the end of winter, sell.

In my experience its harder with cars but if you know what you're doing its simple. I have 2 friends that flip cars on the side for fun and small profit.

I've personally never bought a motorcycle I knew I could lose money on. The VFR is the closest thing and I bet I could still break even if I sold it today. IF you know what you're doing, its rather simple

In my experience its harder with cars but if you know what you're doing its simple. I have 2 friends that flip cars on the side for fun and small profit.

I've personally never bought a motorcycle I knew I could lose money on. The VFR is the closest thing and I bet I could still break even if I sold it today. IF you know what you're doing, its rather simple

I gotcha

find me a good deal on an R6 or R1 then :-)

I don't know yamaha's like I do CBR, VFR, or 636's so I don't know if my usual guidelines can work or not.

What I'd be looking for is a generation or two old, under 12k miles and $4500 or less. If you can find something fitting those parameters, there is a good chance you can at minimum break even. I've always found ones with cosmetic issues I could use to pay less for the bike then fix them on the cheap so you can sell at a higher price because its now nicer

I don't know yamaha's like I do CBR, VFR, or 636's so I don't know if my usual guidelines can work or not.

What I'd be looking for is a generation or two old, under 12k miles and $4500 or less. If you can find something fitting those parameters, there is a good chance you can at minimum break even. I've always found ones with cosmetic issues I could use to pay less for the bike then fix them on the cheap so you can sell at a higher price because its now nicer

I gotcha, I dont have the straight up cash thou, I'm probably going to finance it. My credit score is above 750. So it shouldnt be hard, and I'd probably pay it off early as well. I've been doing an ass ton of research and I think and R6 will be enough power for me, would be hopefully the same insurance as my SV or comparable, would be good in the twisties (compared to an R1). With the money I'd save buying the R6 vs the R1 I could get small upgrades done here and there to the R6.

Since a motorcycle is a fun thing and not a I need this as my only mode of transportation, I would never be able to finance one. I just think its a bad choice financially to finance a toy.

Since a motorcycle is a fun thing and not a I need this as my only mode of transportation, I would never be able to finance one. I just think its a bad choice financially to finance a toy.

I understand, but I do use mine 4 out of 5 days a week to commute to work, it's cheaper on gas.

flipping bikes is too much hassle.  i'll still do it when the profit is high enough, but having to go to the godawful shithole known as the bmv is enough for me to not do it.

flipping bikes is too much hassle.  i'll still do it when the profit is high enough, but having to go to the godawful shithole known as the bmv is enough for me to not do it.

the BMV is definitely the worst part though I've lucked out because the one down here by my office has been awesome. The workers are actually friendly and knowledgeable, I can do title and plates in the same place and there is hardly ever more than a 5 minute wait

I went from a 1k supersport (from 97 but still a fast bike) to a bandit 1200 and I love it. If you want torque you can actually use without a flux capacitor, get something along the lines of fz1, b12, zxr, sprint 955, cb1000r, zxr1000.....power on demand. Granted, the r1 has huge balls with barbed wire pubes and it has plenty of low end grunt, but once you pass 6k and come up on the cams it can be super hard to keep the front wheel down and the back one planted. Ride a few sport-standard and sport-touring bikes, see how they feel. My TL1000s was a mean ass machine, run up 1st and 2nd and you're doing 90mph on one wheel, but even with heli bar risers it was a torture rack for anything over 100miles....that full tuck really wears on your neck and wrists. Ride a few bikes, I'd let you take my bandit out for a spin to see how you like it. You don't need 173648 horsepower and 99374 lbs of torque to have fun on a bike.

• Upvote 2

I went from a 1k supersport (from 97 but still a fast bike) to a bandit 1200 and I love it. If you want torque you can actually use without a flux capacitor, get something along the lines of fz1, b12, zxr, sprint 955, cb1000r, zxr1000.....power on demand. Granted, the r1 has huge balls with barbed wire pubes and it has plenty of low end grunt, but once you pass 6k and come up on the cams it can be super hard to keep the front wheel down and the back one planted. Ride a few sport-standard and sport-touring bikes, see how they feel. My TL1000s was a mean ass machine, run up 1st and 2nd and you're doing 90mph on one wheel, but even with heli bar risers it was a torture rack for anything over 100miles....that full tuck really wears on your neck and wrists. Ride a few bikes, I'd let you take my bandit out for a spin to see how you like it. You don't need 173648 horsepower and 99374 lbs of torque to have fun on a bike.

I wished u lived closer

I understand, but I do use mine 4 out of 5 days a week to commute to work, it's cheaper on gas.

Do the math.  riding to work is rarely a money-saving proposition.  You might break even, but unless you are riding a VERY inexpensive bike, and have a pretty long commute, the cost of the bike, bike insurance, riding gear, tires, etc. are usually greater than your fuel savings.

that said, if you want a bike for fun, that is a separate justification beyond the gas savings.  It just kills me when people tell me they're going to buy a bike "to save money."  Right... Because spending thousands on an additional vehicle, hundreds on insurance, and another grand or so on gear is the best way to save money? 

like i said, it takes a REALLY cheap bike and a pretty long commute to overcome the investment costs.

Edited by redkow97

Do the math.  riding to work is rarely a money-saving proposition.  You might break even, but unless you are riding a VERY inexpensive bike, and have a pretty long commute, the cost of the bike, bike insurance, riding gear, tires, etc. are usually greater than your fuel savings.

that said, if you want a bike for fun, that is a separate justification beyond the gas savings.  It just kills me when people tell me they're going to buy a bike "to save money."  Right... Because spending thousands on an additional vehicle, hundreds on insurance, and another grand or so on gear is the best way to save money? 

like i said, it takes a REALLY cheap bike and a pretty long commute to overcome the investment costs.

I get what your saying, but I dont have a bike just to save gas. I'd have a bike regardless, but the added benefit of getting 50 MPG vs 24 is a definite PLUS. It does save wear and tear on my car, I drive about 10 min 1 way to work and back. My car has a turbo and it's barely even upto engine temp by the time I pull into work. Plus I can cheat and use the bike parking we have at Chase, I get a spot instantly. Finding a parking spot at chase Monday thru Friday can take 5 mins or 20 mins. My sanity alone is enough encouragment to ride my bike to work.

Then u have the added benefit of riding for fun!

Edited by silentcropduster

Mines first gen, that's second gen.Both are great. Coming off an sv , IMHO, I feel mine would scare the pants off of you the first time you cracked into it. It's 136 rwhp and 73 ft lbs of torque. Under 7k the bike is incredible in town and just to cruise. Wanna play? roll the throttle alittle more and hang on.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92